“Return visit very good except ...”
Review of The Sweet Onion

The Sweet Onion
Ranked #3 of 119 Restaurants in Waynesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Clemson, South Carolina
“Return visit very good except ...”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We had dinner at the Sweet Onion tonight after being away about 18 months. Their high standards seem to still be in place. My wife had the short ribs burger with blue cheese and it was very flavorful and tender. I had the trout and it was very good. Our server jess was very good. We told her we were in a hurry and she handled that well. Our meal was delivered promptly and the ice tea never got very low. She was knowledgeable about the food and answered questions cheerfully.

We were seated in front of the kitchen and on the way from the front door to many of the tables. It was noisy but it gave me an opportunity to watch. At one point a staff person (not our server) opened a cabinet and a set of lids for to-go cups fell on the floor. The person picked them up and put them back in the cabinet. From their floor to your mouth. I hope other habits like in the kitchen follow better practices but it makes you wonder.

• Visited October 2013

Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Consistantly Wonderful”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Ok, so I've been back several times since the last review I wrote of The Sweet Onion in 2009. A few times with friends, a couple of times alone. Wow! I've had something different each time. Every time the food, appetizer and main course, has been nothing short of excellent. Plus the service is great and I love the atmosphere. You won't be disappointed. Oh, and I would say it's a great place for a romantic Anniversary dinner. I would make the 2 1/2 hour drive for it.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Ribs with a twist”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I had the pork spare ribs which were excellent, my wife enjoyed the crab crusted salmon which was also excellent. Service was good and the wine list reasonably priced with single glass selections available. They DON'T take Amex - how old fashioned.

Visited October 2013
Bluffton, South Carolina
“I was not impressed”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I thought I would finally give this place a shot. I ordered southern fried okra with country fried steak. First the Okra was something from a freezer, not freshly fried. The country fried steak was so tough it was a joke at best. I may go back and order something different..

Melbourne, Florida
“Good overall restaurant”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

One of the few more up-scale restaurants in Waynesville that's not overly priced. Good food, wine list and service. Highly recommended.