“Better Than FIrst Look”

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Reviewed May 17, 2014

When you first arrive, it looks a little outdated and run down, certainly not as nice as the pictures. But it turned out to be well kept, clean and comfortable. We stayed down in the "Cottages" and the beds were good, the bathrooms updated and clean and the views very nice. Breakfast was excellent and we played 18 holes on a scenic, short, but challenging golf course. Would like to come back some time for the 9 we missed. Attentive staff. Being just out of town was nice and the views were beautiful. The "fitness center" was an old treadmill and elliptical, not open until 8am so as not to disturb the guests! The "Spa" was a house on the grounds labelled "Spa" but didn't get to try it.

Room Tip: The cottage room was good. Did not see the others but they did not seem as nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JKVictor
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2014

Thank you for taking a few moments to share a review of our property. I will make sure the staff receives your compliments. Indeed, the fitness room is open from 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. because of its proximity to guest rooms and the spa, located in a villa on the property, offers massage, nail services and other treatments. I hope you will be able to give it a try during your next visit!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Reminded me of the set of the dirty dancing movie. My room wasn't updated. No desk in room. The sink was in the room, not bathroom. The mattress wasn't very comfortable. I liked the natural creaking of the wood floors. Good breakfast buffet. Front desk staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JodyE55
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for taking a few moments to share your thoughts. I'm sorry you found your bed uncomfortable and your room's layout a bit unconventional. The stone-walled Lodge building has been here since the 1920s, so many of the floor plans are creative and difficult to change or expand. Thanks again for posting a review. I will make sure the staff receives your compliments. Safe travels!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

My mother and I meet every year for Mother's Day weekend at a place equidistant from Charlotte and Atlanta. This year we chose The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa based on a Groupon promotion and some lovely photos of the grounds.

Mom wanted to stay in the main lodge because of proximity to breakfast, but I was hesitant after reading some of the reviews of the historic rooms. She countered that we have stayed in B&Bs, lodges and hotels all over the southeast and have enjoyed the diversity - we aren't afraid of a little "character". And as usual, Mom was right! Our room (#252) definitely had some older features and decorations, but was very clean and we enjoyed the rustic decor, the picturesque view of the golf course, and the cozy sitting room. In fact, I think this may be the only room with a sitting area - our neighbors all appeared to have balconies instead.

The beds were also comfortable and we made use of the small refrigerator in the room. The only inconveniences we experienced were spotty Wi-Fi (it only worked for a short period on Sunday morning - not on Friday or Saturday) and thin walls. We could hear other guests talking and walking as they passed our room, or stopped to get ice. Fortunately, it was a quiet weekend and nothing disturbed us after 11:00 PM or before 7:45 AM (when the leaf blower started up).

Breakfast every morning was very nice - we enjoyed made-to-order omelets and waffles, and the buffet also included eggs, grits, bacon, sausage, biscuits, muffins, toast, cereal, fruit, juice and coffee/tea. We ate dinner onsite at the Cork and Cleaver one night, and it was the best meal we had during our stay. I actually sent back the Ahi Yellow Fin Tuna ordered the next night at The Chef's Table (rated #1 restaurant in Waynesville) - tasted terrible (Mom agreed).

On top of everything, the staff were universally friendly and helpful both during the reservation process and during our stay. On Saturday morning they suggested we attend a downtown festival which was lots of fun (and included performances by bands and belly dancers, plant sale, art vendors and antique shops). The rest of the time we enjoyed walking around the beautiful grounds and chatting on the veranda in our rocking chairs.

It was a peaceful, relaxing weekend overall - would absolutely recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank TraceyW717

Thank you for taking the time to post such a descriptive account of your time with us. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I will make sure to circulate your comments among the staff and note your suggestions for improvement. Safe travels and a happy belated Mother's Day to your mother!

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Dirty room, holes in our sheets, broken blinds, dirty shower, dirty floors, big disappointment! Staff in the restaurant were nice at breakfast, the people in the bar at dinner time were quite trashy. I paid wayyy too much for this stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KWhite27

I'm so sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay. I apologize for the shortcomings you have described in reference to your accommodations and I will pass along your compliments to the breakfast staff. As for the folks in the bar, I am unsure if you are referring to our staff or our guests. In either case, I have not witnessed or heard anything that would make me agree with your characterization.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We stayed in a room with balcony in the old stone building. It was large, well lighted, comfortable, immaculate and pleasant. The man at the front desk was extremely helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was a good buffet. We would have used the a/c had it been on, but opening the windows worked OK. Other guests seemed to be golfers. We were there as a stop between the Smoky Mountains and Asheville. Waynesville has wonderful craft and antique shops on the main street downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rita M

I'm so happy you enjoyed the town of Waynesville and your stay at the Inn. Thanks so much for taking a few moments to share some details with the TripAdvisor community. I hope we will have you as a guest again very soon!

Reviewed April 30, 2014

This was our second visit (September, 2013 and April 27-29, 2014) with a group of friends and we thoroughly enjoyed our stays. Check in and check out we're very efficient and the staff is very friendly and helpful - Corey especially should be commended for going above and beyond. Enjoyed nine holes of golf on a perfectly maintained and manicured course. We ate lunch in the pub one day and dinner there the same evening. The food and service are excellent - all nine people in the group had positive comments about the meal and service. Maybe next trip we'll stay on a Friday or Saturday night so we can try the Cork and Cleaver. We stayed in the Golfview rooms which are very clean and comfortable and offer a great view of the golf course and mountains if you're on that side of the building. Two of the rooms were on the opposite side so didn't get that view or a balcony. Two of the rooms had a sitting room besides the bedroom/bath. My only complaint is that I didn't get one of those suites! As the planner for our group, I'll be sure to request the "best" room for myself next time!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

It is very gratifying to hear so many nice things about your recent stay. It looks like you took advantage of almost everything we offer ... You'll have to join us sometime this summer or fall, when Cork & Cleaver will be open five nights a week! I will pass your compliments along to Corey and the remainder of the staff and management team. We look forward to setting up your next reservation very soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were looking for that quaint place to stay on our way from Raleigh to the
Smoky Mountain National Park with our final destination being Gatlinburg. It was everything we hoped for: a quiet, beautiful view and, more importantly, a clean and SPACIOUS room. I've never stayed in such a large room of the "standard" variety. While it wasn't the greatest mattress, it wasn't horrible. I would simply characterize it is "springy". And to top off our stay, we were given breakfast vouchers which was an unexpected surprise. Our family of 4 enjoyed the made to order breakfast. We will definitely return if ever in the area again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

I'm so glad you found us a good stopping point on your way to the Smokies! Thank you so much for sharing some details of your recent stay. I will make sure the breakfast staff receives your compliments and I hope we will have you in Waynesville again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
#3 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
#1 of 25 in Maggie Valley

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!