“Local and down home”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Local and down home”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Order at the counter and take to your table. Tasty barbeque with tangy vinegar red slaw. Definitely a local institution.

Visited August 2014

Edgewood, Maryland
“Great customer service”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

My second time here. We used the drive thru this time. As we pulled up to the menu, the person taking the orders noticed that we were still checking the menu. He wisely said, take your tome and let me know when you are ready. Wow! This a first for me. After ordering then pulling up to the window our dog made his presence known and he asked if he would like a hush puppy. Again, another great customer service moment. We got our food and left happy. Thank you, and the chicken livers were perfect.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“The food is top quality. Menu full of hidden gems.”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

My hubby and I are practically BBQ experts. At one point, he had a professional obligation to eat BBQ. And I can tell you Smokey Mountain is doing it right. We eat here, with our kids, with inlaws, each and every vacation in Ashe County. The pork bbq has delicious flavor and is lean, chopped shoulder meat without any less quality bits to add bulk. The bbq chicken is smothered in a sauce that I could eat with a spoon. The Brunswick stew has such complex, layered flavor that I somehow make room for it on my plate nearly every time. People if you like corn dogs, PLEASE order one here. They are housemade with hushpuppy batter on the outside and truly special. The sides are plentiful in choice. I like the pinto beans a lot, especially with a splash of the vinegar based sauce that is offered alongside the tomato one. This place has it all. They even have a grilled chicken breast and a salad on the menu. But don't miss the bbq folks. It is delicious. Doing it right at Smokey Mountain.

Orlando
“Fried Chicken, filet and chopped A+”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Best fried chicken in town, not big on the country ham, but all three chicken meals, fried breast, chopped and filet were all delicious. Byron is a star!!!

Greenville, North Carolina
“Great value, good home cookin'!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Rode by on the way to downtown West Jefferson and it was packed. Figured it must be good with all of the people/cars there, so we stopped on the way back by for lunch! I ordered white meat fried chicken with sweet potato casserole and macaroni & cheese. It was really good! The Mac & cheese wasn't that good, but unless it's the typical thick homemade kind, I normally don't like it. Next time I'll get double sweet potato casserole - I love it! Chicken was good, hush puppies were best I've had in a while. My boyfriend ordered BBQ sandwich, fries and brunswick stew. He enjoyed it, except for the brunswick stew. It's nothing like brunswick stew we've had in eastern NC, so that was a little disappointing. Overall pleasant experience! Good value at about $6.50 each.