“Good food and attentive staff”
Review of The Sweet Onion

The Sweet Onion
Ranked #3 of 121 Restaurants in Waynesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Att for the second time here. Food is very good though my wide had to send back the chicken at first. Nice atmosphere would return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I having been eating at The Sweet Onion for many years. It was always one of our favorite restaurants in Waynesville NC. I am sad to report that this restaurant is no longer what it once was. We have had two very poor meals there in the last 4 months. The restaurant appears well worn and tired. The restaurant is dirty ....food crumbs under the tables (was at the beginning of the dinner hour with plenty of time to clean up from the lunch crowd), the servers shirts were stained with food, the salt and peppers shakers were dirty. The restaurant needs a serious deep cleaning. Who knows what the kitchen looks like?? Our meal took 45 minutes to be served after the salad. Their excuse was that orders came in too fast. The food arrived lukewarm, bland, and poorly presented. My grilled shrimp was tasteless and rubbery and my husband's chicken fried steak was too thick and tough. The sides were bland and tasteless. I don't know if the restaurant has new ownership but something has drastically changed. We will not return. I will miss the old Sweet Onion.

3  Thank Mary D
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were initially hesitant to go to the Sweet Onion given some of the online descriptions. We are glad we ended up there for lunch. The space is good, the staff attentive and the food was very good. We had excellent sandwiches and a good bottle of wine. The pulled pork sandwich and the Sweet Onion chicken parmesan sandwich were flavorful and filling. We will be back to try dinner the next time we are up in this area of western North Carolina.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Nice atmosphere, very good food, nice street views. I had the salmon special. A pleasurable experience.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We tried a late lunch at this highly publicized resort town restaurant. Although uncrowded, service was pleasant but SLOW. The chicken salad was bland and on the sweet side. Pork barbecue was smoky, well-seasoned and quite good. The atmosphere was first rate but we got the impression we were interfering with a private day off for the staff.