“Old Fashioned Values with Modern Amenities - A True Mountain Gem”

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
New Jersey
“Old Fashioned Values with Modern Amenities - A True Mountain Gem”
Reviewed November 19, 2009

What a beautiful resort tucked away in the mountains just outside of Asheville. My friend and I got rooms here for their Porsche car show event, and we had a blast! We booked our rooms from their web site, which was very easy. My room was modest, but very clean and comfortable. The staff was very gracious and accommodating, they even helped me when I locked my keys in my car!! They went out of their way to help me.
Even thought I don’t play golf, the three nine-hole courses were a delight to walk along the cart paths in the early morning. Coming from New Jersey, I could not get enough of that sweet mountain air and scenic views. This was a great jumping off point for the numerous activities in the area. We went hiking nearby at the suggestion of a staff member; he was very informed of all the local activities. We even did a day trip shopping in Asheville, which is only a very short drive away. Were very happy we DIDN’T stay in the city, Asheville is very nice, but the true star of the show is the mountains.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
NYC
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We really enjoyed this resort, it was very close to great hiking and biking which we loved. The short golf course was also great. We played three different nine hole courses.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We booked this through cheap tickets because their website said our date was sold out. We were under the impression brekfast was included but when we got there this busy lady checking us in said it was not unless booked throught their website which we could not. Then the room,. they gave us this building called Fairview. This non-smoking room had a bad smell from some cleaning chemicals I'm guessing and we had to keep the back door open all day/night to try to filter out the smell. The room seemed clean and updated but little thing like a 20yr old door handle was not changed and I cant say how old the carpet dould be. It wasnt nice for the money we paid which was not a bargain and not breakfast or coffee provided.
The next day we complained & demanded a different room and were given a different building "Golfview". This was really nice and made more sense for the money we were spending. Great room, no smell, well updated, roomy, comfortable etc.
So if your staying here don't expect breakfast and make sure you check out your romm before you check in or reserve a room. Stay away for the Fairview or Fairways.....

3 Thank davedmdusa
HWR
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Being that I left the Waynesville Inn with mostly negative thoughts, I want to start with listing the few good notes about my stay. The grounds of the inn including the exterior of the lodge and golf course were beautiful. In addition, the breakfast was good, although not entirely “included in the room price” as promised. Also, the lady who checked us in on 10/24 was friendly and helpful. Lastly, the bed sheets were clean and the shower was as well.

Let me move onto the negative attributes of the inn. First, the inn website is very misleading in claiming that all of the rooms in the lodge were recently renovated. Our room, 235, had dark wood paneling on the ceiling and walls, thirty year old curtains and an old fashioned box television. The room was so small that each time we exited the bathroom the door hit the TV. It was like I spent the night in the master bedroom of a 1950’s style mobile home. I was shocked that this was management’s idea of a renovation. The lodge sample “room picture” online (fairly large room, freshly painted walls, renovated furniture and bathroom) was nothing like the room we were given. Also, the room walls were thin as paper which was further indicated when someone in our neighboring room awakened me with a yawn (no exaggeration here- that is how thin these walls are) at 4am. Furthermore, the ice machine on our floor was not working. Lastly, we were billed $4.32 for a dining room service fee. I questioned this fee being that we did not dine at the inn with the exception of the “included breakfast.” When I inquired about the charge, the front desk attendee told me that it was gratuity for breakfast. This was appalling being that we never interacted with a single staff member the entire 30 minutes we were eating. We were not greeted upon entering the dining room, we had to hunt down silverware and napkins however we were charged a tip when one was not deserved. They should not be advertising the breakfast as “included” if they plan on tacking on unearned fees. If you are looking for a weekend in an old inn then this is the place for you!

3 Thank HWR

Travelers are raving about these Waynesville hotels

Atlanta, Ga.
Reviewed October 3, 2009

First, it is important to know that the Waynesville Inn is really more like 3 different hotels: The main building is a historic lodge with rustic decor, two dining options and a bar, and is quite charming. There are also two styles of buildings that are separate, including cottages:
The newest of these are exceptional, have suite-style rooms, semi-private patios, and lovely views of the golf course and mountains. (This is where we ended up staying).
The other option you should avoid. The oldest separate buildings are dated, and the rooms are small, dingy and unpleasant. Make sure when you make reservations to ask which building you will be staying in.
We had some confusion when we arrived regarding our reservation. The hotel was full and we ended up "trying out" all three styles of rooms. The management staff was extraordinarily helpful and accommodating in dealing with some issues that were completely out of their control. They provided us with drinks while they were sorting out rooms and in the end we ended up with the perfect location.
This inn is clearly a golfers destination; we are not golfers, but found it equally perfect for our leisure vacation. Location is great for exploring the areas natural attractions!

2 Thank CatieM18
Cary, NC
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Anticipated a great resort in the Western North Carolina Mountains. As we appraoched I changed my mind. Accommodations were varied, we were in Golf View so we could have a porch overlooking the golf course. Planned on playing golf while wife was at a art seminar for the week but found the place crawling with senior golfers. So instead of playing I get the chance to watch them try and hit the par 3 in five or six shots. Big disappointment. The town is nothing like the buildup in the books and brochures.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pocono46
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Sales at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
Dear Guest,

First and foremost I would like to truly apologize for your experience at our resort in Waynesville. I greatly appreciate your feedback and your business. I know this small note does not change the fact that you had a less than enjoyable stay with us. But I wanted to make sure you know we are listening to you and trying our best to improve. Thank you again for your time and business.

Regards,

Jeff
Ocala, FL
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I had a staff meeting for our leadership prior to a larger event at another facility. We loved the Waynesville Inn - very relaxing and enjoyable. Great breakfast every day and friendly helpful staff. The spouses were able to go and enjoy the quaint town nearby while the staff met; the guys loved the golf; we had a buffet luncheon for 40 people and everyone enjoyed the food and service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank EEAdmin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
#5 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Grandview Lodge
Grandview Lodge
#7 of 19 in Waynesville

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!