We ended up renting this property because we were late to schedule a vacation this year and when we tried to find properties, there were very few that met all our requirements for a larger group of 13. On paper this property had everything we needed, but that wasn't the case in reality.
Let's start with the positive side. This property is beach front and right beside a wooden path that takes you over the dunes. That's good, especially if you don't like dragging your feet over 150 degree dune sand! It also has a decent sized swimming pool. The house layout is OK, though it shows way bigger in the pictures than in reality.
On the negative side:
- On day 1 when we arrived, the pool was full of sand and we found pieces of food floating in the pool (probably from previous renters). The realty company wanted to charge us for cleaning the pool since they said it had already been "cleaned".
- This property seems like it was built in the 80's or early 90's, and does not seem to have received any updates since then. It has very cheap, broken, and old furniture, bedding, and fixtures. It's way overdue for upgrades. You get the sense that the owner is doing nothing, or the very bare minimum, to maintain the home, and is falling behind on keeping the house usable.
- Our wifi didn't work for 2 1/2 days. We had to collectively call 5 times to get someone to come out and help us with it…not how we wanted to spend the first few days of our vacation. When the phone company technician showed up, he had to change all the phone sockets since they were all corroded (greenish-blueish inside) and they were daisy chained, so they were causing all sort of interference. Good news for the next renter- internet will work now. :)
-The TV in the top floor bedroom didn't work. And the water pressure up there in the bathroom was ridiculously low. If any other water is running in the house, you literally get just a trickle up there.
- We found cockroaches in the children's room with bunk beds, on the second floor stairs, and in the pool. It started on day 1, so was not due to anything we had done. When we reported it, the realty company sent a team to spray the whole house...with our family inside. I cannot imagine that being in bare feet and in a closed house with no windows open while poison that can kill cockroaches is being sprayed is healthy for children, let alone adults. When the pest control team was questioned about this, one of the crew said it was "fine" and not a health concern for us. They didn't even give us a chance to pick our shoes and things up, and simply sprayed around them, obviously getting the poison on our shoes and other person items around the perimeter of each room. We opened windows and scrambled to get our personal items out of the way and our shoes on. And did not feel comfortable being barefoot the rest of the time.
- This house had all sorts of electrical issues. The lights flickered the entire time we were there. And cycled between being so dim we could barely see and getting so intense that items in the house would randomly explode (NO JOKE). Scared the crap out of us. One fuse burned on the hot tub while we were there making it unusable for a day. The response was prompt to fix the hot tube fuse, though. Then, the converter used for the surround sound/tv blew up when we weren't even using it. We were having a game night at the kitchen table and heard a loud pop, and the smell of an electrical fire. It scared us, and we were nervous about going to bed that night because we were worried a fire could have started in the walls.
- The microwave didn't work properly. This could have been related to the house's electrical issues. Not sure.
- The coffee machines were super old and touchy to use. Quite a few pots with coffee grounds spilling in, water leaking under the machines, etc.
- The ice machine in the freezer didn't work either. Kind of important for a beach vacation with 90+ degree weather.
- Finally, the grill area was really, really dirty. Filthy, actually. People just dumped the used ashes all over. Beer bottles laying everywhere. Just gross. The home owner should provide a bin for dumping ashes at a minimum, and ideally clean that area up so that it's easier for people to use it and keep it clean.
All in all, for the money we spent, this was a big disappointment and we would recommend you steer clear of this property.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|