“Looking forward to our next visit!”
Review of Boondocks Brewing

Boondocks Brewing
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Boondocks Brewing was founded in 2012 with a mission to provide a fresh, unique and engaging destination for residents as well as visitors to Ashe County. We are a locally owned and employee run small business that is Dedicated to Excellence and Committed to our Community. We are Ashe County's first and only commercially licensed Craft Beer Brewery and we brew small batches of hand crafted beers weekly. With 2 locations in downtown West Jefferson, Boondocks Brewing offers full service dining, one of the State's best Craft Beer selections, off-site catering, customized special events, private parties and brewery tours. Boondocks Brewing is where the locals go and is a must stop destination for visitors to the High Country. Boondocks Brewing's Tap Room & Restaurant located at 108 S Jefferson Ave is our main location with the High Country's best Craft Beer selection and an extensive and diverse menu with both inside and covered outside full service dining areas. Open 11:00 am 7 days a week. Boondocks Brewing's Brew Haus located at 302 S Jefferson Ave is the home of our Brewing operations and is also our special events venue where we can customize virtually any special event. This location is open by appointment only or when we are are brewing (normally each Tuesday).
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Looking forward to our next visit!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We love coming to Boondocks for the best burgers and beer. I always think I'm going to try something else on the menu but always go with the Tumbleweed or Horseradish burger. Why mess with a good thing?? We have never been disappointed with the beer choices either. Looking forward to our next visit in a couple of days. The only thing I would change is that it was a bit chilly in there last night. Thanks for a great restaurant!

• Visited February 2014
BoondocksBrewing, Owner at Boondocks Brewing, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind words and continued support. The temp certainly took a turn down yesterday and I apologize if the heat was not set high enough to offset the chill. With the large open space and the large windows that we have it is sometimes a challenge to get a consistent temperature throughout the entire restaurant, especially when someone forgets to close the door behind them.

If at any time you think it is too cool or hot, please let your server know so they can alert the manager on duty. We will do our best to resolve the situation and you are always welcome to ask to be seated elsewhere if you are too close to a window or the door.

Thanks again for dining with us and for taking the time to post a review.

Regards,
Gary
Owner/head Brewer

Roseboro, North Carolina
“Great Dinner with Friends”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We enjoyed a great meal last night at Boondocks. My husband's steak was cooked just the way he ordered and to his surprise it included a small salad, and choice of 2 vegetables. He said the mashed potatoes were real and the string beans were very fresh. I ordered the stuffed mushrooms - excellent. we llok forward to going back the next time we are in WJ.

• Visited February 2014
West Jefferson, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best place in town”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Great service, friendly neighbors gathering. Menu changes to please the customers. Usually spend 2 to 3 evenings a week. Always great food, fresh, well prepared. Highly recommended. Appreciate Gary uses local produce, beef, other supplies when available.

• Visited January 2014
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Never served!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

We went on a very cold windy night, so they were not very busy. We were seated and waited, waited, ... People passed by, never once acknowledging we were even there. We stood up, put our coats on, and still no one came over. So we left and ate at a newly opened competitor. So glad we did, the other place was great!

3 Thank KMGlass
BoondocksBrewing, Owner at Boondocks Brewing, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.
I have sent you a personal message requesting additional information so that I can personally follow up and take necessary actions.
Please accept my personal apology and I hope to hear back from you.

Gary - Owner
Eden
“Not impressed”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Our most recent visit was Friday, January 17 and was probably our 3rd or 4th trip...and maybe our last. My husband and I usually select a restaurant for great beer, especially IPA's. The first two trips, there were several great IPA's on tap and the food was ok. However, our last two visits, we were just not happy with the IPA's offered...maybe that is our problem?? Well, we enjoy a citrusy, hoppy IPA which is very popular...Foothills Hoppyum & Jade, Sisters of the Moon, Bell's Two-Hearted just to name a few. I think there were four IPA's on tap and we really didn't care for any of them, but settled for Hogwild, because the Loose Cannon tap was out. I should also mention, there is always a wait for your beer and priced at $6!!! The highest we have paid since a visit to D.C. last year, but it's D.C. so you expect to pay more.

Okay...moving on to the food...we have had the fish & chips and were not impressed, the flat bread pizza and Greek salad are probably the best thing we have ordered. On our last visit, we shared the crabby sandwich which was just ok and the horseradish burger we order medium rare came way overcooked and was dry...very disappointed in the burger. Not the best fries either.

The restaurant is nice and clean...we like the atmosphere. However, we always notice that the owner is working, and I know he is busy, BUT he seems so unfriendly...he has never spoken to us or even looked our way...strange. The beer, burgers & fries are much better down the street...the atmosphere is not as good, but the people are very friendly!

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Pam H
BoondocksBrewing, Owner at Boondocks Brewing, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Pam,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I apologize that your experience was not as positive as it should have been. I assure you that we take all feedback seriously and yours will be a topic of discussion at our next Manager's meeting as we are always looking to improve.

I too am a huge IPA fan and we normally have a wide selection on IPAs.
On the 17th we actually had several on tap in addition to the Loose Cannon
Green Man – IPA – 6.2%
Aviator – Hog Wild IPA – 6.7%
Dogfish Head Brewery – 61 minute IPA – 6.5%
Foothills Brewing – Seeing Double IPA – 9.5%
Dogfish Head Brewing – 90 Minute Imperial IPA – 9%

The Loose Cannon is one of our best selling IPAs and we normally have a couple of back up kegs so I apologize if it was off-line during your visit. I am certain that as soon as our bartender had a chance they put a fresh keg on.

Most of our draft beers sell for $4 a pint. We do bring in a variety of high ABV Belgians, Nitro beers, special releases, seasonals and rarities that are quite expensive. In those cases we offer a 10 ounce and a 16 ounce option.

Having to wait for your beer, or meal, is totally not acceptable and is not what we preach and train our staff. Timeliness and friendly service is what we work hard to achieve. To hear that we fell short certainly concerns me.

I hope that you alerted your server to the fact that your burger was not cooked according to your instructions. It is important that we know of these situations so we can determine if the server or the kitchen made the mistake and so we address the situation on the spot.

We pride ourselves on being focused on our quests and if something is not to your liking please ask to speak to a manager.

If you would be so kind to email me directly at gary@boondocks-brewing.com with some additional information regarding your visit (approx time of day, area in which you were seated, etc) I will be better equipped to directly address the issues you noted. Also, I was actually only in the restaurant for a short while on that Friday so you may have mistaken someone as the owner. If any of our team comes across as "too busy" or "unfriendly", then that is something that I need to personally address - even if that person does in fact turn out to be me.

Again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and I hope that you will join us again soon, and please, if you are ever disappointed in your visit, please ask to speak to a manager - that is what they are there for.

Sincerly,