“Great things and Weird things” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pamlico House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington
Pamlico House B&B
Ranked #2 of 2 Washington B&B and Inns
St. Louis, MO
“Great things and Weird things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was in Washington for a business trip for one night and stayed at the Pamlico House. To be fair, I don't usually stay at B&Bs for business, but it looked charming and fun. Virginia was very sweet and directed me to a binder of restaurants to choose from for the night. The room was very chilly, and there was a space heater in the room for my use. It would have been a nice touch to have this on before I arrived, as it took a long time for the room to get to a reasonable temp. The room did not have very many outlets, and I had to unplug a lamp to plug in my cell phone. There would have been no outlets for me to plug in a computer if needed. I would suggest a power strip.

I went to dinner, and when I came back, Virginia was having a dinner party with her friends. This was a weird thing for me, as I was staying in a room upstairs and kind of felt like I couldn't fully use the sitting areas and had to stay in my room. It was pretty loud and sounded like they were having quite a time until about 8:45 or so. I found this kind of weird since I was paying to stay there. It wasn't a huge deal - just strange.

I slept great, and VIrginia made french toast and sausage for breakfast, which was fabulous. I feel bad about the mediocre review because Virginia is so nice. However, I probably wouldn't stay there again because it was definitely awkward to be at a house where there was a party I wasn't invited to being thrown. Maybe that's just me...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
vfinnerty, Owner at Pamlico House B&B, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Even though Bed & Breakfasts are the preferred accommodations for thousands of people they are certainly not for everyone. Most, like the Pamlico House, are housed in old historic homes and therefore don’t have the amenities of modern buildings. Consequently, they can be chilly as well as a little “short” on electrical outlets. We work hard to ensure our guests comfort and make every attempt to handle these old time shortcomings as best we can. To address temperature we have both fans and space heaters in the rooms. Regarding outlets, we avoid extension cords and power strips as per the suggestion of our local fire marshal and endure this inconvenience in favor of fire safety.

Another feature of Bed & Breakfast is that they are also the innkeeper’s home. This is part of the charm and is seen as a plus by fans of the B & B experience, because it provides a very personal touch, and is more like staying with a friend than the impersonal cookie-cutter experience of being one of hundreds or thousands in a large, anonymous chain hotel. Regarding the reaction to my dinner guests, I admit it did not occur to me that it would be seen as my having a “party” at the inn and excluding guests, as it is also my home. I apologize and had no intention of making guests feel awkward. It was a Monday night, my college age daughter was visiting for a few days and as a very last-minute thing I invited my neighbors over to my house for dinner and to say hello. It was, as the reviewer noted, not a late evening and I certainly did not think the gathering was in any way inappropriate.

I would like to add that when checking in, I invite my guests to make themselves at home, pointing out they are free to use any of the common areas. I also ask them to please let me know if they have any questions or concerns and they are provided with a number to call at any time for any reason. I wish Melissa had told me how she felt when she was here, so that I could have had the opportunity to address her concerns at that time, and, I hope, alleviate any feeling that she was not welcome downstairs and was confined to her guestroom. I go out of my way to be a gracious and welcoming host, and it is always my intention to make my guests feel comfortable and at home.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Virginia is an excellent hostess and made us feel very welcome. The Christmas decorations both inside and out were very tasteful and unique. The rooms were comfortable and and breakfast was delicious. There were also many options for dining within walking distance. The NC Estuarium was within walking distance and worth a visit. We would stay at the Pamlico House again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Swansboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This was my first bed and breakfast experience and I was a little unsure of what to expect. However, I immediately felt at ease once I met Virginia. She had our bottle of wine waiting and was able to recommend wonderful places for dinner. The home was beautiful; breakfast was fantastic; and I would definitely stay at the Pamlico House again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seneca, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at the B&B for 3 nights to attend a wedding at the Civic Center and had a wonderful time. The B&B was clean, relaxing and Virginia (the owner, chef and host) was very accommodating. The breakfasts were outstanding and delicious with a beautiful presentation. There are good restaurants downtown for lunch and dinner and shopping for every interest. Virginia, the host, is very helpful about places one should see when in town. The next time we go to Washington, NC we will definitely stay at the Pamlico House B&B.

Room Tip: The Washington Room is very large and conveniently located on the first floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rock Hill, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Everything was first class! Breakfast was outstanding and the fact that there is a wine shop at the B&B enhances the experience even more. Virginia, owner, chef and bottle washer, was the perfect host. There was also local art displayed which led to a visit to Washington's two art co-operatives and several purchases. Good food was available in restaurant next to visitor center

Room Tip: I do not think there is a preferred choice among rooms, All rooms are quiet and have lots of light...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a picture postcard perfect Bed and Breakfast. Our room was lovely, relaxing, and extremely comfortable. We had a great nights sleep after attending a footbal game at ECU on a Saturday evening. Virginia, the owner, is charming and made us feel very welcome. On Sunday morning, Virginia prepared a wonderful breakfast of fruit and yougurt, eggs, sausage, potato casserole and toast. She even made a special breakfast fruit drink which was delicious. The food was served on china in the beautiful dining room where we mingled with the other guests. I would highly recommend this bed and breakfast, and when we return we will stay longer than one night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We made a huge mistake and only booked one night at Pamlico Inn. Room was very nice and very clean. Our hostess, Virginia, made us feel right at home and the full breakfast the next morning was fantastic. I would recommend this B&B to anyone.

Room Tip: Our room was on back corner away from either street. It was very quiet. I can't imagine noise...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Washington
Hampton Inn Washington
#5 of 6 in Washington
Hampton Inn Greenville
Hampton Inn Greenville
#1 of 21 in Greenville

Been to Pamlico House B&B? Share your experiences!