“Elegant setting - top notch food”
Review of Anthony Wayne's Restaurant - CLOSED

Anthony Wayne's Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: At Anthony Wayne’s there’s something for the whole family. Come and be transported to a place where the traditions of the past and the innovations of the future blend to give you a memorable dining experience like no other in Western North Carolina.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We've eaten here twice now and had fantastic food both times and great service once. Actually, it wasn't that the service was bad from the waiter the last time we ate there, it was how someone from the kitchen acted towards us.

We recently took my wife's parents here for their anniversary. First off, they let us make a reservation on a day that they were closed and notified us the day before that it was an error made by a new employee. The manager went above and beyond trying to find a number to reach me to tell me this as my wife didn't leave a phone number. The manager actually looked through last years reservations and found my name and cell phone number that way. I was really impressed. Anyway, we changed the reservation to the following night and arrived at 7:30. Our waiter was fantastic. I wish I remembered his name, but he was great. Nothing went wrong with any orders - the food was outstanding - everything came when it was supposed to, and then it happened. Just as we were finished with dinner and considering dessert, a woman (dressed like a chef) came stomping from the back and made a big show of shutting the place down for the night. We were the only ones there at 9pm on a Thursday night and I am sure they wanted to get home, but I was spending almost $200 on dinner for 4 so they can wait. The waiter never rushed us and brought our desserts and coffee with no hint of rush in him. Meanwhile, the woman mentioned earlier was turning off lamps in the entry way and slamming the cash register and obviously acting annoyed that we were still there.

Because of this, I will not be back for a while. Which is a shame, because I really love the place. I think the food is the best you can get in a 100 mile radius and the atmosphere feels like a 50's or 60's jazz lounge. However, customer service is more important than all of these in my opinion. I can understand a Burger King employee getting huffy when there are stragglers in the dining room at closing time, we weren't stragglers and we weren't at Burger King.

That said, just eat well before closing so you don't anger the kitchen and you'll love this place! The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of this experience. Otherwise, it deserves 5.

1  Thank joshncate

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The food was excellent! But we were not able to enjoy it. Our waiter, Tom, kept talking our ears off. Other than that it was amazing. This is our second time being here. The first time we had Haley. If you go I would recommend her. She kept our drinks filled and got us out of there right on time for us to make it to the theater.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We live here in town and can highly recommend this restaurant on all levels. The ambiance of a historic building that has been lovingly restored, the capable and friendly staff and the wonderful preparations of food from the chef all contribute to a special experience every time we go there. My favorite place to be seated is one of 2 tables out front where I can see passer-bys wishing they were us! And the prices are reasonable too. What more can one ask for?

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is located in a former Masonic Lodge built in 1912. It has been totally renovated. I am sure it never looked this good in 1912. It is chef-owned and operated.

The dinner menu has great selections with creativity and variety. The prices are very good. (The pricing is between $$ and $$$) The food presentation is great also. The dining room and bar on the first floor are beautiful. The Ballroom on the second floor is a fantastic place for special functions. Very attentive service.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The food is always very good. They have interesting specials. We have never been disappointed in our food.