“Recommended”

Ranked #5 of 121 Restaurants in Waynesville
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: "What great seafood!" We hear that all of the time and we are thankful to our diners. Great seafood in the Great Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina just a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Come join us at our new location just off of the Great Smoky Mountain Expressway (US Hwy 23) and see what everyone is talking about. From our full bar including beer and wine to appetizers, delicious entrees, and our house-made desserts, we are proud to serve you with our courteous wait staff in comfortable dining. We serve weekday lunch specials, and our full menu every evening and weekends with a special Sunday brunch.
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I just came back from my second trip to Waynesville this year. Our first visit, we went driving around looking for a local place to eat. After driving by a steak place, a BBQ place, another seafood place and some mexican restaurants, we saw Maggie's Galley sitting off of the road. It looked like an OLD log cabin shack (looks that way... because that was what it is!) But, the parking lot, and the lot for the pharmacy next store was completely full. I told my wife that, with a building that looks like that, and it being as crowded as it was, it HAD to be good. We were not disappointed. Started off with a fried gator appetizer. This was the only thing (in 2 visits) I was disappointed in. It was tough and chewy, with several pieces absolutely inedible. After that, we had some seafood chowder. This was VERY good. My entree was a blackened NC trout. It was VERY good. My wife went for the fried trout, which I found ok. She liked my blackened trout better as well. We finished off the meal with a Godiva chocolate cheesecake, which was great.

Our second trip, last week, our orders were similar. I tried their bisque soup this time, which I liked very much (maybe a bit more than the chowder). I stuck with the blackened trout again, and my wife ordered a fried shrimp and catfish platter. Again, everything was very good.

This will continue to be a must stop dining location any time I'm in the Waynesville area.

1  Thank bobbysbackup

Reviewed August 6, 2010

My wife and I dined at Maggie's Galley July 28, 2010. It was highly recommended by others. Upon finally finding the place (as it sits well back off the main road behind a modern new pharmacy) we were taken aback by its appearance which many have described as rustic. Being a southerner by birth, I am accustomed to seeing buildings like this deep in the country - the place looks like a sharecroppers shack. No exaggeration. The screen door is torn, the tin roof is rusty, it just looks delapidated. Once inside it doesn't get any better but at least it's clean. Believe me, EVERY expense was spared to decorate the place.

As for the food, the menu is extensive but it's reach seems to exceed its grasp. Crab cakes were inedible glop that tasted terrible. The twice baked potato seemed like it was of the frozen variety with not much taste. the cole slaw was to coarse for our taste.

On the positive side, the seafood gumbo was delightful - full of baby shrimp, fish, and vegetables. Fried flounder was cooked perfectly as were fried shrimp. Service was good and unobtrusive.

Given the money they save on decor, lighting, and amenities, one would think their prices would be a little more reasonable.

Reviewed August 5, 2010

Our daughter-in-law turned 21 while we were vacationing in the area. She wanted crab legs. So after some searching, we found Maggie's Galley. We arrived about an hour before closing time, so the waitress arranged for us to have the rest of the pot of crab legs. Should have seen my daughter-in-law's eyes when she saw all that crab! They were some of the best we've ever had. Our son had sirloin steak which he thought was wonderful. The atmosphere was really different. As the other reviews stated, it's several old cabins attached together. The low ceiling, dim lighting and old cabin interiors give a sense of dining in the Smokys, old style. At first our waitress seemed a little distracted but soon warmed up to us. It was at the end of her day and she was probably ready to go home. We will go back when we're in the area.

Reviewed September 20, 2009

I eat here often, even tho I am picky about seafood since I also live in the Florida Keys.
This is a great place for oysters--that's what I usually order. Last night I made the mistake of ordering the baked shrimp with seafood stuffing. The stuffing was inedible-- not baked and had a horrible dill sauce all over it. I ended up scraping all that off the shrimp and eating just the shrimp. I will go back again but I will avoid the dishes with stuffing and sauces--probably stick to just oysters. My bill came to a little over $24--$14 for the shrimp (with choice of 2 sides) + 2 glasses of Biltmore Chardonney Sur de lis.
(Parking onsite is tight--it is OK to park across the street in the pharmacy parking lot--I always park in the back of the lot so as not to take up pharmacy customer parking spots.) I like to have oysters in the cozy bar area but smoking is allowed there so I usually go in the afternoon before it gets busy. Once smoking is no longer permitted early next year this will be a favorite place to pop in, have a beer and some oysters.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

We had dinner here and were seated in an outside covered area which was great as it was a beautiful evening. Be sure to try the chower soup as it is great. We had oysters and a couple different types of shrimp for our dinners. All three were good, however I would stay away from the twice baked potato and go for simply veggies. The service was excellent and we would try this place again.

1  Thank AR-Doodad