“A hidden gem in Union County, NC”

JAARS Museum of the Alphabet
Ranked #2 of 7 things to do in Waxhaw
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A hidden gem in Union County, NC”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

South of Charlotte, near Waxhaw in rural Union County, is a hidden gem that is worth searching out. This free museum features colorful, interesting displays that detail the progress of written communication throughout history. Scattered throughout the rooms are interactive displays that will capture the attention of school age kids as well as adults. It's a good place for home schooling families. You can breeze through in 30 minutes, but to "see it all" you could easily spend a full day or more. On week days lunch is available for purchase across the street at the JAARS Center. (Large groups need to make reservations.)
I became familiar with this museum when I served on staff with JAARS. Now retired, I still take friends to visit when they are in the area.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank savvyseniors

Oregon
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing! Learned how much I didn't know about alphabets and languages.”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

It is I believe one of a kind museums that walks you through the ancient origins of alphabets and written language up to the current technological engagement of the same all over the world.

Waxhaw, North Carolina
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Better than the Smithsonian”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We had friends from out of state visit. They had just spent a week visiting the Smithsonian. We had one hour so we took them to the Alphabet Museum. Afterwards their comment was that this was better than the Smithsonian. So you know we work at the JAARS center where the Alphabet Museum is located so there is bias. I've been through the museum at least 10 times before I found that I had finally seen it all. They really pack a lot in a the building. This is THE how we got our writing system that we use and all the other people use. Special rooms for Hebrew, Greek, Arabic, Indian from India, Korean, Japanese and Chinese, Mayan, ... Music, ... just too many to list them all.
When you come in ask for the hour long tour. They put on a guided recording ... if you have longer then ask the tour guide your questions and be prepared to stay another hour. Do you know where we got "envelopes" from. That is answered in the first room.
Replica of Rosetta stone. How to date the Dead Sea Scrolls (you can do it yourself).
Did you know that the Hebrew language almost died out?
Check out the website so see some of the rooms. There is a coffee table book with pictures of the museum available.
It is easy to get lost so make sure you have good directions getting here or have a GPS. It is about 45minutes south of Charlotte NC. M-F you can eat noon meal at the JAARS center at a reasonable cost. You may find yourself sitting beside a Bible translator. The center also offers daily tours too. While you are here you may want to visit the Mexico Museum also. Find out about the special wedding dress.
I do work at the JAARS center but do not gain anything by someone visiting the center or museums.

Visited September 2011