“Just Kept Seeing The Signs!”
Review of Vance Birthplace

Vance Birthplace
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Weaverville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Welcome to the Vance Birthplace State Historic Site! Learn about North Carolina mountain life and culture on this reconstructed farmstead set in the picturesque Reems Creek Valley. Step back in time to explore life for a wealthy farm family and the enslaved people who worked the land in the early nineteenth century. Tour a 1790s slave cabin, several 19th century outbuildings, and the reconstructed log home of the Vance family. Explore the exhibit in our visitor center to learn more about the life of Zebulon Vance and his political impact on the state. Check out our calendar of special events or drop by for a Mountain Farmstead Tour, offered Tuesday-Saturday at 11:00, 1:00, and 3:00. No time for a full tour? The site is completely self-guided. Just grab a map and explore! We also offer special group tours and field trips for schools and summer camps.
Reviewed November 29, 2017

So I'm exploring and hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains near Asheville, NC for a couple of days. And I keep seeing these signs directing me to 'Vance Birthplace" while I'm already in the middle of nowhere. Who was Vance? Had to find out. Turns out he was the "Civil War Governor" of North Carolina, and a lot more. Wasn't much he didn't do politically and militarily. This is a beautiful and professionally done tribute to the man. A small rebuilt estate with colonial era outbuildings and great exhibits. Very glad my curiosity got the best of me. Friendly staff. But you better follow the signs. You won't find this out-of-the-way attraction accidentally.

All reviews
"grounds"
in 7 reviews
"log"

Reviewed September 14, 2017

When we arrived we were told there were four school groups taking tours and all of the tour guides were busy with them. They also would not let us hook up with a school group to get inside the house and a tour guide would not be available until 2pm. I was able to take 2 pictures through the window though after one school group left.

The property offers the Vance homestead, the original 1790s slave cabin, and five outbuildings in a beautiful valley setting. There is no fee to take the tour. I always find it sad to look at the slave cabins and take some time to reflect. The visitors center has a nice small museum inside.

VanceBirthplace, Historic Interpreter at Vance Birthplace, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2017

Thank you for taking time to review our site! I am sorry you were unable to see the house.

Schools and other private groups may reserve tour times and schedule special programs during our normal operating hours. While you can often join on a special tour, it is impossible in cases when the group is already at the building's maximum capacity. This is often the case when we have a school group that needs to be broken into four groups (for example, when the entire 4th grade comes for a visit). In most cases, we are able to offer tours during the students' lunch break. I suspect we had a miscommunication. The person you talked to likely thought you wanted to know when the group was leaving (2p) not when someone would be able to open the house (typically 11:30a). I do apologize for that and hope you are able to visit again!

Reviewed July 20, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have been to Vance Birthplace several times it is one of our favorite places. We used to go all the time with our kids is a wonderful place to have a picnic with a family or a romantic picnic with a love. Walking through the house is not only fun but you learn quite a bit as well. The area around the house is peaceful and relaxing, and for us, it's a short drive.

Reviewed July 19, 2017

Being a local, this is a great stop to see a piece of our historical past. You can take in the scenery, walk the grounds, check out the old homestead, and then enjoy a picnic. They have a small gift shop available. Also, when available they do have demonstrations taking place, many from Spring - Fall.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2017

It had been a number of years since I took visitors to this location. it was not very well down and appeared to be under funded. I had some visitors that were somewhat of history buffs and we stopped on our way to the Parkway.
The State has taken over this location and revitalize the exhibits - The log cabins have been cleaned up but the real surprise was the visitors center. This facility has definitely been up graded. Exhibits are fresh and easy to navigate ,plus a movie! This is very informative . I would not stay a half day but a nice stop to or from the Parkway.