“Wednesday night bike night; what a joke!”
Review of Southsiders - CLOSED

Southsiders
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Wednesday night bike night; what a joke!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Went to "bike night" this Wed. 9/25/13; what a joke!
Primarily went because some awesome musician friends of ours were playing. The place was practically empty; I understood why when I interacted with the owner, who was tending bar; obviously the last place on earth he wanted to be tonight.
Forget about friendliness or personality, I gave up on that the first few minutes.....let's move on to the fact that I do not like to be cheated and/or overcharged.
I ordered a glass of wine, and Ken ordered a beer.
I asked the waitress later how much wine was, and she said $7.00. I went to the bar and ordered one more glass, since our tab was there.
When we got ready to pay our tab.....the owner charged Ken for 5 beers, Ken only had 4.
And, charged me $7.95 for my wine.
Ken explained, as did I, that he had only had 4 beers, and I told him that the waitress advised me that wine was $7.00. Do you think that mattered to him; not at all.
He did not seem to care if we, or anybody else, was there....or that we would never return.
I was not about to lower myself to his level by arguing with him...so we paid the tab...and swore never to return!

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank Patricia W
Mark K, Owner at Southsiders, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Ms. Patricia and her husband Ken came in on our last Bike & Blues Night. Yes the turn out was less than we expected though it probably was due to the pouring rain. They entered the restaurant and continued to leave and come back in at one point I witnessed Ken drinking from a little airplane bottle on the street underneath my sign he was clearly trying to hide it from me knowing what he was doing was wrong. When it came time to cash out it was clear in his Inebriate state caused by bring outside liquor to my restaurant, that he couldn't remember how many beverages he had had. Since I keep a tally at the bar, It was crystal clear to me. As far as Patricia goes I was pouring her her glasses of wine but she never asked me how much they were. She asked the waitress with out telling her what kind of wine she was drinking. With the liability issues this couple brings, I would not welcome them back and I would advise any bar or restaurant who knows them to do the same. If you read these postings you'll see I have little patience for people who try and get something for nothing who are rude or belligerent. or put my business in jeopardy as did Patricia and Ken. Here's what one of my customers posted on our Face Book Page:
Mr Mark. I wanted to extend my thanks for the WARM and GREAT treatment I have always received when I enter Southsiders Public House. The personal touch, great servers that smile, the killer food, and cold drinks. I always leave looking towards my next visit. Thank You

If you want to act like a middle age adolescent you can frequent the haunts of Ken & Patricia. Otherwise if you want to act like a responsible adult if you want to enjoy great food service and music then we welcome you at SouthSiders.
Regards,
Mark Kennedy

“Come for the music on Friday or Sat!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Decent food, good live music (especially on Friday & Sat.)

Good overall service...One of the owners named Patte can be rude (especially if she is drunk). Alcohol is a little pricey but they have Guiness on tap!

• Visited August 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't order the "MEAT"!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have eaten here twice, but this time was horrible. I can count on one hand how many times I have sent food back in my entire life, but I just had to this time.

Just as I did during my first visit, I ordered the Shepherd's Pie, but this time it was inedible! Almost EVERY piece of "beef" was filled with gristle. It is horrible to sit across from some one and HAVE to spit out piece after piece of gristle filled meat. The topping of mash potatoes was heavy with salt and the slurry of beef heavy with pepper, but the seasonings are a matter of taste. Unchewable meat is not!

After trying to eat about 1/4 of the dish I gave up since the waitress had finally reappeared. I told her the dish was INEDIBLE! She was very receptive and asked me what else I would like. Since I had been looking over the menu while I was waiting for the waitress to reappear and had found nothing. I figured that I had started with a small dinner salad so I would end with the same. I felt terrible sending food back especially since I had enjoyed that same dish during my first visit and mentioned that to the waitress who said "they" were looking into what had happened.

Unfortunately I had to leave before my dining partners so I made a point to state that I had only consumed two small dinner salads and some tea. I never thought a restaurant would charge for a meal that had been sent back with a plate filled with spat out meat which had obviously been chewed, but to my shock and surprise they did! They had the nerve to add my sent back meal to the bill. My dining partners were too quiet to make a fuss and paid MY bill! I feel terrible leaving them with my problem. NEEDLESS TO SAY I WILL NEVER BE BACK THERE AGAIN.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank heathersneste
Mark K, Owner at Southsiders, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We'd like to apologize for this. We do everything we can to make sure this dish is the best it can be. We start by using prime age beef slow cooked to be as tender as possible. Every once in a while we run in to a part of the roast that isn't what it should be. The waitress should have known better and should have come instantly to me and informed me of the problem. I aoplogize and your entire meal including the salad should have been removed from your ticket. I'm here 99.9% of the time and this should never have happened. I would hope that you would reconsider your closing statement. If you do provide us with the opportunity to serve you again please let me know and I will make sure that your experience is all and more than you expect. Again my sincere appologies.
Mark Kennedy
duke13rules
“Worst Service Ever”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was probably the worst service I've ever received at a restaurant. It took almost five minutes, after being seated, to be given menus. I order water for myself, my husband and my two year old daughter. Now I understand that this isn't necessarily a "kid restaurant" but the place was crawling with children, so I was VERY surprised when our waitress brought out a pint glass of water for my daughter. I spent the rest of the time trying to help her with the glass. Since we rarely saw our waitress, there wasn't a chance to ask for a different cup. After sitting there for over half an hour, the waitress came out to inform my husband that they were out of part of his meal. She offered to substitute it for something else but gave no suggestions for substitutions. We found this weird since we had placed our order quite a bit before this and they were just getting to our order? After FORTY-FIVE minutes, and my daughter asking and apparently being overhead by other waitresses that she was hungry, we received our food. No apologies for the delay or anything, just simply handed our food. When we were given our ticket, my husband noticed that the time stamp for when the order was placed was less than fifteen minutes prior to it being brought out, meaning our waitress didn't put the order in until we had been sitting there for over half an hour.
I would definitely NOT recommend this place.

• Visited March 2013
Weddington, NC
“Southsiders was excellent!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We had occasion to wander thru Waxhaw, and on an urge, we stopped by Southsiders for an early lunch. Waitress was excellent, service was excellent. We were first in on Valentine's Day, but didn't have to wait long for our soup, sandwiches and coffee. It was filling, the Cubana was done very well, cream chicken and rice soup was homemade and excellent. Perhaps we're just a couple of older fuddy-duddies, but we had no complaints AT ALL about this place... we will definitely do lunch again, and maybe get by for some music if we can stay awake all the way til 9 PM! Give it a try--they are doing a good job with fresh, homemade viands that will definitely satisfy those munchy cravings!

• Visited February 2013