“Great place for a golfer!”

The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I stopped here on our last night of vacation in Western NC. I was looking forward to it as I really wanted to golf while my wife took advantage of the spa and exploring the quaint town of Waynesville. The property itself was beautiful, the entire staff from the hotel, restaurant and golf course were super friendly and genuinely seemed eager to assit in any way. Breakfst in the morning was delightful. I also really liked the layout of the golf course. If you are a duffer, you need to play all 27 holes. Beautifly maintained and receptive greens with a few really challenging holes. The only really negative about the place is that the accomodations are in dire need of some updating. We stayed in one of the Mountain View rooms right off the golf course and while the view was stunning and the room itself was clean, it looked like a trip back into 1984. I'm not one to get too hung up on this sort of thing as we have stayed at other places that are more "rustic", but for the price you think they could at least update the linens and comforter on the beds. One positive note about this, they haven't updated the plumping either so the water pressure was awesome as compared to most other properties these days which have retrofitted showers and toliets with low-flow fixtures. Despite that, we are looking forward to a return visit. It will be on our list for our stopover night on the way to Pawley's Island from now on.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you so much for taking some time to post a review of our property. I am very happy to read your comments - especially your kind words about our staff. I appreciate your input on the things we can improve upon, and your thoughts about our plumbing are the type of thing that make reading and responding to these reviews more enjoyable. Please give us a call when you are preparing for your next trip to Pawley's. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

For our second visit, we stayed in one of the older rooms. It was fine. Since it could sleep 4 (there was a sleeper sofa), maybe another tv could be put in that area. No real issues with the room or the golf course. Had the surf & turf on that Saturday night- it was delicious. We are looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
thewaynesvilleinn, Director of Rooms at The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

I'm so glad to hear you have enjoyed your time with us so much that you are a repeat guest and have pledged to join us again in the future. I will send your compliments regarding dinner to our Executive Chef so he can let the culinary team know their hard work is not going unnoticed. Thank you so much for posting a review of the Inn. We're already looking forward to your next visit to Waynesville!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The room had two beds, one extremely firm, and one ok. The keys were old fashioned metal keys. The last time I saw that was about thirty years ago. They had a nice bar. The bar maid was very friendly, but not to us. She was chatting with the three people at the other end of the bar, bit ignored us when sh was done talking to them. They had a nice BBQ for the 4th of July, but it was for members only. We had a nice view of all the people having fun and could hear the bluegrass music, sort of. The Cork and Cleaver had uncomfortable chairs. The seating surface offered no support and you kind of sink into them. In the heart of NC wine country, all of the wines on their list were from CA or WA. Go figure. ???? We were offered a special, lobster with something else for $70.00 for 2. We were also offered a bottle of special wine for $85.00. Believe me, if we were going to spend that much, we would not spend it there. We wondered why the b'fast was crowded and the dinner sparsely attended. Now we know. Speaking of b'fast we had trouble finding an empty table that had been bussed. There was a bus cart filled with dirty dishes in the middle of the breakfast area and it stayed there for about 20 minutes. Most of the help were friendly, though.

1  Thank Bud D
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Thank you for taking a few moments to post a review of the Inn. I appreciate all of the things you have highlighted for improvement, and while some are by design (metal keys in the Historic Lodge), and some we have tried before (NC wines have traditionally been poor sellers), I have noted some that we can consider in improving the experiences of all of our future guests. Thanks again for your time in posting a review.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We loved this place! It's not the Ritz but its clean& quiet! I took my Mother who had been wanting to go to the mountains. Our Brookside room was spacious with older furnishings but clean& comfortable beds.Breakfast buffett was chaotic the first morning but the 2nd day,July 4, redeemed the previous one omelette station up& running. The Cork& Cleaver restaurant was great!! Ask for Dina she knows her wines & her menu. Awesome service a rarity nowadays. The pool is small for.the size of the resort but the golf course was busy. The Balsam Spa was relaxing ,Amanda ,has strong hands.Actually was one of the best massages I've had.would definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Inn with the TripAdvisor community. I appreciate the candor of your comments and I know Dina and Amanda will be very grateful for your kind words. I hope we can have you as a guest again soon. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Recently, we stayed here on a romantic getaway to the mountains. I use the term stayed very loosely as we never actually slept here. The outside is both natural and welcoming, the greens are beautiful, the pool is clean but small (but not the kind of pool area a resort should offer), and the people seem nice enough. It is clear that all the good things about this hotel stop here.
The rooms are circa 1962, and at best reflect the general feel of a roadside/rent by the hour motel. Ceilings are drop ceilings. Bedspread was so old it was peeling. Carpet may have been green at one point in time instead of black - could not really decipher the color. Cable and wires running around the room are visible. Paint is so old it may even be lead based! When you are going through the pictures of the rooms on the website, add about 20 years to them and that is the room you will get. Website is very misleading in the way, and the term "rustic" should be interpreted as dingy, old, and stale. It is quite clear that they put all their resources into the greens and nothing back into the hotel.
We knew we could not spend our weekend here, and promptly loaded our bell cart up and left for Asheville. We did not bother checking out as we purchased this through a third party. We just decided to get the heck out of Dodge, and not even bother arguing about a refund. Leaving was sufficient for us as this place was not worth even the discounted rate of $89 that we paid for it.
If you are thinking of staying here for a guys weekend where you will be spending all your time golfing, and out of the room . . . do it. If you are celebrating something special such as a birthday, honeymoon, or anniversary . . . don't.

Room Tip: Avoid Historic Building/Main Lodge.
3  Thank hoteltraveler00
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

I'm so sorry that your first impression of the Inn was not as good as we have been accustomed to hearing over the years, and you were not able to enjoy a weekend with us. While not for everyone, our Historic rooms in the Lodge are among our most popular, and exactly what you will see on our website. I appreciate your kind words about the staff being nice enough, and hope that you did pursue an upgrade prior to leaving, as we are always open to offering these upgrades free of charge if availability allows for it. I do hope you had an enjoyable couple of nights at your next destination and wish you the best of luck in your new marriage!

Reviewed June 30, 2012

This was our fourth trip to Waynesville. This time we invited friends along. We made reservations for adjoining rooms. When we arrived the adjoining room had been given to people that arrived earlier because it was the only clean room. We arrived at 4:30 PM. We made tee times for the two mountain courses for the next day. When we started to play we were told by the pro that we could not play the one mountain course. The course was in terrible shape. Any balls hit into it were lost. Rooms were clean but are outdated. We will not return. We contacted the manager but she was was not concerned about our problems.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank golfcouple2
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

While it is encouraging to hear that you have been with us several times, I apologize for this trip not living up to your previous stays, especially since you thought enough of us to invite another couple. I am so sorry we were able to place your rooms only one room apart instead of side-by-side, but a number of operational challenges prevents us from guaranteeing room placement. We do make every effort to place related parties as close as possible to one another, but I will reiterate to our reservations staff to communicate this policy more clearly. Even though we feel our decisions, such as the addition of more natural areas, are improving our course, I can understand that changes are sometimes not well received, especially when they make the course more difficult than in years past. I appreciate your compliments to our housekeepers and have noted some other things to improve upon. Thank you so much for your support over the years and for your review. I hope you will find your way back to Waynesville at some point. We certainly appreciate your loyalty and would appreciate an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

All of the reviews on here about how horrible this inn is must have stayed at a different place. I had an amazing stay here. When I arrived they upgraded me for free into a room that had an amazing view. They also answered all of my questions I had about the area and where to go. The free breakfast that is provided here was amazing! The staff was even great in the breakfast hall! All of the staff here were very nice! I will be returning to the Waynesville Inn!

Room Tip: The lodges on the golf course were amazing and I think that is the best place to stay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and will be returning. I will pass your kind words along to the staff to show them just how much their work is appreciated by travelers like yourself. Thanks for your review and thank you for your business!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
#3 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Quality Inn & Suites Maggie Valley - Cherokee Area

Been to The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!