“Eater be aware!”

TN
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eater be aware!”
Reviewed February 15, 2009

My girlfriend decided to take me on a weekend get away to Asheville, NC coming from TN for Valentines Day. She had the weekend perfectly planned out, even a nice Valentines dinner at an interesting looking restaurant called Old Weaverville Mill Restaurant. As we pulled in at 6:45, we noticed that the restaurant parking lot was not full. This should have been a sign especially considering it was Valentine's night. The restaurant while interesting, was freezing cold. The staff that we could see included one waitress, one hostess, and one girl to clean. I ordered a French onion soup, salad, sweet potatoes, and prime rib. My girlfriend had the plum chicken with a salad, and sweet potatoes. The soup arrived cold with a slice of Kraft Swiss cheese barely melted over it. The salads, while a spring mix, was very bland and was almost on the old side. Next came the waiting for the main course. One hour and fifteen minutes later we were served our meals. As the food was placed in front of us, the waitress informed us that there were no more sweet potatoes and they just gave us regular potatoes that had been quartered. I got three pieces and my girlfriend got four??? The potatoes were completely raw.....yes raw. My prime rib was supposed to be medium. The prime rib was simply cut while raw and seared on each side for several seconds at the most. It was basically raw. The rolls were no bigger then a donut hole and several were burnt. We were given four of these so called rolls. Finally, I got the waitress and told her the problem. I informed her I did not want the food and we just wanted the bill. She returned with the bill and told me she took my meal off. I asked, "What about my girlfriends potatoes that were raw". I was told that it didn't matter, the chicken was most of the price of the meal. So, after arguing, she snatched up the check, then returned to have taken off $1.50 off of the $13.50. We swiftly left the so called eating establishment without so much as an apology. It was very obvious that they felt we were wrong for complaining.....I was not. The attitude that we got from them was we will serve you what we want and how dare you question us. It was obvious that the locals agree with me by there absence at this restaurant. I someone from this restaurant reads this review......I have been in the food industry for many years. You need to get your act together or get out the business. Take a hint from all of your empty tables. Eaters be aware!!

1 Thank Vincejlv

Atlanta, Georgia
“Stay Far Far Away”
Reviewed January 6, 2009

My dad remembered this place from 20+ years ago, so we tried it out when we were in Black Mountain after Christmas. A HUGE disappointment.

The food was horrible (and that's NOT an understatement) and the service was awful. I saw only 1 waitress, but then again, there were only 3 groups of people, including us.

The prices are unconscionable when you consider that the food was horrible. I even considered calling my credit card company and telling them I disputed the charge. . .!

I don't know how they stay in business, but I will never go back and am doing my part to warn others to stay away.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A+ for Atmosphere, F for Food”
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Considering that we went to the Old Weaverville Milling Company restaurant in Weaverville, NC, for the food, we have to give it a "terrible" rating. If you want atmosphere, it is fabulous! The reasons we give the food an F are as follows.

The portions were meager--so much so we were embarrassed for the restaurant. The presentation--what presentation? The food was simply dropped on the plate, no garnishes. The food tasted very mediocre--we have had much better tasting food in a roadside diner. The salad appeared to be the "spring blend" that you buy at the grocery store--no tomatoes, no cucumbers, no cheese--with their homemade dressings which were okay. The one food highlight was the rolls--they were excellent, although small! If you want potatoes, you are required to have the potato du jour--the potato du jour was country fried potatoes when we were there. You cannot get a baked potato or sweet potato with your steak unless that is the potato du jour. (Two people had steak--thin ribeyes--for 16.95.) The food was definitely overpriced--for both the quantity and the quality of the food. We really liked the people(owners and waitress), and the atmosphere in the old wooden mill, but we went there because we were hungry and wanted good food.

Central Florida, Florida
“Gushing With Excitement @ Old Weaverville Mill Restaurant”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

This restaurant is located just 1/2 block off the main highway in Weaverville ( near Asheville NC) in an old historic Flour Mill. The ambience is superb with original wood flooring, clapboard siding, antique windows and hard mill fixtures still in place. We read a few reviews which stated it was good..... IT WASN'T. Our server was a 'newbee' and though a very pleasant young gal from Lake Worth, FL., who did her best to cart the heavy trays up from the basement kitchen, she sadly lacked the most basic skills of waitress, including the ability to open a bottle of wine (she GUSHED with excitement when the cork popped). The food was overpriced and overcooked from sitting under a heat lamp for too long. Four of us ordered the Fresh Trout @$18 per and the other folks dined on Beef Stroganoff and a Ribeye Steak @$24. Only ONE SIDE of the Trout made an appearance on the plate so, we assume the other side was left to float in the river, they were cutting costs or, more likely, the Chef was running low. The rice side was way overcooked. The meager serving of bread was delivered in dollop size balls remeniscent of the menu at The Old Jail instead of The Old Mill - a truly 'unique' version of 'cooked dough'. Our waitress even delivered a completely wrong wine but, we did get that cheerfully corrected. One of our party had soup @$3.95 and the other had the overpriced brie appetizer ...the bill was a whopping $149.72 PLUS our WAY OVER generous tip of $25 (considering the level of service). Please note: this isn't a fancy restaurant in the heart of Asheville, where you might anticipate such a large check of $28.78 pp... this is a small village, 20 minutes outside of the City limits. This large venue restaurant was virtually empty at 5:30p, in a town VOID of any other place to eat except the Stoney Knob Cafe so, " the word must be out ". I'd heartedly reccommend eating in the Big City.