“Housekeeping is terrible.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Charleston, West Virginia
“Housekeeping is terrible.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

Breakfast attendant is very friendly and does a great job. Breakfast is ok. Don't expect towels in the workout facility. Oh, and don't expect housekeeping to actually come take care of your room on a daily basis or completely do their job....they are unfriendly, never completely serviced the room, and one day they didn't bother to come at all. Wifi connection, not fabulous.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elviswasrad
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Elviswasrad,

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We appreciate that you took the time to write a review on TripAdvisor describing your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate your candor and hope that you will accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that was caused by the problems during your stay.

First, thank you for your compliments regarding our breakfast hostess. I will be certain to share your review with her so that she'll know our guests truly appreciate the work that she does. Second, we are not taking your dissatisfaction lightly. I will be discussing your review with our Director of Housekeeping. I am very sorry that you were not provided with proper room service during your stay. If you ever experience an issue of any sort during a future stay with us, please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will ensure that your issue gets a prompt and effective resolution.

With your input, we can constantly monitor and change our product to maintain the high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition. It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Ella Golden

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The Holiday Inn Express on Van Campen in Wilmington is clean and the staff is professional. We have stayed there many times when we travel to the Wilmington area, and never been disappointed. The king suites are a welcome treat for us, as well as the business center and breakfasts provided. Property is maintained well and all services are what we have come to expect from this HIE. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ontheroadagainNC2006,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center during your recent trip to Wilmington, NC. We appreciate that you made that choice and we also truly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with our hotel with us and with other TripAdvisor members.

I enjoyed reading about your experiences with our hotel. I'm glad to hear that we've become a "home away from home" for you while you're in the Wilmington, NC area! Our king suites are a very popular choice with a lot of our guests - and really, who wouldn't enjoy having a suite with a king bed in a private bedroom and a comfortable living room area that has an additional full-size sleeper sofa?

I certainly hope that we will be able to welcome you again soon to our hotel. There's quite a bit of summer left, and autumn is also a wonderful time to visit our coastal city. If there is anything that we can do during your next stay to earn a 5-star review on TripAdvisor from you, please let me know!

Fairhope
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We chose to stay here because we have a 1 year old and we needed a suite. The other hotels in the area that offered suites were extremely expensive...this hotel was reasonably priced. This suite was perfect because our daughter slept in the living room while we stayed up a bit longer watching TV in our room. The little kitchen area was perfect for washing her bottles and keeping her milk cold. A crib wasn't available the first night we stayed, but we were able to get one the next two nights. The suite was small, but perfect for our daughter to play, crawl and walk. The hotel is centrally located between the ocean and downtown Wilmington. It was about 6 miles to the ocean and about 4 miles to downtown Wilmington...both easy drives. Walmart, Target and great restaurants are all right near the hotel. Our only complaint would be that we couldn't connect to the WiFi all three nights. We had no trouble connecting to WiFi during the days.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Dear Amy S.,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites during your recent trip to Wilmington, NC! We appreciate that you made that decision and we thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and to other TripAdvisor members regarding your experience with our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you found one of our suites to be a perfect place to stay while you were traveling with your toddler.

While we appreciate knowing the things that please you, we also appreciate knowing the areas in which we could improve. I am very sorry that there was no crib available for use during your first night with us, and I apologize for any inconvenience that was caused by that issue. I also am sorry that you experienced troubles connecting to our hotel's wireless internet service during certain times of your stay. If you ever experience this issue during a future stay, please feel free to call our dedicated technical support team (their phone number is on every guest room desk) and they will work to ensure that you are given connectivity.

I hope that your family will be able to return again soon to the Wilmington area. After all, there's plenty of summertime left in 2012! Of course, autumn is a beautiful time to visit the Carolina coast, as well. No matter when it is that you are able to return to our area, though, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I often go to Wilmington on business and this hotel is always my first choice. Great location next door to Wal-Mart for anything that you may have forgotten as well as many restaurant choices within walking distance or a short drive away. Staff is always friendly from check in to housekeeping to breakfast attendants. Rooms are comfortable and everything works. Good internet connection, strength, and speed. I'll be back soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear northcarolinatravele,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington – University Center by filling out an online review. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, facilities and that your stay was so enjoyable. With your input, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition. I will be certain to share all of your remarks with our staff. Thank you again for your comments.

It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington – University Center.

Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was in Wilmington just for the weekend for my best friend's bridal shower. I checked into the hotel at 11:30pm completely exhausted and was pleased with how polite and attentive the man working at the desk was. I don't remember signing up for the Priority Club (apparently free though) when I reserved my room, but they had a welcome bag of bottled water and Milano cookies waiting for me and check-out wasn't until 2pm!

Room was clean, well-maintained, HVAC system worked great to keep me cool and not sticky with humidity, bed pillows were marked as "firm" or "soft", which I thought was a great little feature, and the bed was comfy overall. My iPhone didn't want to connect to the wifi at first, but I think that was a case of user-error. Internet speeds are likely not sufficient for needy programs, but were sufficient for basic web browsing/email purposes.

Rather than the typical rush in the morning to eat/shower/dress/pack before checkout, I got up, had a leisurely breakfast downstairs, and then came up to relax in the room for a couple of hours. Left around 12:30 feeling refreshed enough to go less than a mile away to the Costco and shop for a couple of hours before my 6 hour drive back to Virginia! I was expecting to be a zombie on Sunday from all the activity and was pleasantly surprised that wasn't the case.

Would certainly recommend this hotel to others

Room Tip: Join free Priority Club for late checkout and other perks.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear suncatnin,

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center! We appreciate that you made that choice. We also truly appreciate that you took the time to reach out to us and to other TripAdvisor members via your online review.

Your positive feedback of multiple specific items will certainly give me things to commend various members of our staff on. I am glad that everything went very well for you while you were attending the bridal shower. It's great to read that you expected to feel tired after your weekend, but that our hotel allowed to return to Blacksburg in a well-rested and relaxed state.

I certainly hope that you will be able to return to Wilmington, NC soon! We look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel, with hot breakfast and good internet. Gym could be better, but that was my only real complaint. Room was spacious and clean. Staff very pleasant. Very good location, close to food, shopping and university. Will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank efm16
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear efm16,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center by filling out an online review. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

We appreciate knowing the things that please you as well as those areas that need our attention. It is our goal to provide the high quality standards you have become accustomed to from the Holiday Inn Express brand. I am sorry that you were not completely satisfied with our on-site fitness facility. For a more in-depth workout during any future visits, I would certainly encourage you to take advantage of the complimentary guest pass to the nearby Gold's Gym, which is an amenity that we offer to all of our guests. We strive to please all of our guests and appreciate your comments.

Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was in town for my friend's wedding and this was the hotel picked for the wedding party and guests. It's a great location, within in short walking distances to Target, Wal-Mart and many other stores and restaurants like Olive Garden and Waffle House, but my favorite... Chick-Fil-A is across the street. I arrived about 4 hours early for check in due to the timing of my flight and they had no issue with allowing me to check in early. The night before the wedding I had the bride's son stay with me and my daughter to give her a break and needed a fold away bed brought up and it was close to midnight. The staff brought it up with a smile and no complaints. The hotel's complimentary breakfast is decent. They have really good cinnamon rolls, surprisingly. I recommend this location 100%.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tracie M
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Dear Tracie M.,

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, facilities and that your stay was so enjoyable. It always makes me happy to hear about things like a staff member delivering a roll-away bed at midnight with a smile and no complaints! I'm also glad that you found our location to be close to many great restaurant and shopping options. With your input, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express tradition. Thank you again for your comments.