Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA
“Amazing stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

I usually don't write reviews, but I always come on TripAdvisor to check them out. With that being said I felt I needed to write something about both Holiday Inn Express in Wilmington and their staff. I stayed with my two young children and my parents for a long weekend and had the most amazing experience. The front desk staff saw that I was in a wheelchair and switched us to a first floor room that was adjoining to my parents room, which made our trip so much easier and enjoyable. I didn't expect the hotel to be so wheelchair friendly but the wheel-in shower and the pool area were amazing. The hot breakfast in the morning was the kids favorite part. They have a pancake maker that made perfect pancakes. Much better than the typical Continental Breakfasts provided at other places. I don't stay at many hotels because it seems to be a hassle but the employees were so accommodating and friendly I will definitely be coming back!!!
Kristen

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Kristen L.,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington – University Center by filling out an online review. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, facilities and that your stay was so enjoyable. I also am glad that we provided you with such a great experience that you traded your "TripAdvisor reader" status in for a "TripAdvisor reviewer" one. With such detailed input from guests like you, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition. Thank you again for your comments.

It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington – University Center.

Ella Golden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Mebane, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel was great. The rooms are the standard newer Holiday Inn style, with nice flatscreen and good beds. The breakfast is nice, with the automatic pancake maker, and the other standard breakfast items. The pool was also good. The area was nice, near UNC Wilmington, There is a mall, WalMart, and a lot of restaurants nearby. Wrightsville Beach is about 5 miles away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear WI_Traveller,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center. We appreciate knowing the things that pleased you during your stay, and thank you for taking the time to convey your thoughts to us via your TripAdvisor review.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us. Our complimentary hot breakfast bar is a great way to add value to your stay, and is always a hit with our guests. Our hotel's location in mid-town Wilmington, NC also does make it very easy to enjoy multiple attractions while you're in our area. I hope that you enjoyed your time at UNCW and Wrightsville Beach!

Again, thank you for your review. We hope that you will be able to return to coastal North Carolina again soon, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Darby, Montana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I do have to say that the front desk staff were very pleasant and professional And it is not them that are responsible for housekeeping or the condition of the rooms. That being said the housekeeping at this place is a joke. Towels are rationed and you never know what you will end up with each day. I really apperciated the wake up from house keeping to ask " If I was checking out today? " I guess she had plans and I needed to be up early and out so she could get out of there early ( check out was listed as Noon ) I have included pictures to show various issues with this place. For those of you OIF and OEF vets you will know what I am saying here when I say I had a better stay at the transient tents at Ali Al Saleem in Kuwait ( the tents are cleaner and cooler ) and yes that was in the summer. The halls in this place were an average temp of 86 ( yep have a laser thermometer ) the swamp cooler in the room was able to get it down to the mid 60's . and I was on an afternoon sun side room. The property has 130 or so rooms and 1 washer dryer ( other places will say 70 rooms have had 3 washer/dryer )
These may seem like " Nitpicky " things but when you are paying $100+ a night you expect a few things. I really enjoyed seeing that they charge $12.50 for a can of coke ( see picture of vending machine ) You can tell this was a Holiday Inn from the 60' /70's as it has a real dated and run down feel to it. My advise is to head to another hotel and avoid this place at all costs. This place is NOT up to the Holiday Inn Express standards.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gunnar O
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Gunnar O,

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center. We appreciate your business and we also appreciate that you took the time to reach out to us via TripAdvisor with your comments.

I will be certain to tell my Guest Services Representatives that you enjoyed interacting with them, and that you found them to be both pleasant and professional. While we appreciate knowing the things that pleased you, we also like to hear about where we can improve. I am very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with all aspects of your stay. I will be sending my contact information to you in a private message via TripAdvisor's Message service. Please feel free to reach out to me at your earliest convenience so that I may assist you with resolving the issues that you faced during your stay with us.

The level of service and cleanliness that you experienced is not in line with what we strive to offer our guests. You have my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that was caused by any of these issues, and I look forward to hearing from you so that we can reach a resolution to each problem.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

My friends and I stayed here for one night on a 5 week road trip. Our room was very nice! The decor was pretty and the beds were very comfortable. Everything was clean and quiet! We enjoyed the pancake machine at breakfast. Not the best pancakes we've ever had, it was fun!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hennygang
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear Hennygang,

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, facilities and that your stay was so enjoyable. With your input, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition. If there's anything that we can do to make your next stay a 5-star experience, please let me know. Thank you again for your comments.

Charleston, West Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Breakfast attendant is very friendly and does a great job. Breakfast is ok. Don't expect towels in the workout facility. Oh, and don't expect housekeeping to actually come take care of your room on a daily basis or completely do their job....they are unfriendly, never completely serviced the room, and one day they didn't bother to come at all. Wifi connection, not fabulous.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Elviswasrad
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Elviswasrad,

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We appreciate that you took the time to write a review on TripAdvisor describing your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate your candor and hope that you will accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that was caused by the problems during your stay.

First, thank you for your compliments regarding our breakfast hostess. I will be certain to share your review with her so that she'll know our guests truly appreciate the work that she does. Second, we are not taking your dissatisfaction lightly. I will be discussing your review with our Director of Housekeeping. I am very sorry that you were not provided with proper room service during your stay. If you ever experience an issue of any sort during a future stay with us, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will ensure that your issue gets a prompt and effective resolution.

With your input, we can constantly monitor and change our product to maintain the high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition. It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express on Van Campen in Wilmington is clean and the staff is professional. We have stayed there many times when we travel to the Wilmington area, and never been disappointed. The king suites are a welcome treat for us, as well as the business center and breakfasts provided. Property is maintained well and all services are what we have come to expect from this HIE. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ontheroadagainNC2006,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center during your recent trip to Wilmington, NC. We appreciate that you made that choice and we also truly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with our hotel with us and with other TripAdvisor members.

I enjoyed reading about your experiences with our hotel. I'm glad to hear that we've become a "home away from home" for you while you're in the Wilmington, NC area! Our king suites are a very popular choice with a lot of our guests - and really, who wouldn't enjoy having a suite with a king bed in a private bedroom and a comfortable living room area that has an additional full-size sleeper sofa?

I certainly hope that we will be able to welcome you again soon to our hotel. There's quite a bit of summer left, and autumn is also a wonderful time to visit our coastal city. If there is anything that we can do during your next stay to earn a 5-star review on TripAdvisor from you, please let me know!

Fairhope
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We chose to stay here because we have a 1 year old and we needed a suite. The other hotels in the area that offered suites were extremely expensive...this hotel was reasonably priced. This suite was perfect because our daughter slept in the living room while we stayed up a bit longer watching TV in our room. The little kitchen area was perfect for washing her bottles and keeping her milk cold. A crib wasn't available the first night we stayed, but we were able to get one the next two nights. The suite was small, but perfect for our daughter to play, crawl and walk. The hotel is centrally located between the ocean and downtown Wilmington. It was about 6 miles to the ocean and about 4 miles to downtown Wilmington...both easy drives. Walmart, Target and great restaurants are all right near the hotel. Our only complaint would be that we couldn't connect to the WiFi all three nights. We had no trouble connecting to WiFi during the days.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Amy S.,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites during your recent trip to Wilmington, NC! We appreciate that you made that decision and we thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and to other TripAdvisor members regarding your experience with our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you found one of our suites to be a perfect place to stay while you were traveling with your toddler.

While we appreciate knowing the things that please you, we also appreciate knowing the areas in which we could improve. I am very sorry that there was no crib available for use during your first night with us, and I apologize for any inconvenience that was caused by that issue. I also am sorry that you experienced troubles connecting to our hotel's wireless internet service during certain times of your stay. If you ever experience this issue during a future stay, please feel free to call our dedicated technical support team (their phone number is on every guest room desk) and they will work to ensure that you are given connectivity.

I hope that your family will be able to return again soon to the Wilmington area. After all, there's plenty of summertime left in 2012! Of course, autumn is a beautiful time to visit the Carolina coast, as well. No matter when it is that you are able to return to our area, though, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.