“About what I expected.”
Review of Magnuson Hotel

Magnuson Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Williamston
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Just spent a few days at the Inn At Moratoc for a family reuninon. The place was not as bad as some of the reviews I read. This is a small town and there is not a lot of things going on in the town. So, I didn't expect a stay at the 4-Seasons for 69 bucks a night. The lady at the front desk was very nice. The breakfast was pretty good too and cheap, $7.95 for all you can eat buffet. The bed was comfortable, but the room did smell a little. Maybe like someone had smoked in there and they couldn't get the smell out. From what I understand, the hotel is about 50 years old or more, and it is showing some wear. But for what it is worth, it's not bad. The pool looks like it could do with a bit of upkeep too, but it was passable for what you get. If I had to, I would stay there again. There is a Wal-Mart right down the street if you need something. Not much in the way of food choice, but if you like Sonic, Pizza Hut, Bojangles, DQ, Taco Bell and BBQ, they are all right within a mile of each other and from the hotel. There was cable in the room, no wifi, but there was a eithernet cable. All in all, not the best, but not terrible either.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be quiet, but check to see if the room was a smoking room before you get it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank djtoohot01

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I recently returned from staying at the inn at Moratoc and the hotel was what I expected. I was very nervous after reading all of the reviews, but the room was clean and the breakfast was very good. i didn't expect the four seasons so I was not disappointed. I was in town for a family reunion and most of the relatives stayed here which was good. The woman at the front desk was very nice. I don't remember her name. There isn't much going on in Williamston. There aren't many places to eat other than you normal fast food but Greenville isn't that far away. They had a an exercise room which was small, but offered exactly what I needed for a great workout. If you like barbecue check out Shaw's nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mbagirl4
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Yes the hotel is not a new one, and I never speak to the desk clerks. But the restaurant, which had been sold along with the hotel, I have visited for decades, first with my grandmother, now with my husband and grown children. Right after the hotel sold, the restaurant nose-dived and I swore never to go back. But we were absolutely delighted to see the class restored to this still-elegant venue, and the food was the best in town. The steaks at Hitchin Post are terribly thin, (though I love your salad bar and ka-bobs) the ones at Deadwood a bit far away (and with sides, such as instant potato buried in instant sauces, and fake butter, that could use improvement-but what atmosphere). The menu is extensive, more so than before the change, but still features the old favorites such as banana fritters. For 25 cent more we swapped a house salad for a salad bar, a really nice salad bar with lots of offerings. The food was delicious and we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 1poolshark
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stay in Williamston several times a year and decided to try the Inn at Moratoc which used to be the Holiday Inn years ago. After checking in we went around to the back of the motel to our room and we were shocked. The area was in bad shape. The building were in disrepair and we stayed in room 101 on the bottom floor. I started to ask for our money back but decided to look inside the room. The room was in better shape than the exterior of the whole place. There was new carpet in the room and it was a good sized room. The king sized bed was fairly comfortable but a couple of the pillows needed to be trashed. The AC was off and it was 100 degrees outside. It was late and we decided to stay anyway. It took a few hours to cool the room. There was a coffe maker and fridge in the room. There is no internet service in the room. The pool did look well kept but the outside areas need a major overhaul. I will not stay again unless there is absolutely no where else to go. Just drive around the building before you decide to check in. I wish I had. I hope they can do some work on this place. It is a shame to let it waste away.

Room Tip: I suggest trying the Hampton Inn first. Then try the Holiday Inn Express. Save the Inn at Moratoc fo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank grayson_trout2003
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Everything is second rate, towels paper thin, outside needs paint and repair. Was ok in 1968..

• Stayed: February 2012
9  Thank John L
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This is a former holiday inn property that probably could have updated to keep its name but why would they in this small town of Williamston were everything used to be something else. Anyway, it is clean and friendly...and the best part is the very reasonable priced(cheap) breakfast served right on the property. It is fresh and served by these seniors weraing white dress clothes who know their stuff. It is not included with the hotel saty but it doesn't cost much. It is so good that many of the locals come thier just for the breakfast. My family is froma a small town nearby but we always stay here for the friendlies, barbaque down the street but mostly the breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank MsFroggy32
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Nice motel with restaurant and bar/lounge onsite. Prices were not the greatest for any of the three. Staff members were not very friendly but rooms and motel itself were very clean. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple