“Go elsewhere... it's no longer worth it”
Review of Stoney Knob Cafe

Stoney Knob Cafe
Ranked #3 of 40 Restaurants in Weaverville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2010

My husband and I have gone there many times but the last two times have been such a disappointment that we will not go back. It used to be good but I no longer will recommend it to friends.

Their menu is diverse but can they focus on a few things and do them well? I care less about quantity and focus more on quality. Jamaican (jerk) shrimp wrap - they don't know what jerk is. Adding jerk spice to a dish doesn't make it jerk. The wrap is good but don't disappoint people with a "jerk" tease. Tzatziki sauce on greek platters - the flavor isn't there but the platters look nice (find a Greek restaurant and get it there). Crab cakes - don't bother. They're small for the price ($18) and again, lacking in flavor. Moussaka - Had it there and went home then made my own and it was better (and tedious to make). Maybe that's why people order it out. Kobe beef burger - I finally ordered it because I wondered what the "talk" was about. It was served dripping with fat or grease and my bun was soggy from the grease. The Greek lamb shank has been delicious each time we ordered it - no complaints there.

I've always had an issue with their cylindrical silverware. It's pretty but hard to hold and slides in my fingers. It appeared to be about "looks" for the owner not function. Their service is inconsistent. It used to be fine, friendly, and prompt. The last couple of times we were there, it disappeared after we ordered. My husband has complained to a manager and his complaints fell on deaf ears.

Perhaps Stony Knob has fallen prey to these sad economic times. However, if a restaurant expects to keep clientele, they simply must stop pretending they're a better restaurant than they are and bring the prices in-line with their food, service, and location. Stony Knob is just outside the main restaurant area in Weaverville. It used to be worth going to but no longer. There are so many better places to go where the focus is on quality, service, and price.

1  Thank RealityCheck53

Reviewed July 4, 2010

My wife and I have dined here 40-50 times. We have never had a bad meal. We prefer to dine in the red room. The restaurant is eclectic and no 2 lighting fixtures are the same. The owners and staff strive to make your visit pleasant. The specials change often. Regular over the top fare includes the lamb shank and mousakka. Presentations are always over the top.

Reviewed June 19, 2010

This is a good restaurant, including for "special" occasions. The owners are Greek, but the menu has good variety and price options. You can stay under $10 or bust a $20, your choice. Add wine and drinks and it adds up fast. I would call the atmosphere youngish and active but not loud or obnoxious. And there are plenty of quiet places too; really hard to give just one description. Appears to be very popular with local kayakers on Sunday afternoons based on the roof ornaments seen in the parking lot. The food is very good, from ample and adequate to somewhat fancy and pricey. They have this lamb joint roast with dark roasted potatoes that is a house favorite and always delicious. The service is good with smiley attentive staff and fun attitude. But they don't bother you either, so you can enjoy your company and your meal. The deserts are home made and rich. It is as good as any of the top restaurants in Asheville, and clearly the best in the Weaverville area. It is definitely worth a try.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

Have eaten here 3 times and while food was ok, the prices are not competitive with other similar restaurants in area. Fancy words on a menu, extravagant garnishes and vocabulary skills by server do not hide lack of preparation skills and so-so flavors in dishes. This facility is not worthy of serving salads over $10. Ridiculously over-priced.

1  Thank DoodleBug85
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I love this place and try to visit each time I am in the area. It is an eclectically furnished diner with terrific food. The servers know their menu and do a super job. Great place.