“Bait and Switch”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Washington
Silver Spring, United States
“Bait and Switch”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The rate was 45% higher at time of arrival versus when I booked online. At 12:30 am I had little choice but to stay the night. I cancelled my second night's reservation. The general manager changed the policy and will not honor Government Rates for personal travel. I was not informed in advance. I was casually asked the purpose of my trip (as in small talk), then told that my booked rate of $83 would not be honored. Instead I had to pay $120.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Baltimore, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We were just there in April and we enjoyed our stay there so much that when our church came back in May I suggested that we stay there. There wasn't any bad feed back When asked how did they like it the responsed was what is there not to like

Folsom, California
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The room for two nights was clean, but a bit musty (from humidity??). The employees were friendly and attentive. It is located right off the main HWY into the town and close to a few food options.....

Room Tip: Avoid the hot breakfast as the option is to microwave the egg dishes in the plastic wrapper
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed May 28, 2014

On my recent stay at the Hampton Inn Washington in NC, I was totally surprised at the knock on the door at 9 AM on day of checkout. The housekeeping lady on the other side asked me if I was preparing for checkout. She woke me up at 9 AM to make sure I was preparing for checkout at 11. When asked why she would wake me up at 9 when checkout was at 11 she said she was told to do that. I was not happy! I was only staying for one day. Was not able to arrive in Washington, NC until after 6 pm. Was SO looking forward to sleeping in!

Since I was now awake, I went downstairs for continental breakfast. I let the lady at the front desk know about my early wake-up knock. Let her know I'd stayed at Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden, Embassy Suites, and Hilton and many other hotels not associated with Hilton many times in the last 30 years and had never been contacted by phone or a knock on the door prior to check-out. She apologized.

After packing, I went back to the front desk. I was still very unhappy about the wake-up call and asked her might I be given some sort of compensation. She took $6.77 off the cost of my $128.54 one night stay. I guess that was better than nothing, but it seems to me I was the only one who felt it unacceptable to have paid for a room, adhered to the rules (check-in 3pm, check-out 11 am) and received the response I did.

5/26/2014 Beth (tired in Washington, NC)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Central City, Colorado
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Hotel was nicely appointed with a good, friendly staff. Beds fairly comfortable w/nice, fluffy pillows Though not used, fitness & pool areas looked nice. Internet worked well in room w/more than one device. Not a fan of their "hot breakfast" (pre-packaged items), but adequate w/all the other fresh "continental style" items including a waffle maker. Not sure what else Washington has to offer for hotels, but this one is newer & conveniently located.

Maryland
Reviewed May 16, 2014

The hotel room was clean and quite. The housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful so much that we left a tip for them.

The bad:
The breakfast we did not bother with because it look like processed food and not much to chose from.
The morning to afternoon staff was not friendly, but the evening to overnight staff was friendly.
The last day we were to stay at this hotel turned from okay to bad quickly. I booked the room under the AARP special which entitled us to late check out (2:00), so on the way to my room I decided to check to make sure the late check out was noted on my account. The front desk person looked at my account and told me it was not noted for late check out and she could give me 12:00pm. I told the front desk person I would go to my room and get my lap top. I arrived to my room to find the internet was no longer working, so I called downstairs and was told they had no idea why it was not working. I went to the lobby to use my computer and it still didn't work. I was never told there were computers behind where I was sitting. I ask to speak to the manager and the manager told me they were booked and needed the room and couldn't give me a 2:00 check out. I explained my family are suppose to meet us at the hotel at 2:00 that's why we needed the late check out. Well i went to the computers located in the lobby and notice my receipt did not have the late check out special listed, so i call customer service. The customer service department did find the 2:00 check out time, but told me it was based upon the hotel's needs. I walked back to the front desk and was told by the manager yes AARP members do get late check out on a need basis. The young lady at the front desk informed me that the manager looked the AARP guidelines up online prior to me coming back to the counter and also customer service had just called the hotel. All of a sudden the hotel became not full to capacity and I was given the 2:00 late check out. I went to my room disgusted and after talking with my family we decided to leave the hotel early and find somewhere else to meet up prior to us leaving.
The staff and manager made a simple situation turn into a major ordeal and also to lie and say the hotel was full and it wasn't made the situation even worse. There is no reason why it should have taken close to an hour to resolve this issue.
This was my first time staying at an Hampton Inn and it will probably be my last........

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed here on business for a week or so. I can tell you that this is the ONLY place in Washington NC to stay. The Hotel is clean, the rooms are comfortable and up to date, the staff is caring, and accommodating.

I have stayed in at least Hampton inns as a Diamond Member of Hilton on more Hampton Inn's than most, and I can say this Hotel is around a 95%........

I highly recommend this Hampton inn.

Room Tip: Stay in a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
1 Thank RCE E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Quality Inn
Econo Lodge North
Econo Lodge North
#6 of 7 in Washington
Holiday Inn Express Williamston

Been to Hampton Inn Washington? Share your experiences!