“Love it, Love it, Love it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wanchese
Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Wanchese B&B and Inns
Virginia Beach, VA
“Love it, Love it, Love it”
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My most recent trip to the Island House proved to be as enjoyable and comfortable as the last (August 2009.) The couple of times I have visited at the Island House it has always proven to be comfortable, relaxing and has given me the feeling of home. The Inn Keeper Jeanne welcomes guests with open arms and has never come across as one to make anyone feel unwelcome. There are four rooms all with different looks and feels to them....my favorite one happend to be at the front of the house where the most sunshine comes in....it's spacious and decorated in yellows and pinks......so cozy. In my opinion, this is one of the best B&B's on the Outer Banks and I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed April 18, 2010

Jeanne was fabulous. Her pleasant personality made me feel right at home. Breakfast was fantastic. Her cheese grits were unrivalled as were the other fixings. She made sure that I had every accommodation. She even gave suggestions on where to go and what to do. I will definitely be making another trip to wanchese in the near future. Can't wait to get some more of her famous grits.

• Stayed February 2010
1 Thank beachbum757
Pottstown, PA
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Staying at this bed and breakfast was the biggest mistake of my "travelling” life. It is the only time that I have ever seriously considered checking out of a place, moments after checking in, and demanding a full refund.

The problems started immediately upon checking in. My husband went in first to let the owner know we were there, while I situated some things in the rental car. My husband returned with the keys to our room and we went in together. A woman (not the innkeeper who my husband had JUST checked in with), immediately confronted us demanding to know “who we were and what room number we were staying in”. I told her that we were the **** family and that we were staying in the Willie suite. She again reiterated “WHAT ROOM NUMBER?” Thank goodness my husband was there because he said, “I think it is room number 5.” I do not know how he knew because on the website the rooms are given names not numbers. We later found out that the woman who accosted us is the innkeeper’s mother. Well, wasn’t that a warm welcome? Either there needs to be better communication between the innkeeper and her mother so that she also knows when guests check in or the mother should be kept away from paying guests until she learns better manners.

My husband and I went up to the Willie suite and everything appeared perfectly lovely at first. We went out to dinner and upon our return, I turned on the water in the whirlpool tub for a nice relaxing bubble bath. (Keep in mind that the ONLY reason why I had purposefully picked THIS bed and breakfast because they had a room with a whirlpool tub. I had packed and brought with me a large selection of “bath bombs”, herbal grains, etc. for my relaxing trip.) And. ..the water came out yellow! I mean strong yellow – like urine. I was horrified. My husband went downstairs to talk with the innkeeper, but she had already retired for the evening. I was disgusted and upset both by the facilities and our treatment thus far. We tried running the water thinking it was rust in the pipes. It stayed yellow. My husband said he would talk to the innkeeper the following morning to find out if this was a temporary or permanent problem.

The next day the innkeeper told my husband that the water is yellow due to the trees in the area. The sap contaminates the water and turns it the golden yellow. In other words, the problem is permanent. Mmmm…nothing like using a whirlpool tub full of steaming, foaming, pee colored water. My husband asked me if I wanted to leave. Here is the dilemma. Do you confront the innkeeper, get your money back, check out, find another place, and waste precious time on your trip OR do you stick it out? I decided to stick it out. Our time was too short.

Therefore, we went down to breakfast, which was admittedly good. Though I was disgusted to think that the coffee and the food were made with the same urine colored water as was filling the tub. I only drank coffee since at least the water was thoroughly heated.

The first few days my husband and I were the only people staying in the B&B. The innkeeper sat down with us while we ate, which was fine, except she proceeded to self-disclose all of her personal life problems. I will not go into detail here, because I do not want to be disrespectful. I feel sorry that she is going through all these personal problems. I think I am usually a sensitive and caring person!! On the other hand, I came on vacation to escape MY personal problems not to listen to someone else discuss their problems for 45 minutes each morning. Of course, what she did was entirely inappropriate. Frankly, I wish she would have just left my husband and I in peace so that we could have ate in private and talked about our plans for the day. My respectful advice to her is that she seeks out a therapist or counselor to discuss these private matters with, not with her paying guests.

A few other areas of concern: 1. The website states that sherry is provided free of charge in each room. Be prepared to have to ask for it. I strongly dislike when innkeepers promise certain amenities on their website and then make you hunt them down and ask for them. It should have been in our room on Day one OR, if she is concerned about wasting it, she should have asked on check in if we would have like some brought up. 2. The website promises terry cloth robes in each room. They were also not provided. It was not as much as an issue since I had brought my own. I had been planning to use that whirlpool tub! Too bad I never used it. 3. The website states that there are dogs in the house. Now I am a dog lover. I have two dogs of my own. However, a prospective guest needs to beware. She does not have a few dogs she has TONS of dogs. At least five dogs live in the house alone. She breeds dogs and keeps more dogs out back. We were told that if the barking kept us up all night that we could close certain doors, etc. to try and reduce the noise!! At the minimum a hotel needs to provide a place to sleep and shower. This had now failed both requirements!

OK. I think I am done now. If you go, beware. The water color will not have changed as this is a permanent condition of their well water. You will be bathing in, showering in, brushing your teeth with, and drinking water that is, at best, aesthetically unappealing and, at worst, not potable. Now that I read all this in print, I realize, I should have just demanded a refund and left, huh?

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traebuy
islandhouse0911, owner/innkeeper at Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, April 20, 2010
I just found this review doing some updates of various sites my B&B is on. I don't feel the need to address all or any of this customers complaints, as the review is over a year old and at this point nothing can be done to satisfy this former customer. I do wish that they had advised me of the fact that they felt so unhappy. I probably could have resolved some or all of the issues they felt that they had with my B&B. We have been in business for over 14 years, and we take great pride in our service and customer treatment. Please read reviews on this site and other B&B sites Respectfully submitted, Owner/innkeeper Island House Of Wanchese B&B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We recently stayed at the Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast for three nights. We arrived late in the evening, but had made prior arrangements. As promised, our keys were exactly where they were supposed to be. On entering the house, we knew right away we were going to enjoy our stay! The house is a beautiful old home that is stuffed full of interesting antiques and other collections. Breakfasts were excellent and we enjoyed talking with the owners of the B&B. They had excellent recommendations for dinner (we really enjoyed the view from Strypers!) and lots of great tips on things to see and do in the area. The dogs were also great to meet! Believe us, there is a lot more to do in the area than just go to the beach - although that is a big part of the draw here! We took in Festival Park in Manteo, the Fort Raleigh Historical Site, the Elizbethan gardens, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, and many other sights. We enjoyed the beaches (If you drive on the beaches, be sure to air your tires down to 20 psi - it makes life much, much easier) and the ocean while we were there as well. Our room was quaint and pleasant and we truly enjoyed our stay. Wanchese is just a bit off the beaten path and is a great place to get away from the touristy feel of so much of the rest of the area. If you need to be in the center to the action, this probably isn't the place for you. Otherwise, we highly recommend it and will return again!

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 23, 2005

We stayed only one night at the Island House of Wanchese, and really wished we could stay longer. It was so quaint, full of antiques and collections. The innkeepers, Jeanne and Roy, are so great and had some interesting stories to share at breakfast. It was my first experience at a B & B, but we stayed at several others along the NC coast that week, as we were touring all the lighthouses. Island House was definitely my favorite, as well as my boyfriends favorite. It has a character that is not easy to describe here. I would highly recommend it. Breakfast was delicious! And the small touches like the chocolates and stout in our room was a surprise. They made a very good recommendation for dinner at Tale of the Whale. All in all, it was a great stay! We'll be back.

• Stayed May 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wanchese
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
Elizabethan Inn
Elizabethan Inn
#2 of 2 in Manteo

Been to Island House of Wanchese Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!