“Mediocre”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Poacher - CLOSED

The Poacher
Cuisines: British, European, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Rail: Tonbridge
Description: Light oak floors and modern tables, matched with a modern pub menu, makes The Poacher different from most ordinary pubs. All the food is freshly prepared and cooked onsite by head chef Andy Mclean and includes seasonal specialities such as wild boar and pheasant.The food is matched with an extensive wine list and local real ales. Both table and bar service are available which makes The Poacher a great destination for a quick pub lunch or a long celebratory dinner. In the summer, outside dining is available on the patio.Situated close to The Hop Farm and the private schools of Tonbridge.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Mediocre”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited The Poacher on 25 August for Sunday lunch. Did not get off to a great start as my partner's beer was warm and flat so he sent it back (no replacement was offered). He was rather patronisingly told by the young waiter 'it's an acquired taste'.( My partner is in his 40s and regularly drinks this brand. ) He left his starter of pate as it was pungent-tasting and unpleasant and I sent back my fish cake which was completely frozen in the middle. Drinks are expensive (about a tenner for a beer and a glass of wine). Roasts were ok but my beef was slightly overlooked and roast potatoes were reheated. Affogato and sponge pud were ok but the whole experience cost £77.80. Very disappointing.

London, United Kingdom
“Bad customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I live locally and eat out alot. There are plenty of lovely pubs and restaurants in this area. Unfortunately this one just doesn't get it. We went for lunch there a while ago and were underwhelmed. The food was ok but the atmosphere? There wasnt one.

We went back a week ago on a sunny afternoon. We walked into the bar area, there were 4 members of staff behind the bar all busy and we waited.....and waited. There were no other customers waiting just us. I think we must have been invisible as our presence standing at the bar looking at them was ignored. We obviously left after a few minutes and when we did I told them why we were leaving. The barman just looked at me and the waitress said a very unconvincing 'sorry' whilst walking away from me. I understand they were busy but a smile, saying hello and saying 'i'll be with you shortly' are just basic customer service,

Lack of staff training or just rude? We wont be going back again.

Visited August 2013
Essex, England
“Stained glass windows and good food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Previous reviewers have got it spot on. If you visit Marc Chagall's gorgeous stained glass windows in All Saints Church Tudeley, a close-by spot to get food is The Poacher. You can walk to it, (the road has no path some of the way, but it is not a busy place) but if in any doubt take the car. The food and service were very nice. A few choices on the menu were not available on the day but we were told before ordering and looked after very well.

UK
“terrible food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Visited the Poacher for a roast last Sunday 4th August and x2 roast chicken were ordered. After a taste of the chicken I had to spit it out, it was discussing. It was clearly off and the taste was of the smell you get when its gone off in the fridge and has gone slimy. How the chef didn't smell it is beyond disbelief never mind checking use by dates? My partner tasted it as well as her's was fine and she immediately got rid of it as well. I went in to tell staff and a waiter asked his colleague in front of me what to do and she said "you better take it in" no-one apologised.
A replacement was brought which was fine but I still had a bad taste in my mouth. I asked the waiter if the chef tasted it, he replied "everyone has different tastes", not sure if has asked the chef or not. No apology or offer for something off the bill. Will not be returning

Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Good food, reasonable priced”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We ate here on a Wednesday evening so it was relatively quiet. The service was good and attentive with plenty of choice on the menu; they even had the food indicated as to which was suitable for coeliacs - always a bonus for me! The beetroot and feta salad was plentiful, and the calves liver tasty. The beef burger was nothing it of th e ordinary but good all the same. Only one niggle, the chips were obviously frozen and recooked which was a shame when everything else was plainly home made.