“Regarding Deadwood Steakhouse Grill”
Review of Deadwood

Deadwood
Reviewed June 1, 2014

This may be the very first bad review I have ever given a place to eat or stay, but I think it's important to share bad experiences, as well as the good, or there's no need for reviews at all. To begin with, on a Saturday evening you expect to wait at places as popular as this attraction. If you have young children - they will love the theme park, but I was there specifically for dinner. We were told our wait would be 30 to 40 minutes. We waited patiently for almost 45 minutes before checking to see if there was a problem. We were told they had a large crowd that had to be accommodated, and we would be seated shortly. Just at an hour and fifteen minutes, we were finally led to our table, where we waited for the hostess to clean the table with a cloth that had been left there after the last diners had departed. The waiter arrived fairly promptly, took our drink order, and asked if we were ready to order - after waiting over an hour. We had never been there before, so we really did feel the need to study the menu first. He was polite, but obviously rushed. After waiting this long, I decided I would at least enjoy a good meal, so we ordered the signature dish - rib eye steak. The "large" rib eye with ONE side is $19.99. For 3 or 4 dollars more, you could add an order of grilled or fried shrimp. We decided to order the rib eye and fried shrimp and share, as usually this works well for us. I asked about the possibility of a salad as one of my sides and was told, they could do that for an additional $3.99. I've never been to a steak house where a salad, one additional side -such as a potato, and the meat was not traditional. But the menu did state 'one' side. Since we were sharing, we decided to go with french fries. This meant we would receive a 'large' steak, french fries, and the additional shrimp bowl for $19.99. We were a bit irritated after waiting so long, but still hopeful we would enjoy a good meal. After a reasonable amount of time, the waiter brought our order. Almost forgot - we were also to receive a piece of Texas Toast. Our order arrived - what I would consider a small steak, french fries, a dry piece of toasted bread, and 5 pieces of fried jumbo shrimp - that were anything but jumbo. By this time, I admit I was cranky. I took my first bite of the shrimp and it 'tasted' like frozen shrimp you would buy at the supermarket and bring home to prepare. The french fries - though an ample order - tasted the same. No butter on the toast. My husband said he thought the steak was good. We ordered it medium well, and I was fine with the way it was prepared, but it was very small compared to the steaks I usually receive at our local steak and fish house. Admittedly, he is more easy to impress than I am, but I was disappointed. I was hoping for a good meal at a reasonable price - I do not feel we got either. The waiter never once came back to check on us - refill our glasses - nothing. They were very busy, but there is never an excuse for something like this, in my opinion. If I had wanted to complain about the steak - I would have had to make a special attempt to get the waiter to the table. My complaint was not so much about the preparation of the steak, as the size and the borderline acceptable taste of the shrimp, french fries, and toast. It was barely enough for my husband, and my appetite was gone by then, so I basically waited for him to eat so that we could leave. What should have taken an hour or so out of our evening ended up taking our entire evening, and there was no time left for the game of putt-putt I was hoping for. The waiter finally came by the table, said something about letting him know if we needed anything - that he wasn't trying to rush us or anything. As he turned to walk away before waiting to see if we did indeed need anything, my husband called out to him to just bring our check. He promptly returned with our check. We left a very uncomplimentary tip - something we almost NEVER do, and proceeded to leave. When we reached the cashier, she did not look up - was speaking with other employees as she took our money, finally asked - was everything good without even looking up to see what we would say, because I had planned to tell her why we were not pleased. I realize she was busy - but again - not acceptable to me. I honestly felt like we were herded into the restaurant and out as quickly as possible, to make room for others behind us. I am not the kind of person to make a scene - and it was not the fault of the line of people standing behind us wanting to pay and get on their way, so I decided I would express my disappointment in this review. Again - we are not that hard to please - good food at a reasonable price, but I felt that we got neither during this dining experience. And the worst part was that we were in the area for only one night and ended up spending all of it on a mediocre dinner. I think everyone we encountered was pleasant, but fell short in their respective duties to provide us with a pleasant dining experience. I'm not sure how they can better accommodate their customers during such a busy time, other than actually interacting with their guests - but the quality of the food was simply not up to par. Perhaps if we had ordered hamburgers like many of the other guests, we would have been happier. Since this was our first (and last) time dining there, we had no prior experience with the different things offered on the menu, but certainly expected any offering that is described as their signature dish to be more than mediocre. If time is absolutely not relevant in your dining experience - if you have children or grandchildren who love the attractions, and if you are not particular about the quality of your food - you will have no complaints. Since none of those factors applied to us, we did not consider this to be a pleasant dining experience, much less a fine dining experience. I appreciate the opportunity to express my opinion.

5  Thank MindyNorthCarolina
in 6 reviews
"halloween"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Waited an hour on Fri nite but it was worth it. Very pleasant service. Good food. Lots of outside entertainment.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a very neat place tucked away in the middle of no where. They seem to have a wide variety of everything for everyone. There are lots of things to look at, lots of things to see, great variety on the menu and the food was good and the beer was cold!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

It really is an oasis in the middle of nowhere. You turn a corner and boom , this large place jumps out at you. Very authentic and fun. Was sad that a salad did not come with our prime rib dinner. Green stuff is important when you have all of that red meat. Other than that, it was great. To be fair, we did show up about 20 minutes prior to closing. They were pleasant and there were lots of locals there which is always a good sign right?