“Creeped Out”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Renton, Washington, USA
“Creeped Out”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were driving from Tenessee to Atlanta and were growing weary from the drive, so we began seeking a place to rest around 10 PM. The Rodeway Inn has an awesome location and looks like a remote beacon on the hill along the freeway. We u-turned at the next exit to return back to it because it looked so stately. We drove up the steep, winding road to the hotel but there were NO cars in the lot... hmmm. But we buzzed the night clerk, who answered the door in short shorts and white t-shirt and we pay for a room. As we go to park at the room, another car whips around us and drops a guy off and leaves. Its the only other car we've seen at the hotel. The thin young man knocks and is let in. We're watching as we're still debating the wisdom of staying here. At this time we check reviews on the place, which are confirming what we're seeing, but still go into the room hoping for a pleasant surprise. The creep factor was too high, so we get a refund and continue to exit 98 and find the Best Western a much better choice. We've affectionately named it the "Hotel Carolina"

Room Tip: Keep driving
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Jo_T2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed September 29, 2013

OK - this hotel is rough around the edges but there are some redeeming qualities that you need to be aware of. This is an old Day's Inn (built cheap because they had some major cost overruns as a result of location). It got a bad rep under that management/ownership and it seems to be hard to shake that reputation. The people that run it under Rodeway Inns are good people and they are keeping it C L E A N and as well maintained as they can. I have stayed there twice and can tell you the housekeepers do an excellent job with what they have on hand. The bedding is comfortable and clean. If you are a hotel rat that stays in your room go elsewhere. If you only sleep here this is a good, inexpensive option. The management bends over backward to accommodate all but things like wireless, parking, and looks are challenges. I will not hesitate to stay here again. But in my travels I have stayed in some real dumps so I am just looking for a clean and quiet location.

Room Tip: WiFi is available in the lobby and in rooms above the lobby.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarmajor29
Albemarle, North Carolina
Reviewed September 23, 2013

#1-I am disabled and requested a room on the ground floor if they had no elevator. The desk clerk stated there were no notes to that effect and the only room she had for us (besides a smoking room on ground level) was one flight up. Okay, we will take it but I had an extremely hard time navigating those stairs! She too told us they were booked solid and they were NOT-not when you have parking in front of your door on one level and there were 5 cars for about 12 rooms?
#2-We called to ask where the ice machine was-on the lowest level behind the fromt desk-my daughter went to get ice for me and it took her almost 30 min. to fill HALF of the ice bucket! Then she had to go down again because we discovered there were NO washcloths in our room.
#3-The room seemed fine-at first, but the AC unit went out the second night we were there. I was comfortable, daughter was not.
#4-Front desk clerk was the same to us-no thank you, no smile-nothing!
#5-The place is full of junk everywhere! Stuff laying around outside, junk and landscaping materials and tools etc. Fences are broken and falling down, hand rails are rusted through, bottom step is so high I nearly could not manage it-has to be far from code! Our tub had many worn spots on it, shower curtain rod looks handmade, the entire bathroom needs updated. Pictures from the wall are sitting on the floor, nails sticking out of the wall.
-----The only nice things I can say is that the beds and pillows were very comfortable. The balcony outside our room was nice also, as were the rocking chairs, but when you sit in them, you cannot see any view due to the top railing of the balcony being at eye level. We go to this area quite often and try differenct places to stay-we will never stay there again and never recommend it to anyone. My daughter will write a review too and I think she will be a bit more scathing about the whole experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank luvanurse1948

Travelers are raving about these Waynesville hotels

Henry VA
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is the worst hotel on the planet. Upon check inn we were told that our rooms (2) that I booked online 2 months ahead would not be available for the entire stay (Thurs - Sun), I had gotten them on a discounted rate for bike week, (sure they could get full price) The front desk clerk told me that she could only let us stay 1 night for that rate and the rest of the nights we would have to stay at the Super 8 and they would honor our rate because this hotel was booked up Fri - Sun. I checked online and they were not booked for those nights. As per the rules for the site I booked they had to either let us stay or put us in a hotel we agreed on,(& it wasn't the Super 8) so after calling customer service for the site we were allowed to stay the full time. Had I have known I should have went to the other or just bought a tent and stayed in the parking lot couldn't been any worse. Well I will also say that the only good thing about the place is it rained the entire time so I was dry in my room.
This Hotel is run down, neglected and not clean. The breakfast is a joke. The phones in the rooms did not work, you could not receive calls, make calls or call room to room. Getting a receipt is nearly impossible.
Trust me I got this room cheap and I know the hotel business and would not write a review to be mean but this place was not even worth the discounted rate so if you have to pay full price spend a little extra and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to another Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Linda B
Clyde, North Carolina
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife and I were in Waynesville, NC for an overnight trip. I had booked an online reservation for us at this motel. We arrived to check-in at around 8:30 PM. I entered the office area and was greeted by a young to middle-aged man in a plain white tee shirt behind the desk. I responded to his greeting and told him that I had a reservation, and gave him my name. After a moment of looking more than a little befuddled, the man behind the counter told me that he was new at the job, he had been working in construction, and that the manager was gone and that he expected her to return within the hour. He stated that he couldn't pull up our reservation on the computer because he didn't know how to work computers very well. He said that he could unlock a room door and let us in, but that he didn't know how to key the cards. I told him we would go get a bite to eat and return, hopefully when the manager was there.

We left and came back about an hour later. The same person was running things at the front desk. He stated that the manager still had not come back but that he could let us in a room without providing us a key. We were pretty tired at this point and followed the young man to the room which he opened with a pass key. He said he would get our keys made when the manager got back and call our room before bringing them up. We never got a call. After attempting to access the wifi, which was an amenity with the room, for a couple of hours, with repeated unanswered calls to the front desk, we decided to call it a night.

At some point during the night my mind began to wander, and I started thinking maybe this guy who had let us in the room had the regular front desk clerk tied up somewhere. I got up and checked the door a couple of times to make sure it was secured (maybe a little OCD kicking in here).

The next morning as we were leaving, I spoke to a female clerk behind the desk regarding the events of the previous night. Her only response was to ask if I needed a receipt. No explanation or apology was offered at all. Oh well . . .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Slojourner
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here for a romantic getaway away from the kids. We booked on choice hotels site. The night clerk was good. But our room. toilet over flowed from the top. not working properly. The patio door was open. not functioning. we were moved. The second room seemed fine til the AM. started the shower. the non slip bathmat was floating on the water. i pulled it back. BLACK MOLD EVERYWHERE!!! We didn't shower cause your feet soak up everything and it can make you very sick. we took pictures and will be sharing them with the Haywood Co. Health Dept.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank laura h
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Really wish I could've rated my stay better, but upon checking out, I was charged my pet stay on my credit card after paying cash the night I checked in. Yeh, why cash?. Dumb me. but the clerk asked and I said sure I have cash...the room was already charged on my credit card. Oddly, she kept repeating this over and over...that my room was already paid for...there was another guest waiting to check in also...hearng all this..

Anyway, I asked for something I can use as evidence that i paid cash, sooooo...after a few options, she pullled out my check in document and had me sign it. with a special note...which I did..

Here is the show stopper, after checking in..we went out to dinner and upon our return, Miss wise front desk clerk, came to our room door and said she gave me the wrong check-in document to sign (Hmmm..seems she gave this some thought)...so in front of our hotlel room door, she had me sign another check in document"..of course trusting me did not double check...she even allowed me to use her back to place the document so I can sign it....

Anyway, after our two night stay, the morning of checking out, I encountered this disrepancy on my final bill. Pet fee charged on my Credit card. So I explained to the "different" front desk clerk of the situation, more than once. She even saw the first check inn document that I had signed but my signature was "SCRATCHED" off. I asked her where is the other one I signed? She could not find it. No where to be found. So, in her effort to believe the customer, she returned to me the pet fee in cash...

We travel around oftern, and always used our credit card to pay the hotel bill, This was an anomalie, where we simply pulled out the cash for the pet fee because the front desk clerk causually said it would be easier if it was cash...Oh, did I mentioned she said it was her first day at the job?....

This dishonesty left a terrible after taste to our weekend gertaway at this hotel. Hence the rating we gave. We will never use them again...and we are Choice Hotels Rewards members.....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jaderuby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
#13 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Super 6 - Waynesville
Super 6 - Waynesville
#5 of 8 in Waynesville

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!