“Good food but a little pricey”
Review of The Sweet Onion

The Sweet Onion
Ranked #2 of 123 Restaurants in Waynesville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This restaurant is good and the food is good, but I feel a little on the pricey side. It is usually a good place to go for a special meal to celebrate, but I wouldn't go there on a regular basis because of the cost. Also, when you have a larger group, the sound is pretty noisey.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed October 22, 2012

After being treated poorly at a popular restaurant around the corner, we found our way to Sweet Onion. It was a little busy and we had to wait awhile, but the hostess offered to get us drinks from the bar and a menu to look over. Once seated, we were treated by a charming server , warm garlic and cheese biscuits (complimentary) and a nice wine list. The onion soup came highly recommended and it was good, but not something I would go back for. However, since we were in the south, we had to have the Shrimp and Grits which were wonderful. To finish the evening, we had the creme brûlée and it was fab too. The menu also offered wiener schnitzel , and bacon wrapped meatloaf , both which you don't see very often. I'm sure they are good as well. The staff was very kind, the ambiance quaint and the Sweet Onion is located right in the heart of Historic Waynesville. Make this a definite stop.

1  Thank TravelQueenSRQ
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was our second visit to Waynesville, and we have now eaten at The Sweet Onion 4 times. I consider it a can't miss! And be sure to get the sweet potato...it actually tastes like a desert!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This was my 2nd visit and I was just as impressed as the 1st. We had terrific service at the bar courtesy of Jill. The cheese garlic biscuits are warm and oh so good (complimentary). I had the mussels but first time I've had them in a red sauce and I wasn't disappointed. It came with delicious toasted bread. The man & mother in law had smoked chicken Cobb salads...mmmmm would highly recommend. My pops had the tuna sashimi app which he enjoyed. Worth the drive.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

upscale but relaxed atmosphere. very good service. interesting specials. will go again. spent about $30 pp
including wine and tip.