“One of our best stays, anywhere, ever.”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We checked in Monday, February 20 and checked out Tuesday, February 28. We were in town for an extended visit following a death in the family. We did not share the reason for our visit at the beginning. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful from our first night there. Over time, we mentioned the purpose of our visit to a few staff members. There were several times when staff members checked on us just to see how we were doing. One offered assistance finding local contacts for funeral related issues. The weekday breakfast hostess greeted us every morning she was there and made sure we had what we needed for breakfast each day. The coffee pots always held fresh coffee, no matter the hour, which was a huge bonus. We did have a couple of minor housekeeping issues over the week, but they took care of them very quickly.

We really felt like they were trying to help make this trip easier on us. The caring attitudes we experienced were a blessing.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

Dear All50in15,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a TripAdvisor review describing your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate the time you took to make your comments and hope that we will always be able to provide a great experience for you when you’re in Wilmington (though next time, we certainly hope for your trip to be under better circumstances). I have passed your remarks along to our staff so that they will know that our guests recognize it when they are provided with such good service.

I am so glad to hear that most aspects of your stay were enjoyable. We know that our guests value things like fresh coffee and a genuinely service-oriented staff, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy those perks during your stay. I do apologize for whatever housekeeping issue arose during your stay, but I'm happy to read that our staff was able to correct it immediately for you and your family.

Thank you, again, for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experiences with other TripAdvisor members via your online review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

We arrived around 1:30 and check-in was a breeze. The front desk staff was great and even found us a discount on the room. You don't find that very often. Our room was on the third floor and was nicely appointed and very clean. As I've stated in my other reviews, cleanliness is the most important aspect of a room. The room had a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and a nice flat screen t.v.. Also, there was a vending area on our floor with, believe it or not, affordable drinks. The bed was comfortable and there were a wide range of pillows to choose from. That was nice. If you didn't like one pillow, try the next. One of my gripes in my last review was that you couldn't close the blackout curtains. Well, they fixed that too. The room stayed nice and dark in the morning. The one thing that did bother me was the AC/Heat unit. I had full control over the unit and it performed perfectly, but it was a bit loud. I don't think there is much that can be done about that, though. And, it didn't wake me up at night, but I noticed it when watching t.v.. The complimentary breakfast was okay. I was surprised that it contained eggs (just okay), bacon, and hot cinnamon rolls. Nice! If your looking for a place to stay near UNCW then this is the place for you. It's a bit tough to get to when coming North (?) on South College. I turned into the Jeff Gordon Chevy dealership and you can cut through to Jeff Gordon drive. That connects with the road the hotel is on.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear DayAtTheBeach,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center by filling out a review on TripAdvisor. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated.

I was pleased to learn of your satisfaction with our staff, facilities and that your stay was so enjoyable. With your input, we can constantly monitor our product to maintain high standards of quality and performance that have become a Holiday Inn Express & Suites tradition. Thank you, especially, for your comments regarding the things that we have improved upon since your last stay. We truly appreciate that you gave us another chance to give you the great stay that we strive to offer!

It was indeed our pleasure serving you and we look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I had a quick one-night stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites on Van Campen Boulevard in Wilmington, NC and it was great! The staff was outstanding, the property is very nice, and the rooms are very clean. And how can you beat hot cinnamon buns for breakfast! (They also had eggs, sausage, biscuits, yogurt, fruit, juice, etc. all included with the room rate!). The location is great with plenty of places to eat within walking distance. It is only about 8 miles from Wrightsville Beach. One very SMALL complaint: The shower head made an annoying screaming sound unless you had it on very cold. Not a big deal since (hopefully) you don't spend all day in the shower!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2012

Dear lfaulds,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center during your recent quick trip to Wilmington, NC. We certainly loved having you as our guest and hope that you will be able to return soon for a longer stay! Thank you, also, for taking the time to reach out to us and to other TripAdvisor members via your online review.

I hope that we will always be able to provide such a stellar experience for you while you're in Wilmington, NC! Of course, while we appreciate knowing the things that pleased you, we also like to know where we could improve. I am sorry that the shower head in your guest room was not functioning properly during your stay. If you ever experience a problem during a future stay, no matter how small, please report it to my staff and they will work to immediately correct the situation. That's what we're here for!

Thank you again for your very specific compliments regarding the various aspects of your stay. We look forward to welcoming you again soon to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just thought I need to make a comment about this property after many stays. Pick this one! I've made reservations and I have just showed up on my visits to Wilmington....always great service and staff. I have tried others just for variety in this class of hotel...I always say to myself...shoulda stayed at Express. I have one complaint.....the hotel reeks of eggs and bacon starting around 8;30. You can't help yourself but to partake. Just do yourself a favor when picking somewhere to stay on a visit. STAY HERE. I hate I told this...don't want them to hike the great rates.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SCdittos
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2012

Dear SCdittos,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review describing one of your recent stays at our hotel. I appreciate the time you took to make your comments and hope that we will always be able to provide a great experience for you when you’re in Wilmington. I have passed your remarks along to our staff so that they will know that our guests recognize it when they are provided with such good service.

All of your remarks brought a smile to my face. I am so glad to hear that you are among the many who can't resist our delicious hot breakfast, and that you've tried other places only to end up coming back to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We love being your "home away from home" when you're in Wilmington, NC!

Again, thank your for your very kind review. We look forward to welcoming you again soon to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

As with most of my Holiday Inn Express experiences, the facility was neat, quite clean and the staff were very helpful. There's just not much to add.

The Inn is centrally located, but abuts local merchant Jeff Gordon's Chevrolet dealer; Which means you better like LIGHTS! Your choice of window landscapes are either Chevy's or the rear of the local WalMart. Hopefully, you'll be staying with someone more attractive than is offered by the view out your window.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2012

Dear Shwami,

Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center during your recent trip to coastal North Carolina. We also thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and to other TripAdvisor members via your online review.

I am glad to hear that you found our hotel to be clean and our staff to be very friendly and helpful! These assets are certainly cornerstones of any good hotel experience! While we appreciate knowing those things that please you, we also like to hear about areas that need our attention. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the ambient light from Jeff Gordon Chevrolet. There are black-out curtains installed in all of our guest rooms to block all of the lights from the city; I hope that you found yours during your stay with us.

I sincerely hope that you will stay with us again during your next trip to Wilmington. If you'd like a more relaxing view from the window of your room, I would suggest a low-floor, pool-side room. If there's anything else that I can do to make a future stay even more comfortable, please contact me directly at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed here when looking at UNCW for our son and it was a pleasant surprise! The staff was warm and welcoming, the rooms very clean and centrally located. Will stay there again if he chooses UNCW!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2012

Dear jshn1,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center during your recent trip to Wilmington, NC. We appreciate that we were your hotel of choice, and we also appreciate that you took the time to share your experiences with our hotel with other TripAdvisor members via your online review.

I'm glad that we could provide a clean and comfortable place for you to stay while you came to visit UNCW. We'll certainly be keeping our fingers crossed that your son chooses to be a Seahawk! We're very proud of our local University and love having the opportunity to get to know UNCW students and parents throughout their college journey - all the way from official campus visits to graduation and beyond.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay with us. If there's ever anything that I could do to make a future stay even more comfortable, please contact me directly at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

My company was making one of the largest presentations that we had made in 2 years. the customers wanted to meet in Wilmington, NC. After checking around and talking to the sales staff at the Holiday Inn Express, we chose to have it here. this was the best decision that i could have made! we brought in over 20 customers from 3 states. everything was perfect from start to finish. they helped us plan everything including different check in times, special needs, and dinner at a local resturaunt. i felt like they worked for our company! My customers were treated like royalty, erveryone raved on the hotel and every member of their staff. they went above and beyond to help us win this bid. i will never look anywhere else when i am in Wilmington or anywhere close by. Thank You Holiday Inn Express!

Room Tip: all rooms are great!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
WilmingtonNC1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2012

Dear James R.,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center. I am so glad to hear that our staff and our facilities made your stay such an enjoyable one! It brings me such pleasure to hear that our staff made a long-lasting impression with you and with your clients.

I hope that we will always be able to provide a great experience for you when you’re in Wilmington. I have passed your remarks along to our staff so that they will know that our guests recognize it when they are provided with such good service.

Again, thank you for your TripAdvisor review. If there is ever anything that we can do to make a future stay even more enjoyable, please feel free to contact me personally. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Wilmington - University Center.