“Great Food and Service”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stopped here for lunch. We ordered the two lunch specials. The food was excellent and the service was excellent. Their menu is varied, with sandwiches and main course entrees. We will be going back when we are visiting the NC mountains.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband and I had lunch on Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend. What a great place and the food is AMAZING!!! We sat by the windows with a mock balcony overlooking the street.
To start out we ordered the Fire Roasted Jalapeno and Smoked Chicken Spring Rolls, they were DELICIOUS!!!! I had the Sweet Onion Chicken Parmesan and he had Blackened Catfish. We had read the reviews and it was everything that the reviews said and more. Be sure to visit the one for sure when your in Waynesville.

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

The Sweet Onion is a nice restaurant on a side street off Main Street in downtown Waynesville. The menu is varied, ranging from sandwiches to steak dinners. I had the grilled chicken salad sandwich which was excellent. The serving was so generous, I could only eat half. The side dish special was fried Brussels sprouts with cheese sauce. It didn't sound all that good to me but I decided to be brave and try it. They were excellent and I would order again!

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Ate dinner here on Memorial Day Monday, when few other restaurants were open in downtown Waynesville. Everyone on the staff was very friendly. We like the decor: warm crimson walls, low lighting for a more intimate dining experience. My wife and I both had the pan-seared pink rainbow trout with a creamy fresh herb & garlic lemon butter sauce. We had eaten trout earlier in our trip in Bryson City, and this trout was so much fresher and tastier. The fresh trout flavor was not overpowered by extra seasonings or add-ons, just right. House salad was excellent, included pecans, cranberries, and house-made dressings (recommend sweet onion and lemongrass vinaigrette). Home-made, warm cheese biscuits complemented the salad. Only complaint is that the selection of side dishes was not very interesting for me. For dessert, we ate Granny Smith apple crisp, with ice cream, that was not over-sugared and had a crunchy, oaty texture. I would gladly go there again to try their other offerings.

1  Thank Frugal_Traveller
Reviewed June 6, 2014

On our second evening in Waynesville we ate at The Sweet Onion. Our "wonder woman" waitress was great. Good value for money and generous portions. I would recommend the sashimi tuna and crab cakes. And ask for the lemongrass house dressing if you order a salad.