“Some Holes-in-one, Some Bogeys”

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Yadkin Valley (North Carolina)
“Some Holes-in-one, Some Bogeys”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Solo traveler this trip, attending a two-day (Friday evening and Saturday day) conference in mid-September 2013. I had stayed here for a prior year conference, so this was a return trip after 7 years.
ROOM: I was unable to book a quaint room in the Main Lodge, so I had an end room in the Fairway section. This is one of the oldest sections of the Inn, and it showed. Carpet was in fair condition, but bunched in the main area in sections. Two part bathroom, small section for single sink and counter, commode and shower tub. Larger section with long counter and another single sink, I liked being able to spread out my personal care items. There was plenty of hot water, an adjustable showerhead, clean towels, bath mat and shower mat, soap and shampoo. My room had no microwave or mini-fridge, though I saw a staff member delivering a mini-fridge to an adjacent room. Non-smoking room, but patio table and chairs and an ashtray provided outside on ground floor patio that opened to a green provided for my smoking needs. A/C unit was relatively quiet and effective for outside nighttime lows of 45 and daytime highs of 75. It might have been more difficult to cool to my desired 70 in the summertime. Two queen beds were firm and extra pillows and blankets were available in the open closet shelf. Coffee maker adequate, you brew coffee into a hard plastic carafe. TV was older model CRT with remote, although I was unable to find a sleep timer, which I feel is a shortcoming. Venetian blinds worked well, though for absolute privacy, one might want to be on the second floor. I was able to hear a running child in the room above. There were cobwebs in the venetian blinds at the window sill area.
FOOD: I ate dinner on Friday night in the tap room sports bar & grill. It was crowded due to our conference and a reunion group. I had an excellent paella with chicken, shrimp and andouille (sp) sausage in spicy cajun rice. They do have a full bar and flat screen TVs around the area. I talked to some diners who were local townspeople who come regularly for the good food. While service was slow due to full house and only two waitstaff, both were very polite and efficient under the circumstances. I did not eat at the breakfast buffet, which I felt was a bit pricey.
CONFERENCE ROOM: The Blue Ridge Conference Room was spacious with excellent HVAC (unlike many places that can get very stuffy). Service staff were polite and efficient.
OVERALL: I would consider staying here on my own, although I would stay in a different building. The grounds are lovely, and I thoroughly enjoyed the view and the cool less humid weather compared to my Piedmont North Carolina home, just 3 1/2 hours east.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
It was a pleasure hosting your group last week and we appreciate you sharing some details of your stay with the TripAdvisor community. I appreciate your extensive feedback and have sent your comments to the remainder of the management team for review. Thanks again for posting a review. I hope we will see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We played one round of golf on 2 of the beautiful 9-hole courses. Or golf view room was spacious and had a wonderful view of the course. The beds were very comfortable and we were as far from the main lodge as could be, but the walk back and forth was not too far.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being in the Golf View section away from the main lodge. There are not many rooms with ki...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us in Waynesville. It is very gratifying to hear from another satisfied guest. In reference to your room tip, we are a bit limited on kings but do have plans to convert to them in many of our existing double rooms in the near future. Thanks again for your business, and for your time in posting a review of the Inn. We hope to see you again soon!
WINSTON SALEM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed in a historic room in the lodge. The desk staff was WONDERFUL - cordial and efficient!!! The recommendations of local restaurants was spot on. The room was very quiet and clean - quite comfortable - a great value. We used a Living Social coupon .... but, will go again with or without a coupon.

Room Tip: It was lovely to go out on the veranda and sit in the evening catching up on emails and rocking in t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BARBARA S
Thank you for choosing The Waynesville Inn for your recent mountain getaway! I am glad that you found our staff so helpful and the rooms so comfortable. The greatest compliment we can earn is a return visit, and I hope we will be seeing you again very soon. Thanks again for your business. Safe travels!
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights/three days at the Waynesville Inn last week. It was tranquil and beautiful. We played two of the three nine-hole golf courses. The Dogwood was a manicured course, the Blue Ridge more farm-like. Both courses were fun to play. The included breakfast buffet and omelette station were excellent. We ate one dinner and one lunch in the Inn's casual restaurant. Food was very good. Our room was in the Golfview complex. It was large and well-equipped with fridge, microwave, large closet, and a nice patio with two chairs & a table.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor. On the second floor, you'd be able to open the balcony doors at nigh...
1 Thank pachapmn
I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay enough to share some details with the TripAdvisor community. I have forwarded your review to the golf maintenance and breakfast staffs, and I am sure they will appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
Durham, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend because of a Groupon deal. The grounds were great, our room was very spacious and generally comfortable. The patio was a great place to unwind, and the view was gorgeous. Breakfast was wonderful with lots of selection, including an omelette and waffle bar. The only negative part of our stay were the mattresses. They were surprisingly firm and rather uncomfortable. We slept okay but it was not an entirely restful sleep for us. We are not too picky our stay- after all, a hotel room is simply a place to shower and sleep- but when the mattress doesn't give you a good night's sleep it can affect your opinion!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for your business and for taking a few moments to share your thoughts about the Inn. I'm glad you enjoyed your overall stay with us in Waynesville, but I am sorry your sleep wasn't as restful as it should have been. We are working each day to eliminate such shortfalls in experience. As such, I have e-mailed you and I hope you will respond with the room number from your recent stay so we can take a closer look. Thanks again for your post and your patronage!
Matthews, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

After reading such varying reviews about the resort, when we arrived we really didn't know what to expect. We stayed in one of the Golfview rooms over looking the golf course. Beautiful view of the mts. and course. We enjoyed sitting on the balcony.It was a short walk to the main lodge where a great complimentart breakfast was offered. A wide varity of foods, including a chef who who made omelets or waffles to order. The people at the front desk where very nice and helpful. We ate one meal at the Tap Room. Great hamburger! The room was very spacious, large closet and even sliding drawer selves under the sink to store you bath toiletries to get them off the counter. Overall it was a great weekend and the course was great. We would definitely recommend others to stay here.

Room Tip: second floor of the golfview rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us in Waynesville. I am happy your stay exceeded the expectations you had developed prior to your arrival. I appreciate your time in posting a review about the Inn and hope to have you as a guest again in the future. Safe travels!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just returned from a weekend trip to Waynesville Inn to celebrate wedding anniversary. We took advantage of a Groupon offer and had a nice relaxing time. We were in a ground level mountain view room situated on one of the golf course greens. The patio was a nice place to relax and enjoy a beautiful view with great weather. The breakfast buffet was very ample and the staff friendly. Our only complaint was that the mattresses could use some updating and our room smelled like pet urine. Good thing we brought some air freshener which helped with the smell! It might be time for the carpet in that particular room to get a good cleaning. Overall, the room was clean and spacious though. We would definitely consider coming back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing The Waynesville Inn as the destination for your recent anniversary getaway. I appreciate your time in posting a review of our property and apologize for the difficulties you encountered in your guest room. I have contacted you to obtain your room number so we can correct these issues for future guests. Thanks again for sharing your special occasion with us! I hope to see you in Waynesville again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
BEST WESTERN Smoky Mountain Inn
#1 of 19 in Waynesville
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 8 in Waynesville

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!