“Tough to get to in the snow”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed at this hotel instead of staying in Maggie Valley while skiing, I paid $104 (including tax) for two nights. The Hotel is at the top of a steep hill, with switch backs, it would be very difficult to get in / out of in snow or ice conditions. I did see a Jeep in the parking lot with a snow plow, don't know if it would work. The room was very comfortable and large with a mini fridge and Microwave. - The bathroom in our room could use a remodel - the tub had a 4 in hole in the middle that looked like it was patched with a piece of wood. The biggest down side is that the hotel wants to be seen from the valley so they light it up with giant floodlights that shine brightly into all the rooms so there is light in the room all night. However the hotel has an excellent continental breakfast. I would give this place a try again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed December 28, 2011

The views are wonderful and if that is The most important item than this will do it. Just bring your own ice and extra sheets, towels, and blankets. The girl at the front desk was most unfriendly.
The pillows were very comfy, there was no hot water in the am with only 7 or 8 rooms rented. The rooms were over sprayed with a very strong odor remover ( to cover who knows what). I would avoid this hotel. We found the Microtel in Maggie valley to be much much better than this Days Inn.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Our stay here was very good, considering I didn't know what to expect the room to look like upon arrival. We were staying there for a wedding in Maggie Valley. The view from our balcony was beautiful, and it was nice having the balcony as well. The bed was very comfortable, the mini fridge was nice and cold, and the shower was nice as well. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast, so I don't have any comments on that.

Only downsides I have for our stay was that the housekeepers didn't come back to our room to tidy up after we took down our "do not disturb" hanger, even though they were still working on rooms just a few away from us when we left for the day. Not a big deal, but it is nice to have fresh towels, etc. The bathroom was nice, except it seems a little bit run down in terms of paint/scuffs on the wall/etc. Everything in the whole room was very clean, however, and we enjoyed the stay! We were out of the room for most of it.

Room Tip: Definitely get one with a balcony!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2011

First time, we had to take sleepingpills to be able to sleep - the a/c was so loud. They had spayed the room with some kind of aircleaner and it did stink terrible - but it was cheap and a great view over Smokey Mountains. Staff was very sweet !

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Each room in this hotel probably had the best view of any in the smokies. The switchback driveway reminded us that we were in the mountains. The rooms were perfectly clean. The beds were comfortable and just right for bad backs.
Bring a cooler, the ice maker was broken.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2010

This was the absolute worse hotel expierence I have ever had. We had several friends/ family staying here for an event. Each of had an issue with the girl who answered the phone. So we check in early evening and head out until much later. Once we get into the room and prepare for bed, we find the bathroom door does not close. So we call the front desk. The answer was so rude, I was unsure if I had even gotten the right place. I let the lady know that we needed someone to fix the door and she informed me that a maintenence man could come late morning (when check out was 11). I asked why it could not be done earlier being that I needed to use the bathroom that night, not after I checked out. She gave an unconcerned reply so I asked for a manager. She said there was not one and proceeded to inform me that there was no manager nor maintence because this was "a motel not a hotel". We fixed the door ourselves by removing the hinges and rehanging it correctly. A little bit later, we go to the bathroom and go to lift the toilet seat, and the seat is not even attached! So we call the front desk and have our room switched. We repacked and were moved a couple doors down. The man who moved us was very defensive of the girl at the front desk. He was the manager. She was his wife. So we are in our new room. The heater is too hot or too cold. We settle down to bed and the heater startes making noises like there is a critter in there!! At this point we just laughed it was so bad. So, I go to the bathroom. Turn on the fan... fan goes "clunk, clunk" and then falls off the ceiling!! I am not kidding. In the morning, (included breakfast was pretty bad) we realize there is no iron, no ironing board. So we go to check out and I clamly inform the manager that we have had a terrible expierence. I did not ask for a discount. I just wanted him to know. And he says he can not control if the toilet seat is broken. Granted, things happen, the seat was not even connected. When house cleaning, cleaned it, there would have been no way to miss it. As I attempted to explain this point of view, he became infuriated ana said "I would like to see what your house looks like". I replied that my home was clean and had working toilets. And he says, and I quote "Screw you! Get out! Leave! Leave Now!" I was appaled. So I leave and call my parents who are staying there as well and who had helped move us in the middle of the night. My father goes down to check out and simply says he understood he had been rude to his daughter. and the manager says "Yes, I told her to screw off and I tell you the same thing. Screw off!". Later we are at the event with the rest of our group. One couple, before they learn about story, says their toilet seat was not attached, fell right off and their heater was terrible. Another couple says they had just checked in and the manager told them that our particular group was trouble makers and caused problems. Tell me, how is it appropiate as a manager to tell anyone to screw off and then tell a complete starnger that they were problems. I would never recommend this place or the Super 8 as it is owned and run by the same man. I fully plan to write corporate and the chamber of commerce. Even if this is a "motel" and not a "hotel", I expect a functioning room. And though I am very careful to be polite, even if I had been a jerk, as a manager, he should never had said what he did. Wow. At least now I have a fun story to tell.. right?

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank w0wee
Reviewed September 11, 2009

This hotel is situated right off of the interstate on top of a hill, up a very steap and curvy driveway! A plus is that is has great views from the windows. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is okay. The staff however was very nice! The hotel is close to several restaurants and is not too far from downtown Waynesville.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
#3 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Maggie Valley Inn and Conference Center

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!