“Not Worth the Trip”

Dining options: Reservations
Garner, North Carolina
“Not Worth the Trip”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I just don't get it. Went here based on the wonderful reviews and still mad about the distance we traveled for the quality received. My first clue should have been the one car in the parking lot on a Friday evening. We were greeted promptly and led to an empty dining room; we were the only ones there and the run of the place. The smell in the restaurant is well beyond rustic. You will be overpowered with the musty, dank smell. We were quickly assaulted by small flies that we battled the entire meal. After fifteen minues of sitting all alone, the hostess reappeared and asked if we had seen a waitress yet. She apologized and found a waitress who complined the entire time of being pulled away from what she was doing when other "lazy as*es" could help out sometime. We were so shocked, we didn't know quite what to say. On to the food; Salad was ok, plain with the obvious bottled and sickly sweet dressing. I ordered the "King" cut prime rib and a stuffed potato. What I recieved was a small, gray slab of meat cook on a previous date. This was NOT fresh prime rib and had absolutley no taste whatsoever! The stuffed potato was fresh out of the microwave as the outside was blistering hot and the inside was ice cold. My wife had the crab stuffed filet which she enjoyed, could not stand the flavorless, microwave vegetables though. The cold dinner rolls served with dinner tasted just like the plastic they just came out of. The red wine was served in these tine, toy-like wine glasses. Ended up with two of these tiny flies in my wine through the meal. So much for showcasing your wines. This entire meal and experience was a disaster ! I hate to seem so negative, but I have not had a dining episode like this in many years and hope to save someone the aggravation who might think it's a good idea to travel any distance to try this place out. Total bill was $97.00 for the two of us and that really bothers me for the service and food we expeirenced.

• Visited June 2013
4 Thank DavidNC149

Buffalo, New York
“An old-fashioned hidden gem!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stumbled upon this restaurant while looking at my trip advisor app while traveling through North Carolina. We were on our way to the hotel in Wilmington, but we needed to stop for dinner. I loved this place as soon as we pulled in the driveway. It just has this fun, old-fashioned charm to it. When you walk inside it almost has a medieval feel to it. It has very dim lighting, dark walls, candlelit tables and the waitresses are dressed the part. Our server was very polite and quick. We all had a wonderful meal! It was a little pricey, but when I'm on vacation I expect that. I had the spinach stuffed chicken breasts and potatoes with a side salad. Honestly, my only complaint was that they were playing XM radio with current day songs, which threw off the whole mood of the setting. Add some more theme approriate background music and they're all set. A fun place to try at least once!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank travelinglady100
Wilmington, North Carolina
“A great little get away!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to visit after winning a bid for an overnight stay, dinner for 2 and two bottles of wine on the radio. We live in wilmington so it was a short drive but far enough away to feel like a mini vacation. We checked into the room and it was very clean and cute. It could use a little updating but nothing to complain about. The grounds are lovely. We walked around and looked at the fountain, vineyard and the old buildings. We went in and had a free wine tasting and bought a case because the wine was so good. The staff is over the top friendly and helpful and made us feel right at home. We went to dinner around 6 and the owner took time to give us some history on the inn and show us around which was really neat. The restaurant is unique and intimate with different dining areas. The Korean beef is out of this world. We purchased the marinade to take home. Each entree comes with salad, bread, sides and there is even cheese spread and veggies on the table when each guest arrives. We ended up taking dessert to go because we were stuffed! The ceasar salad is made table side fresh which was a fun experience. The steaks are served on sizzling plates which enhanced the flavors. I will be coming back again to try some of the other dishes. It was such a great overall experience that we really enjoyed!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank esolson327
Apex, North Carolina
“An Off the Beaten Track Gem!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We first visited the Country Squire on a motorcycle trip from Durham to Wilmington in July and chose a different beck road path. Even though the resaurant is closed for lunch on Saturday, the owner provided a wine tasting of their fabulous wines and her daughter toured us around the entire facilities. We decided to return to enjoy dinner in late September while attending the NC Muscadine Festival and we were thrilled! We had the Ribs and the Stuffed Chicken Breast and while we would order them again, we want to return and try something new. A must at dinner is a bottle of the heavenly Knicker Dropper Pomegranate wine. We would actually suggest a wine tasting and then dinner if you can. The atmosphere and the building are worth at least a visit but the food and wine they produce may make us spend a weekend in the inn as well. It was booked two months before the festival or we would have stayed there as well!

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank ggthor
New York
“Good food, better atmosphere!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We ate here on September 29th with another couple. It was a fabulous meal and we adored the building and atmosphere in general. The korean beef appetizer was super tender and tasty. We all got the prime rib and were very happy with it. One member of our party sent it back to be cooked more (but I didn't hold that against them since IMO prime rib should never be well done). All in all, we'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Visited September 2012