“Bad customer service”
Review of The Poacher - CLOSED

The Poacher
Cuisines: British, European, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Rail: Tonbridge
Description: Light oak floors and modern tables, matched with a modern pub menu, makes The Poacher different from most ordinary pubs. All the food is freshly prepared and cooked onsite by head chef Andy Mclean and includes seasonal specialities such as wild boar and pheasant.The food is matched with an extensive wine list and local real ales. Both table and bar service are available which makes The Poacher a great destination for a quick pub lunch or a long celebratory dinner. In the summer, outside dining is available on the patio.Situated close to The Hop Farm and the private schools of Tonbridge.
London, United Kingdom
“Bad customer service”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I live locally and eat out alot. There are plenty of lovely pubs and restaurants in this area. Unfortunately this one just doesn't get it. We went for lunch there a while ago and were underwhelmed. The food was ok but the atmosphere? There wasnt one.

We went back a week ago on a sunny afternoon. We walked into the bar area, there were 4 members of staff behind the bar all busy and we waited.....and waited. There were no other customers waiting just us. I think we must have been invisible as our presence standing at the bar looking at them was ignored. We obviously left after a few minutes and when we did I told them why we were leaving. The barman just looked at me and the waitress said a very unconvincing 'sorry' whilst walking away from me. I understand they were busy but a smile, saying hello and saying 'i'll be with you shortly' are just basic customer service,

Lack of staff training or just rude? We wont be going back again.

Visited August 2013

Essex, England
“Stained glass windows and good food!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Previous reviewers have got it spot on. If you visit Marc Chagall's gorgeous stained glass windows in All Saints Church Tudeley, a close-by spot to get food is The Poacher. You can walk to it, (the road has no path some of the way, but it is not a busy place) but if in any doubt take the car. The food and service were very nice. A few choices on the menu were not available on the day but we were told before ordering and looked after very well.

UK
“terrible food”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Visited the Poacher for a roast last Sunday 4th August and x2 roast chicken were ordered. After a taste of the chicken I had to spit it out, it was discussing. It was clearly off and the taste was of the smell you get when its gone off in the fridge and has gone slimy. How the chef didn't smell it is beyond disbelief never mind checking use by dates? My partner tasted it as well as her's was fine and she immediately got rid of it as well. I went in to tell staff and a waiter asked his colleague in front of me what to do and she said "you better take it in" no-one apologised.
A replacement was brought which was fine but I still had a bad taste in my mouth. I asked the waiter if the chef tasted it, he replied "everyone has different tastes", not sure if has asked the chef or not. No apology or offer for something off the bill. Will not be returning

Rossendale, United Kingdom
“Good food, reasonable priced”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We ate here on a Wednesday evening so it was relatively quiet. The service was good and attentive with plenty of choice on the menu; they even had the food indicated as to which was suitable for coeliacs - always a bonus for me! The beetroot and feta salad was plentiful, and the calves liver tasty. The beef burger was nothing it of th e ordinary but good all the same. Only one niggle, the chips were obviously frozen and recooked which was a shame when everything else was plainly home made.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Still Lovely Food”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited the Poacher the other evening with a friend, and was pleased to find that the food is still excellent. We were a little concerned having received an email saying the menu had changed and the restaurant was going to be more 'pubby' if we want a pub we will go to a pub. I am pleased to say the menu had changed very little, the changes in the restuarant were negligible, some different seats in the bar area. Wheelchair access is good with a good wheelchair accessible toilet. The restaurant has a lovely atmosphere and the garden is looking lovely. I am glad the Poacher hasn't changed and we will continue to come to here.

• Visited July 2013