“The best, ever”
Review of Stoney Knob Cafe

Stoney Knob Cafe
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Weaverville
Cuisines: American, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Boston, Massachusetts
“The best, ever”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

While staying in Asheville my wife & I ate here. It may be the best meal I've had, ever. I had the eggplant and polenta - it was phenomenal. My wife had the Greek Salad - both fantastic!

Visited July 2013

“Loved it!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stopped here on our way back to FL from my parents cabin on Mt Mitchell. This will be a new regular stop for us coming and going. Can't wait to go back!

Tallahassee, Florida
“Inventive, tasty food; excellent service”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I did carry away and in restaurant eating here and was delighted both times. The carry away was the polenta/eggplant; delicious. The second time was Zorba the Greek, one of its signature dishes. The lamb was cooked just right as were the potatoes and kale. Yum. Other dishes atour table were the fried green tomatoes (tasty and crisp), the watermelon salad (again tasty), and the shrimp pasta (excellent). Our waitress was friendly, funny and attentive. The decor is funky Greek; you should walk through the entire place to check it out. It is somewhat noisy but that wasn't a negative to us. We slipped in just in time to get a table before people were being told there was a 45 minute wait so reservations are definitely advised.

Crystal Springs, Mississippi
“A Classic Choice for the Asheville / Weaverville Area”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This place is an experience restaurant. It has atmosphere, which is understandable since it has been operated by the same family for 50 years. The owners are Greek, and the decor is a blend of Greek and various other nationalities -- interesting things to look at on the walls.

I went for the special of the day - the snapper. It came with arugula on top and rice pilaf underneath. Very nice presentation and cooked just right. Oh, and the fresh bread served with olive oil, cheese, and seasonings was a very nice touch.

The menu included some vegetarian choices (i.e. eggplant) that I would go back for another time.

Waitress and service were exceptional. Prices were reasonable. Portions were more than adequate. I see it is rated number 2 on TripAdvisor, but number 1 is a bakery. That's why I chose to eat there.

Oregon
“Trifecta - Dirty Dishes, Flavorless Food, Dead Gnats”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Our second visit tonight and still a thumbs down. The first time, my husband and I were seated in what must've been the family section, because there was a large, extremely noisy family who made it nearly impossible for us to hear each other over our own table. We made a comment to the server who did nothing to remedy the din. So we asked to be reseated and, with a sigh, we were put into another room. I sent my entree back (with an apology - I always hate to do that), but the only flavor it had was cloying cheap wine reduction. So there we were tonight, a couple of years later, willing to give it another shot. We were seated at a tiny table, barely big enough to hold our plates. My water glass had little white things stuck to the inside and floating on top and I asked the waitress to replace it. After we finished our meal (or didn't finish - see below), we noticed similar garbage floating atop my husband's water, along with what had to have been reconstituted dried citrus scum from a previous diner. Thank heavens he never drank from the glass. Stoney Knob's website claims its decor is a "dash of funk" and I'd have to agree, since funk could easily be brought to mind by the piles of dead gnats that were present on the windowsill adjoining our tiny table.

Our entrees were brought out long before we were done with our appetizer - and as a result didn't fit onto our table without serious crowding. My husband's carbonara was flavorless and my eggplant napoleon was far too ambitious for the chef's skill. The base was a "polenta primavera" - whatever that's supposed to mean - but what was actually served was a watery slice of polenta containing small pieces of mushy green pepper and onion. Atop that was a thin slice of unremarkable melted havarti and unseasoned spinach. Atop that were two slices of - how can I say it - just plain awful eggplant. They were supposed to be "herb-crusted" slices but were actually coated with a burnt crumb crust - obviously precooked and dumped into some bland oil for refrying. Atop that was some nondescript chunky marinara that still had an "essence of can" aroma to the tomatoes. And the whole thing ended up as a tasteless soggy lump of nothing. I ate less than half and couldn't bring myself to put another bite into my mouth. The server asked me if I wanted a box when she saw how much was left on my plate. I replied that I didn't finish it because it wasn't particularly good and in fact it was a tasteless soggy lump. She said "Oh" and took it away. No expressed concern - just walked away. She came back a few minutes later, handed us the bill and said matter-of-factly "I took the eggplant off" and walked away again.

Stoney Knob used to be better when it was just a diner. It was diner food and didn't pretend to be more or charge more than it was worth. True, they didn't serve anything called "The Big Mutha Duck Club" (seriously?), but then I don't remember any gnats or floating garbage or disinterested servers, either. My rating for Stoney Knob is a big "Fail".

3 Thank Verified