“Quiet competence”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Huntsville, Alabama
“Quiet competence”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We needed a short respite and booked a Groupon stay for two nights and breakfasts at a very good rate. Spacious room with golf/mountain view and an efficient staff made our short stay very pleasant. The golf course had three nine- hole tracks, one designed in 1926 by Donald Ross, and was in impeccable shape. An atmosphere of friendly relaxation, with impromptu happy-hour gatherings throughout the property provided a homey feel. Piping hot breakfast including made-to-order waffles and omelettes accompanied with fresh fruit and juices added value to the experience. We would recommend the resort to any value-conscious traveller, especially mature couples traveling without children.

Room Tip: Golf-view rooms are spacious, clean, newer than lodge rooms. Large balconies and good views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you so much for taking some time to share your thoughts about our property. I'm glad you were able to get away for a few days and relax with us. Thank you so much for your business. I hope we will be able to serve you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The three nine-hole segments of the golf course (2 dating from Donald Ross in the '20s) are challenging, well-maintained and not crowded - a delight to play! But rooms In the main lodge need new carpets, fresh paint everywhere, an A/C system controlled beyond on/off, replacement floors and tiles in the bathroom. And a lamp on the child-size desk would be nice. Restaurant service is chaotic at best. Servers try to handle the crowd, but they are at sea. The manager spent his time bussing tables, not organizing his staff. Typical shortfall, bartender created a new drink that was very good. Dirt cheap price ($3), so greatly in demand. ran out of cherry vodka (key ingredient), end of special - disappointed customers. A request for a room with a golf course view was met with blank stare and a muddled explanation that said nothing. At breakfast, bussers were tossing plates around with noisy abandon and scraping plates of garbage within inches of seated diners - ghastly behavior. Without the golf this place would rate a minus rating.

Room Tip: Demand golf course view!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking some time to post about your experience at the Inn. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us and endured some shortfalls in service and product. We do take these comments very seriously and I will be passing your observations along to all of our department heads. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with the TripAdvisor community. I hope we will be able to serve you again if you are near Waynesville in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Waynesville hotels

Rome,Georgia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The golf courses are beautiful. Rocking chairs on the porch overlooking the courses, piped music, flowers all around. Breakfast buffet was very good. But they need to spend some of the money on the inside. Rooms are uncomfortable, dated and not very functional. the bed was one of the most uncomfortable; bathroom lacks counter space and storage; carpet and furniture old, musty, stained. Strong tobacco odor in the room and hallway. I'm rating it very good because we got a great price and stayed outside all we could!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for taking a few moments to post a review. While I am very happy that you ended up enjoying your stay overall, I have noted your observations regarding areas for improvement and will make sure to share them with the remainder of the management team. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Safe travels and we hope to see you again soon!
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Wnen I booked with Travelzoo the ad said choice of rooms and great views. I booked over a month before taking the trip. Spent 2 nights in mid July and guess what? NO CHOICE OF ROOMS and NO VIEW. The room and bathroom were the smallest I have ever been in. We stayed in "The Lodge" and it smelled musty and not too clean. This is not a resort by any means. I would rate this place as a 2 star motel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank huskyf57
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I apologize for your recent stay in Waynesville not living up to your expectations. We work very hard to make sure all promotions are 100% based in fact, and, as such, stand behind the offer of which you are speaking. However, I do understand your frustration in not being able to enjoy a room with a balcony and view when many of our Historic rooms offer them. Please also know that we always try to put our guests in the best possible rooms upon check-in, regardless of rate. Again, I am very sorry you did not enjoy your time with us, but I hope you will consider making a return visit.
Roswell, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This past weekend, our group of Fraternity brothers went to the Waynesville Inn for the 22nd year in a row. The golf was outstanding. The course was in beautiful shape, and the greens were absolutely perfect. The only waiting on the course was due to players in our own group, and we quickly corrected that.

The poor service took place at the restaurant, which we eat breakfast and dinner each day we're there, so Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. Friday night, we were literally the only people in the restaurant, and it still took 90 minutes to get our entrees. In addition, when we arrived that evening for our 7pm reservation, the wait staff had no idea who we were or why we were there. In other words, our reservation never got booked. They made amends, but the fact that we were the only ones in the restaurant made that much easier.

The service on Saturday night was very similar, although this time they knew we were coming, and had a nice table for our entire group outside. But again, the service was very poor, and very slow.

To top all that off, the average ticket for EACH person in our group was over $50. That's $50 for one person's dinner, PLUS drinks, if you ordered alcohol.

We'll be back next year, assuming it's still in business (you could easily see some drastic cut backs and lack of maintenance around the hotel facilities), because that's our tradition. However, we all agreed that we would order pizza for dinner, save $500 for our group, and hang out at the Cottages, rather than endure the poor service and WAY overpriced food.

Breakfast buffet - especially the omelette bar - is very, very good. Not as good as the golf, but very good.

Room Tip: The "cottages" are where we always stay, but they are OLD. The "Fairways" are e...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
First of all, thank you so much for your support over the years. I am very sorry that you experienced some shortfalls in service while you were here, but I am happy to have heard your group has chosen to stay with us again next year. We have already discussed your review and are working to improve in the areas that you have highlighted. I look forward to you and your brothers returning around the same time in 2014, and hope you will leave more satisfied than after any of your prior stays. Safe travels!
Folly Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Where do I even begin..!? This was one of the upmost respectable Golf Resorts that me and my family have ever been to in the past. From the very beginning, me and my whole entire family were treated better than we could have ever expected. The young gentleman, Brian, who was working in the office, went well beyond his job description/duties to make sure that we had anything and everything that we needed during our entire stay at The Waynesville Inn Golf Resort & Spa. I wish I could always expect service at every resort that I visit like the service we were given by the younger gentleman. (He is truly going places in life!) We had booked a Mountain View room and was astonished by the beautiful Golfview suite that we had purchased. The food in the Cork & Cleaver restaurant and the Tap Room Sports Bar & Grill was also quite amazing as well. Me and my fiancé placed golf several days during our stay while the rest of our family enjoyed the spa, pool, and other amenities that the Golf Resort had to offer. This review doesn't even begin to describe what am absolutely AMAZING time we had at The Waynesville Inn. Once again, a HUGE thanks to Brian and the other employees that made our family vacation a complete success!! We will definitely be coming back in the near future :)

Room Tip: Mountain View Rooms = AMAZING!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking some time to post a review of the Inn. I am very happy that you enjoyed your time so much and will make sure to send your thanks to Brian, and the rest of the staff and management team, once again. I hope we will see you in Waynesville again soon! Safe travels!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Bad: We purchased a package from Social Living. I guess the impacts the room you are given. We were obviously given the worst room in the resort.old, old, old & outdated. The bed was awful. It was a two room setup - obviously in the old days two rooms shared one bath. The bedroom was tiny with no pictures on the wall......the lamps were cool - and there was a flat screen. A bathroom the size of one on an old cruise ship joined to the " other" rom - which had two old chairs - two "0ld" ugly pictures and another flatscreen. This was in the main building - the dark & narrow halls looked more like an old cruise ship - you can walk with hands touching on both sides.

Since I am a travel agent I walked around the resort an peaked in open rooms as they were being cleaned - the rooms facing the golf course were decorated nicely - mountin style but attractive and welcoming. They also had small balconies. The rooms on our side faced the parking lot and had nothing....maybe we were assigned the servants quarters. There are two additional out buildings - and the ones along the golf course the nicest and most desirable.

Food: we tried both the Cork & Cleaver for dinner ( buffet breakfast also served here daily - included) and the tap room for lunch. We sat outside for dinner - that was lovely - but they had run out of many items so our selection was limited - service was good - food - average. Breakfast buffett was average...lunch at the Tap Room was average too.

This has a nice golf course - and the staff was friendly. It would make for an awesome golf getaway - if you had a decent room. Location near both Asheville, Biltmore House, Great Smokey Mountain NP, and Harrahs in Cherokee is very nice....and Waynesville is a cute littl mountain town with fun shops.

.Once we saw our room - I asked to change offered to pay for an upgrade - but the could not/would do this because a group was coming in the next day. Cory - the desk manager was very kind and even Brought me an "egg crate" from his home the next day for the awful....awful....bed. Very poor sleep the first night......it was better the 2nd night with the egg crate ( I was disparate at that point) so big thank you to Cody....

We had hoped to find a resort to return to with our friends for a golf getaway - and to refer clients from my agency to - but only if there was a guarantee to the room assignment in the newer rooms overlooking the golf course.....

These is also a spa. Prices looked reasonable but we did not try this out.

Room Tip: NOT in the main building facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Slsmartin
Chris C, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
I'm so sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay as much as we hope each guest does. The room you stayed in certainly has a unique layout, but we do have many return guests that ask for that particular room for that very reason. I appreciate your compliments to the staff and will make sure to pass all of your comments on to the remainder of the management team. Thanks for taking some time to share your experience. I hope you will make it back to Waynesville again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
#6 of 19 in Waynesville
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#4 of 8 in Waynesville

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!