“Lackluster, will not go back”

Soba Sushi and Noodles
Ranked #8 of 40 Restaurants in Weaverville
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Our sushi rolls were beautifully presented, however taste was lackluster. Very disappointed esp when Asheville has a great sushi restaurant. Decor also lackluster. Service fair. We were so excited that this restaurant was close to home but will not be back. Seaweed salad was $5.25! This is not the big city. If craving sushi, make the drive to Asheville!

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Soba is a great sushi bar and restaurant. You will love the presentation. The servers are top notch. You gotta try the Mochi.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

While Soba does serve sushi and sashimi they actually have a wide ranging menu that include other cuisines from Korea, Chinese, and Thailand just to mention a few. I am not an avid fan of raw seafood but from what I saw on my friend's plate (and all the other Japanese plates coming out of the kitchen) looked wonderful and tasty to the point that, if I hadn't already ordered, I might have given the sashimi another try. The ambience was relaxed and we had great service. The food came quickly. The décor was a little lacking but I'm sure it would be difficult to hide the bank building feel without costly renovations. I certainly wouldn't spend a lot on decorations if I was just opening my restaurant and didn't really know how the food would be accepted. The prices were reasonable except for the alcoholic beverages which are expensive in most restaurants in this area. So why the average rating?

I love spicy foods. As a result, I ordered Kim Chee as an appetizer and spicy Thai Basil Shrimp. To me, the Kim Chee was average and, although I don't know this for a fact, tasted an awful lot like what you buy in a jar at the supermarket. In my opinion the Thai shrimp, if served in a Thai restaurant, would be considered average or possibly less than average. It wasn't very spicy at all and the basil taste was either nonexistent or overwhelmed with other ingredients. On the whole, the dish was good and tasty. I wouldn't have been half as disappointed if they had called it just spicy basil shrimp. However, it did not have much Thai cuisine in it. My wife had Lo Mein and her experience was slightly better but still below her expectations.

In fairness, I probably should have had the Japanese food in order to properly rate this restaurant. On the whole, it was a pleasant, enjoyable experience. I would go back but with lower expectations.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Very nice converted bank. A little concerned when the menu has sushi, Vietnamese, Thai, and Chinese. I started
with a spicy tuna roll and it was quite good. My wife had the Pad Thai. It also was quite good, a generous portion with plenty of chicken for $8.

I has the Thai coconut soup with chicken. It was again a large portion with lots of chicken for $8. However, it was very bland and has no fish sauce or lemon grass that I could detect. I asked if they had any fish sauce and maybe some chilies for heat. He said they didn't, but brought me some hot sauce on the side. Who ever heard of a place that cooks Thai and doesn't have fish sauce? I added the hot sauce, my wife's lime and some soy sauce since that was all I had.

If you stick to the sushi and the Pad Thai, you will be happier. I would have gone with 2-3 stars if I had just the coconut soup.

1  Thank XVT
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stopped in for lunch and shared a sushi roll with my daughter and OMG! It was the best and so beautifully presented! My main dish was a cold soba noodle bowl which was perfect. The couple at a table next to us got the sushi for two. It came out in a boat and it looked gorgeous and based on the one roll we had, I expect it was also delicious. I look forward to trying it! The atmosphere is relaxed all around. It is clean and modern inside and the outdoor dining area looks very nice. Service was excellent. They have their own parking lot too, which is not always available at Weaverville restaurants so it's a good option if you need to park near the restaurant.