“First visit wonderful, second visit very disappointing”

Maggie's Galley Oyster Bar
Ranked #5 of 119 Restaurants in Waynesville
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: "What great seafood!" We hear that all of the time and we are thankful to our diners. Great seafood in the Great Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina just a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Come join us at our new location just off of the Great Smoky Mountain Expressway (US Hwy 23) and see what everyone is talking about. From our full bar including beer and wine to appetizers, delicious entrees, and our house-made desserts, we are proud to serve you with our courteous wait staff in comfortable dining. We serve weekday lunch specials, and our full menu every evening and weekends with a special Sunday brunch.
Sylva, North Carolina
“First visit wonderful, second visit very disappointing”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We were excited for the restaurant to reopen and the first visit was worth the wait. The food was great and the young wait staff member that we had was just charming. We went back this evening and were very disappointed. We arrived early when there were plenty of empty tables and they seated us in the room where the staff were taking their breaks, gossiping, and rolling silverware. Ok events all, but just not what I had in mind for my evening out!

Our server, Sheree (I think), was great, but the kitchen and computer service challenged her throughout our meal. The coffee was cold. The food arrived almost on top of the salads, and more importantly the quality of the food was noticeably different from last week. The catfish appetizer was about 2/3 breading The seafood gumbo that we so enjoyed last week was just BAD! So bad, that some of our party were ill on the way home. When I called to complain and suggest that they check the gumbo all I got was, "I'll tell the kitchen." No apology or concern was evidenced by the manager on duty.
Maggie's was full to the brim this evening so maybe they don't need to be concerned about my complaints, but it will be a while before I return.

2 Thank sisteridge

canton North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“worst experience ever and i work at two restaurant's!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Went here last night( 9-24) slowest service ever...food was cold after waiting an hour and a half on it. They forgot my son's simple side of fries. Did not offer any comp( your servers need to learn customer courtesy), I work at two restaurant's in waynesville and will let everyone know how my experience went. If you guys want to succeed I recommend a new kitchen staff and wait staff-! I couldn't imagine regular people( ppl not in f&b industry)thoughts. Three tables close by were very mad. Our server had obviously not waited tables long...and I can manage that but our overall experience was horrible! Will not be back and will let locals know.

1 Thank Amanda P
“Times have changed”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The raw oysters were very fresh although they only had one choice on the menu. The seafood chowder has completely changed from their previous chowder. For an entree I ordered the seafood platter. The fried clans came strait out Of a bag. The grilled shrimp were VERY overlooked and had no seasoning. The flounder was watery and also had no flavor. Thank goodness I brought my own hot sauce from home. The twiced baked potatoe was also not made in house. The highlight was the collard greens.

The service was way below par. The bartender completely ignored my party for more than 5 minutes and seemed put out to bring us bottled beer.

Our server once we made it to our table was great. She was friendly and acknowledged that it was taking forever and tried to crack jokes. She was the only highlight of the evening. Ask for Deanna if you dare to venture to this establishment.

1 Thank HungryInWaynesville
Waynesville, NC
“New Place, Same Great Seafood”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Well, the new Maggie's Galley finally opened up this past weekend, and I went for a visit on Monday. I miss the old log cabin ambience, but the new place looks nice and clean. I ordered a combo plate of blackened flounder and shrimp, with a house salad and collard greens. Now no seafood restaurant around here does "blackened" the way it ought to be, but I've always enjoyed Maggie's take on it anyway. Blackened means heating your skillet (preferably cast iron) to a temperature that almost makes the bottom of the skillet begin turning red with heat, and frying the fish for two minutes on each side. Maggie's just plain fries the fish and puts cajun seasoning on one side, but darnit, I still like it. The two selection combo is $14.99, but it includes two sides. The portions are large enough to satisfy any hunger, so it's worth the price. I still think Maggie's has the best seafood in Haywood County, and would recommend it to anyone...local or visitor.

1 Thank ncmike1
“Still The Best In WNC”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Maggies Galley Reopened This Week And The Food Is Still Awesome.Their New Place Is Beautiful.It Was Well Worth The Wait.