“Excellent food, prepared to your order”

Bourbon Barrel Beef & Ale
Ranked #10 of 124 Restaurants in Waynesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We serve regionally raised antibiotic and hormone-free beef, pork, and chicken. Many of our seasonal vegetables come from local farms,and our fresh fish (never frozen) is harvested from sustainable fisheries. Everything at the Bourbon Barrel is made from scratch.
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Bourbon Barrel is a lovely little restaurant located in the Hazlewood section of Waynesville. The atmosphere is charming, the staff is attentive, and the food is very good. Last night we brought our nephew who again ordered the steak and smashed potatoes and enjoyed every morsel. My husband again devoured the pork chop. Before we went I had gone on-line to look at the menu, and decided I'd have the vegetarian stuffed peppers which sounded yummy. When I got to the restaurant, I found that they no longer offered it, and decided on the vegetable stack. Our waitress informed us that one of the specials was a three-cheese ravioli with mushrooms and vegetables and would be replacing the veggie stack that night. So, of course, I ordered it, and it was wonderful. A delightful sauce and loads of crimini mushrooms accompanied the ravioli, and it was way more than I could eat in one or two or three sittings, so I was the only one taking a box home (I can't wait to dive into it!). One of the restaurant's regular appetizer offerings is a lobster cheesecake made with creamy goat cheese and seasonings. There are big chunks of lobster and the slice is generous--enough for the three of us. When we go to Bourbon Barrel, we expect the food to be excellent, and we've never been disappointed.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We make up special occasions to come here. The food and service are both excellent. The full service bar isn't huge, but it's friendly. When the restaurant is crowded it can be a little noisy, but the staff will work with you to seat you away from the mainstream diners. The food is consistently good and their menu should suit just about everyone. They also have a nice selection of wines, available by the glass or by the bottle.

Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The service from the host Karen who was sweet on the phone and running around to make sure no one would have to wait longer than need to our server Jacob who really explained everything- it couldn't have been better. The good was fresh and creative; almost more of an art form then just a meal. So wonderful- we were just passing through town and it's one of the best meals and priced at a great value!! So delicious!!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Great food, sound prices, great waitstaff!
I had the airline chicken...best chicken I have ever had. Recommend it, but I doubt you could go wrong with anything on their menu!
We will definitely be making the trip back from Tennessee!!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We live in Waynesville and have eaten here a number of times and the food is consistently good. However, this time we had not made a reservation but it was February so we thought we would see if they had a table and if they did not we would go elsewhere. When we got to the restaurant, the hostess indicated that they were booked up but encouraged us to eat in the bar. The hostess said the bartender would take good care of us. What a mistake this was!!!

We have eaten at the bar at a number of restaurants in Waynesville such as Tipping Point, Bogart's, Nick & Nate's and it has been fine. (For a really enjoyable experience, eat at the bar in Bogart's when April is working.) The bartender was inattentive and forgetful and everything took a long time. But what was horrible was that a group of loud partying people kept crowding more and more into the small bar space so by the time our food came we could not hear ourselves over the voices and people were standing almost touching us. The restaurant must have known this could happen since these people in the bar were regulars; they knew the bartender and the bartender knew their drink orders (he was more attentive to them than us). Our meal was miserable and we ate as quickly as we could to get out of there. We told the hostess and the manager (owner?) our issues on the way out and they just got defensive (it was our problem not their problem). So I will blast it out on trip advisor so others will be warned. DO NOT TRY TO EAT DINNER AT THE BAR!!! Although we like their food, it will take us a while to decide to go back. There are so many good choices in Waynesville.

2  Thank WaynesvilleTraveler
A O, Owner at Bourbon Barrel Beef & Ale, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

I am the owner and I spoke to you as you left on what was an extremely busy evening in the restaurant. I do not feel that I was in any way defensive. I allowed you to express yourself, and I did so while nodding my head in understanding you were unhappy.
Unfortunately, we are a very small establishment (65 seats). You yourself mentioned that you usually would make a reservation, and we highly recommend that. Our bartender, Tony, has a large following, and the bar can become crowded at times. We apologize if you felt like your service was not up to our usual standards. People that come in with no reservation are always directed towards any seats at the bar. It is up to the guest to choose to sit there. This is the first complaint that we have ever had about the experience at our bar. We have guests that wont sit anywhere other than the bar. It is totally a personal preference.