“Charged my card without notifying me!!!”

Hampton Inn Washington
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Washington
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a reservation by phone before arriving. At check-in, I stated my name and the attendant said all she needed was my credit card. She swiped and I signed a document that clearly stated I would be charged per day of our two day stay. The attendant wasn't very friendly but she was about her business and she completed our check- in promptly. However the next evening I happen to check my account to verify purchases and there was A CHARGE TO MY CARD THAT TOTALLED MORE THAN 3 DAYS FROM THIS HOTEL! I called the corporate office and the rep said that they could only see the charge after I checked out but to talk with the hotel where I'm staying to try and resolve the issue. The next and final night someone slid the invoice of only being charged for the 2 day stay even though my bank stated otherwise. So the final day before checkout I went to the hotels desk and asked to speak to the Mgr. but they wouldn't arrive until almost checkout so I asked the attendant whom I never spoke with before if she could explain the fee that I was charged that appeared to be a 3 day stay. She said that particular hotel charges a damage or cover fee. I told her that i was unhappy and felt profiled. No one discussed this charge by phone nor at check-in. The attendant then tells me that even if I paid with cash I would have had to pay a deposit. I told her that would have been fine with me as long as I KNEW what I had to pay or would be charged. The point of my funds being manipulated ruined my stay! I could care less about the room description or service compared to taking money without my permission. Thank goodness I put extra in this account to cover or I could have been facing overdraft fees and bad business situations. I'll stay on Greenville next time we're in town.

• Stayed: January 2013
Paul_Banta_GM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that our authorization policy did not meet your needs. I will address our team in regards to your review but I again apologize that this was not explained to you upon check in. We try to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel and hope that next time you are in the area you will consider staying with us.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

This hotel is the newest and nicest in Washington, but that being said, it's not the Ritz in Paris. You won't find luxury here, but it's a very nice hotel. The building is well built, and the rooms are quiet. Even with a family next door, we didn't hear any noise. The pool is small and very warm, so it's great for small kids, but not much for laps. The exercise room is small and consists of new equipment, but limited to a stairmaster, treadmill and a recumbent bike. Breakfast is standard fare with fruit, waffles, microwave breakfast stuff.

The beds are quite firm. Being a "side sleeper", I had sore shoulders each morning. WARNING: the pillows are huge, almost square block of shredded foam. If you don't like to sleep with your head at a 45 degree angle BRING YOUR OWN PILLOW. We asked for a softer pillow and were told that this was all the had.

Staff was friendly, but I don't really care. I'd rather have a grumpy person give me a nice room, than a nice person give me a lousy room. We had two towels, also, but with a quick phone call got more. So, all in all, we got what we paid for. Nice clean room, larger than average, in a nice building.

Room Tip: Ask about teams staying there. They often come in over the weekends for a tournament, and typically...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Enjoyed the clean, comfortable room for an overnight trip to the nearby NC Estuarium. Great free breakfast got us started on our day, with options for microwave hot breakfast choices, make your own waffle, and plenty of cereals and muffins. There is an execrise room, a nice oval pool and a whirlpool we wished we had time to try as they looked inviting. We are planning a returm trip to this area and will definitely stay here again. It is very easy to find when arriving via Rt 264.

Room Tip: Any room here will do, this isn't a scenic location so the room choice is not important.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I found myself traveling at night in the area and this Hampton Inn was like an oasis. Check in was friendly, the room was clean, spacious, your typical Hampton comfort. When I went to take a shower the next morning, I realized there were only two towels. Two bath towels to dry yourself. Not your average four bath towels. Two. That's certainly one way to cut down on the cleaning bills. Mr Owner, you sure do know how to cut costs!

So I go down for breakfast. Instead of someone preparing your hot items, you do it yourself! Your sausage sandwich is sitting in a plastic wrapper. So is your breakfast "pizza". See that microwave over there? You do it! Wow, that's enterprising, Mr Owner. Why pay someone to give your customers a comfortable breakfast when you can get those lazy customers to do it for themselves, right? And you save money again, right?

It was an okay stay, and quite frankly, where else are you going to stay in Washington, NC? The Four Seasons? But man, those cost-cutting measures bring the experience down. It's not your average Hampton excellence.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SingletonTraveler
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for about 9 years now. It is a decent hotel, but I believe slightly below Hampton Inn standards. With that being said, it is by far the best hotel in Washington,NC. The others are just plain scary. But this hotel has a little age on it and a little TLC will get it up to par. The rooms are good ,they are cleaned real good and no smell. The air condition in works great .The wireless, I can't comment on as I did'nt use it. The pool looks good but I didn't use it either. I stay for work and don't have a lot of time for pool play. The Breakfast area is always clean and has the basic items.The staff are attentive and always friendly, and happy to help when needed. I would recomend this hotel to anyone going this way. By the way the river walk in town is great. Great scenery there.

Room Tip: Higher floors for me usually are quiter. As far as which side of this hotel, about the same.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The rooms here are relatively large, clean and in good repair. I stay here when on business in the area. The price is higher than you might expect for this area but a AAA or AARP discount drops it a little. The heating/AC unit is adjusted by its own control knob. These never provide a consistent level room temperature as is true here. Although it is hard to complain about a free breakfast I will point out a few. With as few people as I have ever seen at breakfast the hotel personnel hardly ever have all items stocked sufficiently. The one other thing is the repetitiveness. If you stay here for a week, don't expect to see anything different each day. I have stayed at Hampton Inns where this isn't the case and I would rate higher.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I traveledt o Washington, NC this past weekend to attend the wedding of a family member. The Hampton Inn was one of the hotels recommended by the bride and groom. Other members of my boyfriends family such as his mother, his sister, brother-in-law and their 4 year old daughter also came along. This hotel certainly worked well for our purposes.

We knew we would be arriving late, and made sure we called ahead to alert the hotel of our late arrival. We showed up pretty close to midnight but no worries because our hotel room was waiting. The rooms are large and clean;I also always request a "quiet" room, someplace away from the elevators or vending machines. Interestingly, when we were going to our room the first time we noted a rather substantial number of young people running (or staggering, in some cases) who appeared pretty inebriated. We thought that perhaps local kids were having a post prom after party. It turned out that all of the kids were of legal age and they were all attending the same wedding as us the next day. I mention this because I think it was. Pretty isolated incident; the hotel doesn't strike me as a place that lets people rent rooms to "party".
Several posts have discussed the free breakfast the hotel serves. While the microwaved items left much to be desired, there was a make your own waffle station, a good assortment of hot and cold cereals, yogurt, fruit, coffee,tea, and juices.
The wifi is easy to use and access- I had my iPad accessing the Internets within moments.our room also had a refrigerator and a microwave; if you're staying for a few days you can easy walk to the supermarket across the street and get some food.
It was bloody hot in NC this weekend, so we were quite grateful dot the hotel's terrific indoor pool and hot tub. There were sustained bursts of rain all weekend long o you never knew what the weather was going to be in 10 minutes.
If you find yourself in washington NC do check out the Hmpton Inn!

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sojourner68
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Fairfield Inn and Suites Washington
#1 of 6 in Williamston
Residence Inn Greenville
Residence Inn Greenville
#5 of 22 in Greenville

Been to Hampton Inn Washington? Share your experiences!