“Relaxing and Refreshing”

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We enjoyed a couple of nights here using a Groupon. This was our second visit here and both times we really enjoyed ourselves. This time we were in the original building and it was dated but comfortable. I had seen online the type room we were to have and so I wasn't disappointed or surprised at the appearance. The floor we stayed on had a center section with tables and chairs. At night several couples gathered for games and cards with snacks to share. They were all having a great time. We loved sitting in the rocking chairs and soaking in the beautiful view of the golf course and the mountains. The breakfast was wonderful. I don't think we needed to eat anything else all day. Everyone was friendly and overall it was a very pleasant couple of days. We didn't play golf but enjoyed watching others play. I would highly recommend the Waynesville Inn and Golf Resort.

Room Tip: We were in room 237 and we had no view at all. We looked over the roof of buildings. If you want a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alcoatraveler
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us at The Waynesville Inn. It is exciting to hear from another satisfied guest and I appreciate your recommending our property to others. I hope we will have you as our guests again very soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

What a pleasant stay we had. The staff was extremely friendly and eager to serve. Our room was very, very clean. The breakfast buffet was nice (they will make you a great omelet) and we got a great deal through Travel Zoo. Area was beautiful with a great view of the mountains all around.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rob B
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I also appreciate your time in posting a review of the Inn. It's always very gratifying to hear from satisfied guests. I hope we will be able to have you back very soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked a room for two nights recently that I purchased through a Groupon deal: $150 for two nights in this hotel. I booked a "historic" room, which I can only take to mean "old." The building itself is gorgeous on the outside. Great views, beautiful golf course (though I don't golf). The staff was friendly. But the room was horrible.

There were visible leaks on the ceiling; the heat never came on, no matter how I adjusted the thermostat; the floor was uneven, bumpy and creaked; everything seemed slightly damp throughout the stay, including the bed and pillows; there were noisy events literally right outside of my room for both nights I was there, lasting until 11 p.m. or later (a company party and a wedding), and when I say literally outside of the room, I mean it - I could open the blinds in the room or the bathroom and feel like I was a guest for the parties.

The room came with a complimentary breakfast buffet and that was fantastic. The power was off one morning during our stay but the hotel staff still prepared a great breakfast in the dark. I was highly impressed. Also, it is worth noting to future guests, that the hotel is part of a country club. Especially if you stay in the "historic" rooms, you will walk through the country club's lounge to get in, out, to breakfast or even to get ice. That being said, don't plan to walk around in your pajamas.

All in all, this was not the worst hotel I've stayed in. But with the cost of $150 (and that was half the normal price due to the Groupon deal), it was most definitely NOT worth it. I will not stay at this inn again, nor recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend not staying in the historic rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank berael

Thank you so much for your time in posting some details of your recent visit. Although you did not enjoy your stay as much as we are accustomed, I appreciate your compliments to the staff, especially in the face of the power outage while you were here. I apologize for your accommodations not measuring up and I'm sorry that you were disturbed by the events going on. We try very hard to ensure the enjoyment of all of our guests, and in this case it appears we fell short. If you are ever traveling near Waynesville again, please contact me directly and I will do my best to place you in one of our Mountain View rooms, which are newer and a bit more private. Thanks again for your comments. Safe travels!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed here two nights during my daughter's intercollegiate golf tournament. When I arrived at the registration counter I was told that I had been upgraded to the golf view lodges at the far end of the resort. It was within walking distance but I preferred to drive to the main part of the resort. Since my room was not quite ready, I went to the pro shop to pay for my round of golf. The staff in the pro shop were all very polite and friendly. They made sure I knew that the university teams were having their practice rounds and that I shouldn't go out right away or I would be waiting at every hole.

I golfed on the Blue Ridge and Dogwood nines. The views of the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway were breathtaking. When following my daughter during her golf tournament, I couldn't stop enjoying all the scenic views.

My golf view room was spacious and clean. Beds and pillows were comfortable. I liked the walk-in closet with the low table, luggage rack and long mirror. There was even enough room to iron my clothes. The second floor balcony overlooked the Carolina holes. There was a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker in the room. The bathrooms were clean, with updated fixtures. I did, however, feel the age of this resort overall. My room telephone didn't work and according to the front desk, parts were being ordered. The television were not the flat screens.

Breakfast was included with my stay. It was a buffet but I could have my eggs made to order. Overall, it was very good. I would stay here again in the future and would recommend this place.
The golf teams were housed in the Fairway section. I assume this was the reason I was upgraded to the golf view rooms. It was most considerate of the hotel to accommodate me. My daughter said her room was much smaller then mine and had no microwave or refrigerator. My room was definitely an upgrade according to her.

Room Tip: the Golfview rooms are definitely an upgrade to the Fairway sections.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank iag2011
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

We feel very blessed to have hosted the Great Smokies Intercollegiate each of the past 15 years and are glad that you were able to stay with us and watch your daughter compete. Thank you for taking some time to share the details of your visit. I'm glad you were pleased with the accommodations, the courses and our staff. I hope we will have you as a guest again in the near future. Safe travels!

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stays ts property fr 4 night in early August. I stayed into historic section in a single queen with a balcony. It was old and historic with a very small bath. I still enjoyed the resort. The breakfast was great and the bar pub was great. Enjoyed taking walks on the golf pathways and having a glass of wine on the balcony or on the porch in a rocker. If I can get a deal I will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard D
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us in Waynesville. I am happy to hear from another satisfied guest, and I will make sure to forward your compliments on to the remainder of the staff. Thanks again for your business and your time in posting a review. Safe travels!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Solo traveler this trip, attending a two-day (Friday evening and Saturday day) conference in mid-September 2013. I had stayed here for a prior year conference, so this was a return trip after 7 years.
ROOM: I was unable to book a quaint room in the Main Lodge, so I had an end room in the Fairway section. This is one of the oldest sections of the Inn, and it showed. Carpet was in fair condition, but bunched in the main area in sections. Two part bathroom, small section for single sink and counter, commode and shower tub. Larger section with long counter and another single sink, I liked being able to spread out my personal care items. There was plenty of hot water, an adjustable showerhead, clean towels, bath mat and shower mat, soap and shampoo. My room had no microwave or mini-fridge, though I saw a staff member delivering a mini-fridge to an adjacent room. Non-smoking room, but patio table and chairs and an ashtray provided outside on ground floor patio that opened to a green provided for my smoking needs. A/C unit was relatively quiet and effective for outside nighttime lows of 45 and daytime highs of 75. It might have been more difficult to cool to my desired 70 in the summertime. Two queen beds were firm and extra pillows and blankets were available in the open closet shelf. Coffee maker adequate, you brew coffee into a hard plastic carafe. TV was older model CRT with remote, although I was unable to find a sleep timer, which I feel is a shortcoming. Venetian blinds worked well, though for absolute privacy, one might want to be on the second floor. I was able to hear a running child in the room above. There were cobwebs in the venetian blinds at the window sill area.
FOOD: I ate dinner on Friday night in the tap room sports bar & grill. It was crowded due to our conference and a reunion group. I had an excellent paella with chicken, shrimp and andouille (sp) sausage in spicy cajun rice. They do have a full bar and flat screen TVs around the area. I talked to some diners who were local townspeople who come regularly for the good food. While service was slow due to full house and only two waitstaff, both were very polite and efficient under the circumstances. I did not eat at the breakfast buffet, which I felt was a bit pricey.
CONFERENCE ROOM: The Blue Ridge Conference Room was spacious with excellent HVAC (unlike many places that can get very stuffy). Service staff were polite and efficient.
OVERALL: I would consider staying here on my own, although I would stay in a different building. The grounds are lovely, and I thoroughly enjoyed the view and the cool less humid weather compared to my Piedmont North Carolina home, just 3 1/2 hours east.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

It was a pleasure hosting your group last week and we appreciate you sharing some details of your stay with the TripAdvisor community. I appreciate your extensive feedback and have sent your comments to the remainder of the management team for review. Thanks again for posting a review. I hope we will see you again soon!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We played one round of golf on 2 of the beautiful 9-hole courses. Or golf view room was spacious and had a wonderful view of the course. The beds were very comfortable and we were as far from the main lodge as could be, but the walk back and forth was not too far.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being in the Golf View section away from the main lodge. There are not many rooms with ki...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us in Waynesville. It is very gratifying to hear from another satisfied guest. In reference to your room tip, we are a bit limited on kings but do have plans to convert to them in many of our existing double rooms in the near future. Thanks again for your business, and for your time in posting a review of the Inn. We hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
#3 of 3 in Lake Junaluska
Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
#1 of 25 in Maggie Valley

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!