We have been staying at this hotel for the past 9 years and will probably be our last. We checked in with an upgrade and when we arrived at our room, the door was open and maintanence was inside repairing the AC unit. One of the housekeeping staff was kind enough to go back down to the front desk to see what was up. We did not see her again, but another person, (no clue who) told us to go back down to the front desk to get a different room. We did and all the five people at the front just looked at us like they had no idea what we were doing down there. The maintenance guys (Tim and his supervisor) were very kind and told us they would get the room finished up in a few minutes and we could go back up and get settled in. We did and they were most apologetic about us having to wait and be in the room while they did the repairs. Upon unpacking, we noticed 3 of the peices of furniture had legs that were broken and sitting at a very uneven position. Tim did screw on of them back in while they were there. We noticed the others ones were broken after they left. We got a chance to unpack our bathroom stuff and noticed caulking comming out and some missing around the Jacuzzi, and paint peeling off the overhead AC vent. The shower was awful. There was no place to place any items other than the bar of soap, except on the floor. There was never any hot water, only warm and that was after we let the water run for at least 3-4 minutes in both the shower and the faucet. (what a waste of water, especially when they have notices in the room to hang your towels back up if you wish to conserve resources!)
When we got back from our visit with our family, we sat down on the couch and I noticed the fabric on the whole arm of the chair was ripped off.
There was only one trash can in the bathroom, and none near the desk or the kitchen. We did ask our housekeeper for another one the following day and she was great about getting two of them for us. There was also no dish towel in the kitchen near the sink.
On Sunday , we arrived back into our room after breakfast and the ceiling was leaking. We were going to our daughters for the day, and maintence came up to fix the leak while we were gone. We had towels down, it was leaking that bad. When we got back late Sunday night, the towels were still on the floor where we left them and the filter was not put back in the AC unit. It was sitting by the wall near the TV. We didn't bother to notify the front desk as it was late, we were not going to move rooms, and we didn't think maintence was around to come fix the problem, and we didn't want them in the room at 10pm anyway. When we got up Monday morning to leave, housekeeping had not stocked our bathroom ( I am guessing that maintence was still in there working and she could not get in to the bathroom) so we had only one bath towel between the 2 of us. You can guess that we were not happy campers.
The elevator has to be the slowest one ever. We took the stairs when ever we needed to go up or down. Every time we did, water was standing on the floor in the stairwell with towels and rolls placed near the door to soak up all the water. It was raining the whole time we were there, so we can understand where the water came from.
We did notice while eating breakfast (which was good, well run and stocked) the manager was around the breakfast area checking to make sure everything was running well. I was going to tell him about all the missteps while we were there, but never could catch him and didn't have time to wait as we had family obligations right after breakfast.
The housekeeping staff was great as were the maintenace staff. We had no problems with them until the episode on the last night.
I do not think the hotel has been refurbished at all in the 9 years we have been staying there, and the whole place looks tired and run down. I got the impression this is a new manager and they are trying to attend to things, but we will not stay there again. We never once got a call from any of the staff to make sure the items we reported were taken care of.
There is a nice Staybridge Suites just down the road, so will try it next time we visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our hotel is conveniently located between Wrightsville Beach & Historic Wilmington. We offer great amenities, such as a newly resurfaced outdoor pool with brand new patio furniture, complimentary Wi-Fi access, hot breakfast featuring our signature cinnamon rolls, eggs, bacon or sausage, grits, biscuits, assorted fruits, assorted cereals, assorted drinks, along with yogurt and pancakes. We are the only hotel in Wilmington that has charcoal grills available. Our hotel is a great place for leisure travelers. Some of North Carolina's most beautiful beaches are just seven miles away. We are close to the USS North Carolina Battleship & Children's Museum of Wilmington. Families can visit the Cape Fear Museum or explore historic downtown. Corporate guests soon find out why we're one of the best hotels in Wilmington as we offer business work stations with printing capabilities as well as access to copy and fax services. We have more than 1,400 sq ft of flexible meeting space available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, IHG, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express And Suites
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Wilmington
- Holiday Inn Express Wilmington
- Holiday Inn Wilmington
- Wilmington Holiday Inn