“Sleepless in West Jefferson”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Nation's Inn

Nation's Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in West Jefferson
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Sleepless in West Jefferson”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Had read the reviews on this site and felt comfortable booking this hotel. On arrival to our rooms found stains on floor and bedding as well as mold in bathroom. There was a strong odor when we walked into the room. The crowing moment was finding the hair all over sink and in bath. I did ask to move rooms and the next room was better, but still had cracker crumbs on floor and table. Did not get a lot of sleep that evening.

• Stayed October 2013
PK S, Owner at Nation's Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad that the staff moved you to another room, but I'm sorry that housekeeping had not been thorough in vacuuming, we have addressed issues with housekeeping and hope you'll give us a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Va/Nc Border
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Ok, I stay here often when I travel to West Jefferson....yes it's not the Four Seasons...no gym...no pool...no evening cocktails....but I'm cheap when it comes to hotel costs. It has great rates that include my absolute necessity of wi-fi internet, very friendly staff, clean rooms, perfect location (a giant Ingles grocery store is across the street with several deli sections so you CAN eat healthy...and if like me you've already done all the restaurants). Josh is great, and did I mention the very reasonable rates?? Yes the continental breakfast is real basic but so what considering the other factors, oh and in room coffee and mini fridge too....and I like CLEAN. I will stay here the next visit...not worth it to me to experiment when I have a good thing...stay here several times a year minimum.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank matapeake
PK S, Owner at Nation's Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Thank you for staying with us and I'm glad that everything met or exceeded your expectations, we do hope to see youa gain in the future.
Jefferson, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed there for a week, the first day in, I have this habit of pulling the comforter off and putting it away, then I noticed my bed was not really made and the sheets looked ... well worn. I pulled the sheets back and sure enough there was actually debris, as if someone had been walking in the woods and then just climbed into bed, I was totally grossed out!!!
But with a simple call to the front desk a cleaning lady came right up, took everything off the bed and with fresh everything!! aaahhh that was more like it.
What a great staff, everyone is so friendly and really wanting to make sure your stay is nice.
The cleaning crew was amazing and did a great job each time they came in.
The breakfast is well.... not so continental but for the price of this hotel per night, you just cannot complain! I would stay there again for sure!

Room Tip: The top floor corner rooms seem to be the most quite
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EnjoyLifeSmile
PK S, Owner at Nation's Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad you found your stay exceeded your expectations after a bump at the start. I'm very elated to hear that my housekeeping staff immediately remedied the situation and did a good job thereafter, that's what I like to hear. I do hope you'll stay with us again in the future.
Topeka, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This motel is a bit off of the Blue Ridge Parkway but in an area saturated with over priced accommodations, we felt like this would be a good place. While the location was ideal, the rooms were somewhat clean. Our room refrigerator seemed to leak a bit as the carpet around the unit was dampish and was stained like the problem was ongoing. Staff at the motel was friendly and accommodating offering us extra pillows. There are no quality restaurants within walking distance of this motel; just fast food places.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MsBiker
PK S, Owner at Nation's Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad to hear my staff was friendly and quick to respond. I'm glad most of your stay seemed to exceed expectations, we have replaced a few of the fridges due to concerns such as yours. We do hope to see you again soon.
Millersburg, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

This hotel is ok. I was not greatly impressed. The room looked pretty nice and parts of it were clean. The show curtain had mold on the back which means they never close it to look at it. The bed was ok, but the pillows not real comfortable. The breakfast again, was ok, but could use some more items, as it had a very small selection. Might try somewhere else next time I stay in town. Most of the staff was nice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RunnerWes
PK S, Owner at Nation's Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Thank you for staying with us. We have been working with housekeeping to better train them. We do hope you will give us a second chance in the future.
Orange Park, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

I make a couple of trips to West Jefferson each year and on the most recent trip I decided that, rather than stay in Boone to collect Marriott or Priority Club points, I'd stay in West Jefferson and cut down on driving. I'd read reviews about new management at Nation's Inn, so I had my first stay there despite having driven by it many many times.

I booked through the online reservation form but had to phone to move back my arrival date. The front desk clerks were personable, cheerful and efficient on the phone, at check-in and at check out. I reserved a king non-smoking. The room was spacious and seemed larger than the rooms in Boone, though the bathroom was small and much more compact than in Boone. Nation's Inn was built before interior corridors became de rigueur for motels; that was also before travelers carried a lot of electronic devices, but the room had numerous electrical outlets. The free wifi was strong, fast and reliable. The room had a mini-refrigerator - one of the new models with a proper temperature control that keeps your beverages chilled without turning them into ice cubes. It didn't have a microwave, but a diner and a KFC/Taco Bell are just a few steps away. Watch your step while walking across the grass separating the parking lots, though, since guests use that area as a dog walk. Apparently the Nation's Inn is still one of the few hotels in the High Country to allow pets.

The breakfast area had two cereal dispensers and a waffle maker. Milk and juice appeared to be in canisters in the refrigerator rather than individual serving boxes. I skipped the continental breakfast because the rate is so low you don't feel like you're losing out if you don't take advantage of a perk. Also, many mornings I stream West Jefferson's radio station, WKSK, on line, and I'd heard so many commercials for "Louise's Sweet Tea Cafe located in People's Drug Store" that I had to have breakfast there while I was in town.

Room Tip: The online reservation form offers the option of "Mount Jefferson view" or "Mulatto M...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank WellINever
PK S, Owner at Nation's Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Thank you for staying with us and I'm glad you found our staff courteous and well trained. I'm elated that the stay exceeded your expectations with perhaps the exception of the breakfast, unfortunately the lack of a proper kitchen limits what we can offer by North Carolina law. (That is we don't have stove or dishwasher). We do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We always stay here when we come to West Jefferson. Staff is always accommodating. Rooms are clean. Very nice staff and pet friendly. Very easy to book. Across from grocery store and fast food. Near golf course

• Stayed June 2013
PK S, Owner at Nation's Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2015
Thank you for enjoying your stay. We are indeed very close to the Mountain Aire golf course and we do hope others will take advantage of that. We do hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near West Jefferson
Baymont Inn & Suites Boone Near APP State
Buffalo Tavern Bed and Breakfast
Buffalo Tavern Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 5 in West Jefferson

Been to Nation's Inn? Share your experiences!