“Fantastic Off-Season Kiting vacation”
Review of Watermen's Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waves
Watermen's Retreat
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I loved staying at Watermen's retreat Fall 2012 - my husband has been there in the past as well with kiting buddies. I'm a beginner kiter, and this was the perfect place to combine great comfort with excellent kiting. My husband loves Hatteras because he can go kite ocean side, and I can learn on the sound side. We stayed a week and loved having a full kitchen so we could cook healthy and not have to go out too much. Since it was off-season for Hatteras (but full-on season for kiters) we got a great deal for our stay. The little cafe/restaurant located there was really nice - a little limited and on the pricier side, but perfect when you could get half-price fish tacos after a long day on the water. Hatteras is an almost annual trip for my husband, and by staying at Watermen's, I definitely don't mind making it a regular vacation spot.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra to get the sound view!! Watching the sunsets every night on our balcony was tota...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Donna P, Manager at Watermen's Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Kerri,
We are glad you enjoyed your visit to Cape Hatteras, REAL Watersports and Watermen's Retreat. You need to head back this way again this season... new Watermen's Bar & Grill is on site... great full service menu (yes they have expanded and will have a large indoor seating area), plus daily specials, wine and beer and a new rum bar that will add to everyone's enjoyment! ~ donna

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I decided to treat my sister and my niece to a Spring Break 2013 vacation on the NC Outer Banks. Conducting research, I ran across the Web page for Watermen's Retreat in Waves, NC. I was encouraged by the positive reviews that I read on TripAdvisor. I booked a condo. OMG, what a wonderful experience! Donna Peele impressed us with her hospitality from our first encounter to our last. When my sister opened the door to our condo (Chimi House) for the first time, she stopped in her tracks with her hand over her mouth to muffle her gleeful scream. That was the second sign that I had chosen wisely. By the time that we had settled in, all doubt had been removed. First class accommodations. First class service. Beautiful waterfront view of Pamlico Sound. Convenient location on the Outer Banks. What more could we ask? Kudos to the staff. Thanks, Donna!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Ty, We loved having you, your sister and niece at Watermen's Retreat. Don't wait another 25 years to visit again! ~ donna

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for about one week in early April. It was a last minute trip and the team at Real (Amy and Donna) were able to fit us in for a midweek stay (Thursday to Wednesday). Accommodations were top notch and the staff are super friendly and helpful. We stayed in S-Turns which gives you a great view of the sunrise, but I would suggest trying to get the Sound side units for the sunset view. Only thing I would have liked to have during this somewhat colder time of the year is access to a hot tub to warm up after a kiting session. Other than this I would highly recommend staying at Watermans.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We traveled over Thanksgiving, after Sandy destoried the roads. Accomodations were fantastic and Donna went out of her way to make us feel welcome.

Kiteboarding lessons were top notch as well. Would absolutely come back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Donna P, Manager at Watermen's Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

I am glad you were able to make this trip and that you and your family enjoyed Watermen’s Retreat and the kiteboarding lessons at REAL Watersports.
Watermen’s is committed to making every client’s experience the best possible. Hurricane Sandy did cause some damage to the highway but we are looking for the road to be restored in the next couple of weeks and then the ferry will not be necessary. Currently they are allowing 4x4 vehicles to drive over the rough spots and they do have folks that will carry your car over the ½ mile and you can avoid the ferry ride all together.
We have some great travel packages available for the spring and we look forward to you visiting us again!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I can only repeat what everyone else has said, it is a great location and the staff were excellant. It does fell like THE premier kiting location in the US if not the world. The rooms were very clean and modern. It does not have the usual hotel imenitites such as pool or hot tub which was not what we were looking for and were not needed as we enjoyed the ocean beach. It is very centered on kiting and the school seems professional although we did not take lessons. Donna who runs the lodging operations is the best! We have viewed all the REAL kiting videos and it was fun to meet Matt Nuzzo in person, sort of the local celebrity. Kiting suggestions are take booties, just an occational shell or two and a big kite, we had low wind in October. Of course it is kiting and wind dependent. Even though the wind was a little off, we had lots to do and watch at the site and Haterass is beautiful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Watermen's retreat was the perfect spot for our family of 5. The apartment was very comfortable for our family. The kitchen is well equipped. We all enjoyed real water sports activities from kite boarding, surfing, stand up paddle and wake boarding.It was nice to wake up and just go to lesson down the stairs. Everyone was very friendly and helpful before and during our trip. The sunset from the apartment is wonderful! We will be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2012

If you are a kiteboarder, and you don't mind paying a premium price, you are going to get a premium experience. Absolutely perfect. The people are friendly, the rooms are immaculate, absolutely top notch, highest quality. Even the hinges on the drawers are made by Mercedes Benz. Granite countertops, just absolutely awesome. And that's not even the best part. It's right next to Real, you walk out your door and launch your kite! I mean, come on! This place is paradise for kiteboarders.

Room Tip: Water side rooms are definitely worth the extra price.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waves
The Inn on Pamlico Sound
Hatteras Island Inn Buxton
Lighthouse View Oceanfront Lodging

Been to Watermen's Retreat? Share your experiences!