“Excellent southern barbecue and food.”

Stephenson's Bar-b-q
Cuisines: Barbecue
“Excellent southern barbecue and food.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This place is awesome. Was on 40east and pulled over to eat a late lunch here. I'm from NC and have had barbecue all over the state and south; for the price this barbecue is as good as any. Barbecue sandwiches are $3.25 and a decent portion. You can also spend around 10 bucks for all you can eat chopped pork barbecue, Brunswick stew, or barbecue chicken. You also get a free side of amazing hush puppies and complimentary tea. We had chopped barbecue sandwich, Brunswick stew, and some barbecue chicken. Chicken was fall off the bone awesome and sandwiches were amazing as well. Recommend anyone headed to the coast of NC to stop in and enjoy the food and the nice people.

1 Thank Robert C

“Good Eastern NC BBQ”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

If you like true NC Eastern style BBQ then this is the place, the BBQ is some of the best eastern style I have had, and the chicken is good as well, service is great

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
“Fine Eastern North Carolina Barbeque”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

For 25 years before my retirement in 2002, I made several trips a month from my home in Wilmington to Raleigh. Early on, in the late 1970s before the opening of Interstate 40, I discovered Stephenson's BBQ. Throughout those years, it has remained consistently good. These days, I don't go to Raleigh as often but my wife and I veer off of I-40 just to get the BBQ. I'm addicted to good old pork BBQ. My wife enjoys BBQ chicken and tells me that Stephenson's is some of the best she's ever had. The service is friendly and quick and the prices are amazingly good. As a side benefit, their french fries are simply delicious. By the way, the place looks and smells like the real thing which it is.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank FWayne
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Tasty, reasonalbe price”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband and I have a little tradition when we travel... We look at the BBQ trail of North Carolina, if a BBQ place is on our way of our travels we plan to stop. My husband is more of a BBQ fan than I am, but I have to say Stephenson's BBQ is delicious!! I had a BBQ sandwich with slaw, best $3 spent on lunch. My husband had BBQ, Brunswick stew, fries, baked apples. We really enjoyed the pitcher of sweet tea that sits at every table and a bowl of ice that is brought out when drinks are ordered. The sweet tea was just amazing, the perfect sweetness, very refreshing on a hot summer day. Restaurant was very clean, staff was friendly, and our meals came out quick. Wake Forest NC is our hometown and we would make the 60min. drive to Stephenson's any day, even when we are not headed to the beach.

• Visited July 2012
Cary, North Carolina
“Awesome Eastern NC BBQ in authentic setting.”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Wow, what a find! We asked a local for a great BBQ recommendation and she didn't steer us wrong! The place was busy (with locals), but we were able to get a table and service right away. Delicious BBQ pork, but the menu features tons of BBQ classics and sides. BBQ chicken looked amazing. We tried the apple sauce, cole slaw, and hush puppies - in addition to our delicious pork BBQ. $6 each for a 'small pig'. We will definitely be back. This place should be featured on 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives' and has been open since 1958.