“The best meal in Waynesville”
Review of Anthony Wayne's Restaurant - CLOSED

Anthony Wayne's Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: At Anthony Wayne’s there’s something for the whole family. Come and be transported to a place where the traditions of the past and the innovations of the future blend to give you a memorable dining experience like no other in Western North Carolina.
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I have been looking for a great restaurant in the Waynesville, Maggie Valley area for many years since we have a summer home here. The usual recommended places, like J. Arthurs, have always disappointed. Last year, Frankie's Italian Restaurant opened in Maggie Valley. It's a great spot but very noisy, with spotty service. I gave up hope of finding another good place but then happened upon the beautifully restored Gateway Club in downtown Waynesville, where Anythony Wayne's serves a fantastic food at a great price with superb ambiance.

This old building where the restaurant is located was originally restored to be a private club, but when not enough memberships were sold, it was opened to the public. This is great for everyone since you can have the feel of being in a private club without the cost.

We had Sunday brunch and were seated in an impeccably decorated dining room with hardwood floors, beautiful draperies, and leather appointments throughout. The dining room tables all have linen tablecloths and comfortable fabric chairs. The first thing I liked was that the tables are not too close together. (It reminded me of the restaurants you see in movies but don't believe really exist.) The hostess and waiter were prompt, courteous and well-informed.

I had a delicious chicken pot pie and strawberry salad. With strawberries in season, the salad was one of the best I've ever had. It was mostly field greens with blue cheese, green apples, fresh strawberries, candied pecans and a blush wine vinaigrette. So light and delicious, and to die for. The pot pie was unlike anything I'd ever seen, and unbelievably mouthwatering. It was an open shell pastry filled with cooked fresh vegetables and tender pieces of white chicken in a very light sauce. The servings were just right and everything was prepared perfectly. Both my partner and I were amazed at how flavorful everything was and how little salt was needed. He had delicious Huevos Rancheros -- corn tortillas topped with refried beans, 2 sunny-side- up eggs, cheddar cheese, fresh Guacamole, salsa verde, Spanish rice and chorizo. He finished his plate in no time and loved every bite.

Not only was the food exceptional but for all the panache and attention to excellence you'd expect high prices. Not at all. My pot pie was only $11 and my partner's rancheros were $12. We had a fantastic lunch with drinks for under $30.

We can't wait to go back for dinner. Thursdays look especially promising since every week there is a wine-tasting with one of the premier sommeliers in North Carolina.

If you're ever in western North Carolina, treat yourself to a wonderful experience at Anthony Wayne's. This is a chef going somewhere!

2  Thank bplowe

Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is the one to go into to impress. What a beautiful place. A very sophisticated, modern interior contained in a stately old building. You'll want to make reservations for this one. It has a very good menu that should please most. Good variety of appetizers, salads, and entrees. As a fan of the cooking shows, I had been wanting to try flank steak. It seems so difficult to prepare properly. It was delicious. Wonderful taste and very tender. I don't know how they did that. Compared to the elegant setting and wonderful service, the prices are very reasonable. The food is presented as well as any fine dining establishment anywhere. Make this one that you go to while in Waynesville.

2  Thank rmathis00
Reviewed March 14, 2012

My husband and I have eaten here for Sunday brunch with friends on several occasions in the past few months. The special brunch menu varies a bit each time, but always has a number of unusual and intriguing choices. Everything we have ordered was exceptionally tasty, with generous portions. We have never made a reservation, and we have always been seated right away, but service has been rather slow. Perhaps it's because there are often one or two large groups there at the same time, or perhaps they are short-handed. Servers and management have been apologetic and attentive, but I would not recommend going there if you have to be somewhere by a certain time afterward. On one occasion we were there about 90 minutes or more, including a very long wait for our check after we had finished eating.

1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I made reservations here when I noticed Anthony Wayne's was not a private club. This is a recent development, but I had several good meals here while a visitor of Herren House. Diane and I visited Valentines day . The menu was special : Leg of Lamb, Grilled Halibut, Scallops, and Filet with Mushrooms. Diane and I both had Filet of beef which was cooked to perfection. Very nice waitress (Sunee) and wait staff. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and the experience.

Reviewed February 11, 2012

This was our second time to visit Anthony Wayne's, which is the former Gateway Club on Church Street, just one block off Main Street in Waynesville, NC. This time we went for Sunday brunch. My wife had Chicken and Waffles, a plate made famous, I think, at the Red Rooster Restaurant in Harlem. Along with the large portion of waffles and chicken was smoked bacon, and a side of syrup. I had the fried trout, which was excellent. We both had a glass of wine to accompany our brunch. Anthony Wayne's has a full bar, with a nice selection of wines and beers. The food pricing is very reasonable for such an upscale restaurant. The interior is very classy and comfortable, with a very relaxing atmosphere. The staff is extremely professional, friendly and accomodating. Each time we have eaten at Anthony Wayne's the food has been excellent and the dining experience wonderful. We will definitely return.

2  Thank gdt655