“Cheesy Goodness..”

Ashe County Cheese Factory and Store
More attraction details
Owner description: North Carolina's oldest and largest cheese manufacturer. Watch cheese being made in our factory viewing room. Our retail store has all our cheeses available plus our fresh country butter, fresh fudge and hand-dipped ice cream. Something new for the kids (and kids at heart) is our Kandy Korner with over 150 varieties of new and traditional candies. We also have a great selection of NC Wines, and imported cheeses as well as Amish Foods.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Lansing, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Cheesy Goodness..”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Ever since I was a kid, I have been hooked on cheese curds (also called squeaky cheese) that Ashe County Cheese sells. I recall the school field trips to the cheese factory where I would purchase a bag and have the entire package consumed before the bus pulled back up to the school. I am thankful to still be an Ashe County resident because about once a week I make a trip to get my nostalgic squeaky cheese. At exactly 4 dollars a bag, this is a gem that I feel is best eaten when it is slightly warm.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Deva B

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Good Cheese”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Nice store, friendly people and great cheese! I always enjoy going there when I'm in West Jefferson.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank MaryAnn M
virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Nice place!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We always visit here when in town...the cheese in very good!! It is a must if you are in town! They also offer a tour which is pretty cool if you have never seen cheese made!

Visited August 2012
West Jefferson, NC
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“It Ain't Cheesy....It's Fun & Educational, Too!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

West Jefferson has North Carolina's only cheese factory. The actual cheese-making plant is just across the street from the Gift Shop. You can watch cheese being made through big glass windows. Outside are the holding tanks in the shape of cows -- great fun picture-taking opportunity. The Gift Shop has so many kinds of cheese that you can spend an hour just browsing. Free samples daily. Their shipping service is very efficient. And there's ice cream!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank GallopingGal08
Coral Springs, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“mmmmmm squeaky cheese”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Neat little place to check. Probably the best thing you can do for yourself is try some squeaky cheese. It goes by the name cheese curds which doesnt sound good, The locals call it squeaky cheese. when the cheese is just the right temp( a little less than room temp it squeaks a bit on the 1st bite. great tasting cheese.....and I hate cheese!

Visited June 2012