“Don't expect 'sweet' service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Sweet Onion

The Sweet Onion
Ranked #3 of 117 Restaurants in Waynesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
NC USA
“Don't expect 'sweet' service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have eaten at the Sweet Onion several times over the years; Never have been a fan. But this Saturday our experience was soo bad I had to review it. We wanted to take our visitors out for a nice meal and decided to give Sweet Onion a chance. Bad Idea. We got reservations for 4 because our friends were driving in from out of town and did not want to have to wait for a table once they arrived. All seemed to start out well. We were promptly seated. As we all were famished we quickly ordered our food (instead of drinks). One person in our party ordered 2 appetizers and a salad for her meal. After a "good"(?) wait we got our complementary biscuits... after they were all gone the appetizers arrived BUT one had to be returned as the cook had ignored the instructions to not use the peanut sauce(allergic reaction made this necessary). The 2 appetizers were delicious and gone in moments. The salads followed (good quality) BUT AFTER A FULL HOUR I HAD TO HAIL OUR WAITRESS TO ASK ABOUT OUR ENTREES. We were told that they were be plated. 15 minutes later 3 or them arrived. My husband had ordered the casserole side which was a special that evening. It never came. WHEN he later ASKED the SERVER he was told they had run out of it! Shouldn't we have told and given the opportunity to order something else? Finally the 4th item arrived (grilled fish fillet on a bed of lettuce)... the fish was hard as rubber like it had been sitting under the heat lamps for quite awhile. UNEATABLE. It was returned to the kitchen. Only then the the waitress say that there were two large groups that had put their orders in before ours. Really? Does that mean that other tables are to be ignored?! Two of the entrees were the Bison special of the evening. Mine was full of gristle (very unpalatable) even though the sauce was quite tasty. Only a third of it was eatable.
The manager came over and offered to comp out the items we had not received and 2 of the appetizers. When the checks came ours had no discount on it whatever. I left angry and do not desire to ever go back. I have worked in the restaurant business(managed a 5 star dining room staff) and a saw that there was very poor communication between the front staff and the kitchen and confusion among the food runners. We live in Waynesville and there are several fine restaurants to go to where the food is fine and the service quite satisfactory. My advise, "Avoid the Sweet Onion."

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank tomandlindaNcUsa

Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Hit or Miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I've eaten at The Sweet Onion many times because it is ONE of very few slim pickings for local eats in Waynesville. If you want really amazing food, take the drive to Asheville. The Sweet Onion has proven to be a hit or miss kind of place. Once in a while the food is amazing--and then it's average and then it's kind of not great at all. Consistency seems to be a real problem. The shrimp and grits are kind of thick and without much flavor. The country fried steak with gravy is good sometimes and lacking other times. The gravy is always different but mostly tastes like it is from a package. Service is usually friendly and the atmosphere is nice for the area. I just wish the food was more consistent. I haven't eaten here in a while just because if I am paying a bit more money for good food then I expect good food.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank anchors1775
Waynesville, North Carolina
“Locals NOT welcome”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Born and raised in Waynesville along with all of my friends who visited Sweet Onion last night for dinner. There was going to be a party of 6 and when we requested a table we were greeted by the owner, Jenny, she informed us they were very busy and we needed to "come back when the season was over". Instead of simply saying "we are reservation only" she treated us like we were unwelcome to dine in her establishment. I've personally eaten at Sweet Onion multiple times and believe in supporting local business. Unfortunately I will NEVER be back. If you can't appreciate your local patrons why are you in business.

• Visited November 2013
8 Thank Megan A
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great place for Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I had dinner here while visiting Waynesville in October. We could not get reservations same day, so we went anyway to see how long the wait would be. We managed to get a seat at the bar and ordered drinks and an appetizer while we waited to be seated, which worked out perfectly. My husband loves tuna, and although it would have not been my first choice, we ordered the tuna and crab nachos. Wow, it was the best thing we ate! I was glad I tried something outside the box. There was lots of meat on the fried wonton "nachos" and a great Asian type sauce that just made it work. After that, I decided I had to try the crab cakes, which were very meaty and good. I also had the scalloped potatoes, which were very good and the broccoli rabe which I didn't care for. My husband had the flat iron special which he said was good, but not over-the-top.

The atmosphere is nice. I like having quality food in a more casual environment and this worked well. I would go back if in the area again. Especially if they still have the nachos.

• Visited October 2013
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Spent the day in Waynesville and popped in here for lunch. Good choice. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. When having to choose a side I asked about the fried okra and the waitress was very honest and suggested something else. Choose the collard greens, and as a Southerner by birth, I can tell you they were wonderful! French Onion soup was vey good, as was the chicken salad sandwich. Right off Main St., ample parking. Dinner menu looked good and would not hesitate to revisit this place. Full bar available, as well.

Visited October 2013