“Don't expect much”
Review of The Lodge

The Lodge
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Waynesville
The Lodge
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Waynesville
Reviewed May 8, 2012

The positive:
• Room rate was about $62.00 (after the taxes);
• Location was within walking distance to a steak house restaurant and a convenience store.
• Staff were friendly;
• Air conditioner was good and cold; not sure about the heater;
• Light breakfast is served from 7-9am. We ended up eating at Joey's Pancake House (very good) in nearby Maggie Valley.

The negative:
• Plain and simple... the place is a dump. Don't expect the quality of other hotels, such as Best Western or Days Inn, in the same price range;
• The place is old, but old isn't the problem. The place is not maintained. The property looks junky and the concrete stairs and walkways look like they haven't been pressure washed EVER. The painted room numbers on the doors are faded and hard to read. There was a sign on the stairwell that said "For your safety, hold the rails" and the last thing I wanted to do was touch the rail. Seriously, and I'm not an overly picky person with regard to hotels as long as they are clean.
• As another reviewer mentioned, the carpet just looked nasty, like it had never been cleaned. The walls were in bad shape wallpaper-wise and the doors had scuffs on them. The bathroom floor tiles were cracked in several places, and the white grout was black in most places. However, the tub and toilet were clean. The TV was old, though not a big deal, but the remote was missing it's back so the batteries kept falling out. I was excited to have a balcony but it looked unsafe to stand on. The bed mattress was on the hard side, but I did sleep well. The pillows, however, were disappointingly flat. But my hubby used the 2 from our bed and I used the 2 from the other bed so it worked out.
• There is no microwave in the room, but there is one in the lobby. Note: the lobby is open 24 hours but after a certain point it will be locked and you'll have to use an outside telephone to contact the attendant. On another note, don't tap on the window that's adjacent to the phone because when I did at 10:30ish pm, the attendant nearly had a heart attack :) sorry;
• There is no refrigerator; and
• There is no wi-fi/internet;
• Two small/thin soaps are all that is provided.

I ended up at The Lodge because I didn't pre-plan. It wasn't a bad stay, overall, but I was disappointed in what I got for my $55... especially given that I'm writing this review from a Best Western that costs $4 more and is night-and-day, head-over-heels better. I hope this review is of help to you in your decision-making.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank moonpie63
There are newer reviews for The Lodge

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Opened door to overpowering smell of cigarette factory. Carpet is filthy. Cigarette burns everywhere--sheets, pillows, curtains, chairs, on the tv, on side of tub was riddled with them--smelled like a stale ashtray. We would sleep in our car before staying here again!!!!! Beds were low to ground and hard as a rock. No hot water in the morning. Room was not remodeled looks like something from the 70's. Went with a large group and everyone had the same evaluation. AND AGAIN DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE SMELL.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This lodge has been around and apparently through many renovations. The beds leave much to be desired. They are so firm and low to the ground. The sinks are definitely dated and has cracks in the porcelain.
The Staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: Request a ground floor as there is no elevator.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2009

Checked in 8 PM and departed at 10:30 PM. Room smelled horrible... sheets looked dirty... bugs dead in bathroom... wife and I had the "heebee geebees" and could not even think about taking off our clothes to sleep... so got up, turned the key in to the night clerk and drove 3 hours home... lost $80+ dollars and a nights sleep, but it was a nightmare of a place!‎

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cowboychincs
Reviewed September 10, 2009

My family and I stayed at The Lodge for the weekend while visiting some friends. The staff was very kind. Bill and Cindy went out of thier way to make us comfortable. We really felt like they were happy to have us, unlike one of the other motels we looked at.
We have 3 children under 12. The pool was nice as well as the patio's. The rooms were clean. We look forward to going again next year.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank handyropeman
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Our room was clean and had a balcony with rocking chairs and a view of the pool. For the money we were very pleased, it didn't cost a fortune and we got to visit the Great Smoky Mtns National Park, Cherokee and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. The staff could not have been better, because we locked our keys in the car and they bent over backwards to help us, gave us a late check-out that day. Nice people.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank PattyMeltFL
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Upon entering our room, it smelled of mildew. After a couple of days of hoping the cleaning crew would correct this, I trekked to the local CVS and purchased Tilex and Lysol. I found the shower curtain was the culprit. After a couple of thorough sprays, the smell was gone. I also noticed there was a water leak on the other side of the shower wall. The tub would not drain well; so your showers would soon turn into baths. Although the rugs looked clean, it left black residue on our socks. Pillows were old and offered no support. Beds are horribly stiff. I couldn't wait to get into my own bed.

The staff was very pleasant, courteous, and polite. I only stayed there because I was obligated to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
The Waynesville Inn, Golf Resort & Spa
Super 6 - Waynesville
Super 6 - Waynesville
#5 of 8 in Waynesville

Been to The Lodge? Share your experiences!