“Adequate for overnight” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Whiteville
Durham, North Carolina
“Adequate for overnight”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

I needed an overnight near Lake Waccamaw and found this aging motel to be adequate for one night. The room was clean, the free breakfast good,the staff helpful, and the price within budget. The age of the facility showed in a non-functioning sink stopper and my friend's neighboring room with a broken door lock. There is no elevator to second floor rooms.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars
jennifer c, General Manager at Quality Inn Whiteville, responded to this review, October 24, 2014
I would like to share with you the newly renovation since your stay in May, we have put in new faucets and sink stoppers. Our guest give us the insight we need to improve. Thank you for feedback as it has helped us to improve and move forward in our business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canton, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

MY BEST FRIEND WAS MURDERED!!! The family wanted to pay for rooms for her friends and family from here in western NC and reserved a block of rooms for her honor. I was able to come down early for MY BEST FRIEND so I could be with her family. Several rooms were reserved by her family to make sure that all friends from the mountains could be together and it was very well known why we were all staying there. I went early and reserved my own room. The next morning I was rudely awakened by the front desk wanting me to come give my card or get out. I told them I had already paid for the next 3 nights. They proceeded to tell me they didn’t have my info and I needed to come pay or GET OUT so they could clean the room. It wasn’t even noon!! I went to the front desk within 15 minutes and both receptionist and housekeeper started yelling wanting to know why "I" had an attitude on the phone, which I did not. Yelled across the lobby before I could get to the desk to ask if I were “the one on the phone they spoke to earlier”, asked why I had an attitude!!! I asked why are you yelling at me, you know why I am here and I gave my credit card last night. As a paying customer and they were rudely yelling at me! I tried to explain they had woken me up from a dead sleep and I thought my room was paid for. Not once raising my voice or being hateful, I was too shocked by their behavior1 I made sure to ask them if they knew why I was staying there (for the funeral of my brutally murdered best friend.) I was immediately told to LEAVE!!! I went out to call corporate and file a complaint. A guy that did not even announce himself came out and stated I needed to get my things and leave. I simply asked, “Who are you”.. The manager he said. THE MANAGER! I went to my room; haven drove 5 ours the night before I took a quick bath, interrupted by house keeping. Within 5 minutes a knock on the door was the cops to escort me out!! I was mortified!! LATER To find out my room was paid for not only by me but the family of my best friend!! In such a stressful situation that THEY ADMITTED THEY KNEW WHY I WAS THERE!! NEVER EVER HAD such disrespect in such a stressful situation!

Room Tip: Don't Stay here! No respect while trying to mourn the loss of my best friends brutal murder! Ver...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank misty b
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have been here one week. The pool is out of order. No one knows what's wrong with it. No attempt has been made to fix it. The phone in my room has not worked at all. I asked them to fix it, they never did. The ice machine did not work and the breakfast keeper looks at you as if she is paying for every bite you take. This is a terrible example of anyplace with the word Quality in its title. Do not stay here unless its your only choice.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Dragonkeeper78
Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel at least a dozen times during my visits to family in the small town. It's one of the handful of hotels that are decent enough to stay in. Years ago when it was the Holiday Inn Express their standard of only allowing out-of-town guest to stay at the location in fear of it turning into a short stay motel, like many of the other hotels in the town, was very appreciated. This is one of the reason I frequent this location, but in the recent years of the hotel changing hands they also changed their quality which is causing the hotel to suffer. My recent expense was not my greatest visits!

It seemed like I visited NC on the hottest day of the summer and they placed me in a room with no AC. When I complained they moved me into a room that had a major leak in the bathroom so the smell from the water sitting for days smelled moldy and was overbearing. They then moved me to another room that door would not lock. Lastly, they put me in a room that someone had just checked out of and may have dropped his bottle of cologne on the bathroom floor as well as the carpet. After moving around that much, I decided to just stay in that room, turn the AC to full blast and Febreeze the carpet as much as I could. After a few hours I could no longer smell the cologne and my stay was pretty decent.

My suggestion to the owners would be.... RENOVATE!!! The old furniture and carpet looks OLD AND WORN OUT!

In the end, for the price and location I can’t expect it to be a Ritz Carlton.

Room Tip: There's no elevator so if you don't like stairs... request the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank French_Travels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was the second time I've stayed here, on business, and it is one of a handful of hotels in town. The room was clean and decent and met my needs as usual. The only issue I had was the placement of the "business area," meaning desk/chair for Wi-Fi/work use is directly in front of the AC unit. I had to participate in an internet conference via my laptop/webcam and had to shut off the AC in order to adequately hear. Of course, the room became very muggy and hot as this was the middle of July. The only other issue I noticed this time was the loudness of housekeeping staff. They were certainly upbeat, but could have kept the noise level down a couple of notches. Not everyone likes to hear yelling in the mornings, especially when you're trying to eat breakfast, slowly waking up. Great location, very easy access to highway.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was pretty proud of this hotel. It's a small hotel, but it's also in a small town. So for that, it's really good. There were some drawbacks, which I'll mention. However, here's how I rate hotels: if it's clean, I can't be too mean.

The room was very clean. I made a point to thank the housekeeper. The room showed some wear and tear, but still I felt I didn't have to wear socks around versus bare feet. The A/C worked well, and I slept quite well. The only oddity was that my shower did not have a plastic liner -- just the quilted cotton curtain. I carefully showered the first night to avoid making a mess, and then asked for one the next day. They said the Quality Inn inspector had just been there, and he wanted them removed. I guess they were gross. They worked to go get me a new liner. I guess an oversight.

Here's the only thing that made me pause. Like many hotels of this type, there are entries at each end of the building into stairwells (agree with others...no elevator here). At my end, the door to the outside would not close. Either the foundation has settled or the door warped...but it stays cracked no matter how hard you try to close it. If I were the manager, I'd work on that first. However, it's a small town with low crime...so I wasn't too worried. Still slept well.

If you're in town, give it a whirl. It's worth it's while. If you arrive and can't find something to eat, there's a grocery within walking distance. Pick up a meal that you can microwave and enjoy dinner in your room. I've stayed in 5-stars all over the world, and this place is pretty good for what it is.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RalNCTraveler
South Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Check In was by a Young Lady who had a lot of body Art and from the looks of her she didn't want to be at work that day. I had to have her check several TV remotes as the one in the room wouldn't work. I ended up looking up on how to program the remote myself. When it was time to go to bed I discovered that all they furnished was 2 sheets to cover up with. No one answered the front desk phone so I just suffered through the night and turned the AC off as I was getting cold. I had stayed here the month before but with some of the people lounging about I wasn't sure if they were guest or just wanting a place to hang out. I asked my company never to book me here again. The rooms were clean so that was the reason why I gave them Poor rating.

Room Tip: Stay away from this property
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars

Been to Quality Inn Whiteville? Share your experiences!