“Wonderful relaxation in the mountains.”
Review of The Swag

The Swag
Ranked #4 of 19 Waynesville B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Our room was very comfortable & cozy. It had a wood burning fireplace which we used twice. The food was outstanding, especially the breakfast buffet. Service was great, and the atmosphere was very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Swag

Reviewed August 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed here in mid-august as a getaway. I had been thinking of going for awhile but it seemed so expensive. After going, I think it was was worth it. Everything is included and every little detail is attended too.

We stayed in the Woodshed - such a romantic cabin. We had a lovely fireplace and the cleaning staff always rebulit us a new fire. The bathroom is beautiful - I have never been in a cooper tub with a wave form bottom! I loved the porch with the outdoor shower - perfect after a hike. In response to another writer who said the "hum" of laundry room bothered them - it was not an issue at all. I am all about silence and hate mechanical noises/hums etc. However, I never noticed it. The forest makes its own sounds.

I absolutely loved the trails - so easy to get on, well kept, and all different levels. Some are on their own land and some are in the national park. Never having to get back in the car was wonderful. I thought the hiking stick they gave me was a really great touch.

I loved the sunday brunch - wow. The rest of the food was good but nowhere near the sunday level. In fact, that was my only complaint - I thought all the meals would be as amazing/gourmet/locavore friendly as sunday's meal. I think that is really the only place this resort could stand to improve just a bit (and clearly they are capable of it).

I would definately go again. I felt like we were in our own little world on top of the biggest mountain around - the ultimate in relaxation.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

Amazing views, awake to the clouds appearing to be below you. The Swag Resort is an exceptional place to relax, hike and enjoy wonderful food in the smoky mountains. Our room had a great fireplace, private porch and steam shower that we truly enjoyed.

The staff made us feel as if we were part of the family in for a long weekend. We so agreed with Deener (the owner) who said she had a seven-month house party. She and her staff makes everyone feel as if they are close neighbors.

The hiking was fantastic and challenging for this 50ish in fair shape!

I can not think of one thing I would change..

Reviewed August 21, 2010

We stayed for three nights in The Bishop's Room. I highly recommend the room; it's at the end of the hallway in a corner and has a small balcony with a spectacular view. The room is spacious and beautifully furnished with individually selected pieces that are appropriate for the location. The quilt on the bed is a work of art! The room includes a nice sitting area with a wood-burning fireplace. The closet and bathroom are small, but the view from the whirlpool tub must be one of the best anywhere. (The shower is separate.) The WiFi is fast. There is also satellite radio in the rooms, which we did not use.

The dining room serves an awesome breakfast buffet, including made-to-order dishes and fresh, homemade baked goods. Dinner is served here as well. The view from the dining room is unbelievable. Given the remote location and small number of guests, it is not surprising that dinner menus are somewhat limited. (Selections are made in the morning, before leaving for the day.) The dinner portions seemed on the small side after an active day. The kitchen also supplies an excellent picnic lunch to take on hikes, along with backpacks, water bottles and walking sticks.

The owners and the staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly. They are anxious to offer advice on local hiking trails and sights. When planning your stay, keep in mind that The Swag is very remote. For example, making a day trip into the main portion of Great Smoky Mountains National Park for a long hike is a challenge. Missing the world-class breakfast is out of the question, and dinner always starts at 7:00 p.m. (Appetizers are offered before dinner.) However, there are many enjoyable hikes that start right from the property, and the inn has its own pond, hot tub and other amenities. You will also want to reserve time to sit on the patio and absorb the views!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We stayed in the $750/night "Woodshed", which is adjacent to the Inn's main laundry facility. From 8AM until 4PM daily, we heard an obtrusive rumbling that disallowed us from enjoying the beautiful porch and scenery. Even in the bedroom, the noise was overwhelming. Also of note, The Swag's county receives the most precipitation in the US east of the Mississippi River. With no Air Conditioning in the rooms, the air was damp and made for very sweaty sleeping at night. When feedback was given to a staff member, I was ignored. I recommend if you want to sweat when you sleep and hear plenty of noise, go stay in a cheap hotel in NYC.

16  Thank laldavis
Reviewed July 13, 2010

I have been going to The Swag for almost 18 years, and it just gets better every year.

Yes, it is expensive. However, I really believe it is worth it. Each room has its own unique decorum, and every year it seems that there are updates and upgrades to the rooms. Sometimes just something small, and other times it's "Wow, look at this!"

Needless to say, the location (at 5,000 feet) is both spectacular and comfortable (cool!).

We like to hike, and there are many trails to select from ("easy" to "you've got to be kidding"). However, when it rains..... that is a treat too, since it signals it's time to grab a book and sit on the covered porch and enjoy the rain (or on your private balcony if you room is so equipped).

The food.... it's always a treat. From the buffet breakfasts to the yummy light sandwiches for lunch, and the really nice dinner selection. Oh, and don't forget the fresh-baked cookies at 3:30 each afternoon!

Finally, Deener and Dan really make The Swag what it is..... a special retreat where you always feel welcomed and where your comfort is assured.

My wife and I are huge fans...... We already have our dates booked for 2011.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2010

The serene environment is so welcoming you can't help but relax as soon as you get out of your vehicle.

When you arrive there is a huge collection of walking sticks of all shapes/sizes/textures for you to pick one and label it with a custom label you are given from the front desk. That was so much fun as you make good use of it to tour the many hiking trails and the beautiful Smoky Mountain Park. It is your souvenier to take home when you leave, and each year you come back you can add a walking stick label for that year or get a new stick.

Our accomodations were perfect, the room comfortable, clean, quiet, can't say enough good things.

Chef Brian made some remarkable dishes throughout our stay and our steaks were cut with a butter knife!

Warm cookies and nuts at 3pm after return from a long hike. The water bottles were filled and chilled all day long for you to help yourself. (Stainless NOT plastic)

The staff went out of their way anticipating our every need before we asked. The owners joined in events and circulated to visit with guests/old friends. The band was enjoyable for the Fourth of July event...and the chef made absolutely everything taste delicious.

So very glad we found this wonderful treat and were able to be part of it for 3 days. Can't wait to return and to hear about our friends visits!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waynesville
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
#7 of 19 in Waynesville
Brookside Mountain Mist Inn
Brookside Mountain Mist Inn
#3 of 19 in Waynesville

Been to The Swag? Share your experiences!