“Worth a try”

Add it.
A Taste of New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Contrary to the reviews I had read for this "new" restaurant, we enjoyed a quiet breakfast at this quaint little spot this morning. I had the crepes with chocolate and the cinnamon on top of the whipped cream was a welcomed surprise that when mixed with the chocolate actually created a very nice flavor.

Yes, the servers have alot to learn and yes the food is probably not up to the five-star quality of New Orleans finest. This is, however, Waynesville, NC. After all, the service and food at the local McDonald's are sometimes more than questionable, but, yet, the line to get in still stretches on to Russ Avenue; seven days a week.

Looking forward to giving them a chance to entertain us with dinner.

Was skeptical myself, but truly enjoyed my breakfast.

1  Thank Bucketlist705

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Having moved to Western North Carolina from Southern Louisiana, I am not necessarily biased in favor of Louisiana cooking, since there are only a few dishes I like. My husband, a Louisiana native, and I looked forward to the opening of A Taste of New Orleans so that we would have a place in the mountains where we could enjoy "home cooking." Our first visit, for lunch, was a success. Yes, they were experiencing growing pains for it was only their second day, but the shrimp and grits was very good and my husband enjoyed his fried catfish po'boy, which he said was excellent. We couldn't accompany our meal with a beer (or wine) because the restaurant did not yet have its liquor license which the owner assured us they would have the next day. The only disappointment we experienced was the beignets--which were nothing like NOLA beignets, and that the service was slow, which we chalked up to growing pains.

The following night we returned with our son, daughter-in-law, and their two young daughters. We were all hungry and looking forward to some good Louisiana-style food. We started off with the hot crab dip, which was spicy-hot, not just heated, and was more a pimiento cheese dip with a trace of crab. A small trace. My daughter-in-law ordered the popcorn shrimp, our son ordered the fried catfish po'boy on his father's recommendation with a side of macaroni and cheese, one granddaughter ordered black beans and rice, the other ordered a grilled cheese sandwich, my husband ordered the shrimp and grits which he'd already tasted the day before, and I ordered cream cheese crepes which were on the breakfast menu but listed as "available all day." We couldn't order a New Orleans Abita Beer, because the restaurant still didn't have its liquor license.

Shortly after placing our order, the waitress returned with an I'm-sorry-but: crepes are only available for breakfast. I ordered macaroni and cheese instead. About ten minutes letter, I'm sorry but: we're out of shrimp. My daughter-in-law ordered blackened catfish with dirty rice; my husband ordered seafood gumbo. Ten-or-so minutes later, I'm-sorry-but: we're out of macaroni and cheese. Our son ordered cajun potatoes; my husband told the waitress to ask the kitchen to make an exception and prepare crepes for dinner (which she did, and they acquiesced).

The food came out in dribs and drabs, that is, I was served the crepes, and about ten minutes later someone else's food was served, in another five minutes two people were served, and (hard to believe) the by-this-time-tired children waited another ten minutes for their food. The dirty rice and the blackened catfish were both too salty; the blackened catfish was not blackened; the catfish in the po'boy was not breaded, was in small pieces, and appeared to have been grilled, not fried; the crepes were overloaded with whipped cream and cinnamon, but overly dry and tasteless (except for the cinnamon which wasn't mentioned on the menu); the black beans and rice were too spicy for my granddaughter to eat, although there was no warning or description of any kind on the menu; both the seafood gumbo and the cajun potatoes were okay; and the grilled cheese sandwich lived up to expectations although half landed on the floor (not the restaurant's fault). No one asked for a box for their leftovers.

The waitress apologized repeatedly for all the problems, but when our son paid he mentioned them to the woman at the register (who may have been one of the principals of the restaurant) and she was disinterested, informing him that some of the cooks were just learning. Excuse me? Just learning at OUR expense?

A Taste of New Orleans offers a limited menu, inadequate in its descriptions of its dishes and the ingredients therein. The wait staff is far from professional, and the whole operation is, at best, amateurish. We were so looking forward to this restaurant's opening, and we were so utterly disappointed. Obviously we won't be going back.

3  Thank BobEtier
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stopped by on opening night, but decided to leave when we met a couple coming out who had been waiting an hour and a half and still had not been served. So we tried again on the sixth day they've been open. Not a good experience. Very inexperienced waitress; seemed ill-at-ease. Could not remember who ordered what (there were four of us); failed to bring salad dressing with salads; stood in one spot and had us pass plates to one another...really poor serving skills. Menu listed beer and wine, but we were told it was not yet available. Food was mediocre at best...nothing tasted like Cajun or Creole food...shrimp and grits were okay, but shrimp were very small; jambalaya appeared to have hot dog rounds in it and had very little spice; shrimp po boy came on a cold roll and was served with a wedge of tomato (like the ones in the salad)...there appeared to be very little concern for preparation/appearance. It took 35 minutes for the first order to arrive and another ten for the second ticket (and we were one of two tables in the place at the time.) Waitress brought our checks almost immediately after delivering the food. We all left food on our plates, but the hostess seemed oblivious when she came over just as we were finishing and proclaimed "Excellent!" They seemed really eager to get the table cleaned off. If this is the best this establishment has to offer, they probably won't be here by summer as word gets around quickly here. We certainly can't recommend this place and won't be returning.

1  Thank GeorgiaPhotographer