“Friendly Farmer, Adorable Animals”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Winterpast Farm

Winterpast Farm
Ranked #9 of 27 things to do in Wake Forest
Raleigh, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Friendly Farmer, Adorable Animals”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We went to the Winterpast Farm today with my 6 yo son and his friend. We all loved the place and the kids couldn't stop talking about it for the rest of the day. The animals there (many are rescues) are well taken care of by Farmer Mary and her children. Visitors can feed the animals and pet them and help with some of the chores. There are bunnies, guinea pigs, goats, donkeys, llama, pigs and more. Chickens run around freely and an in-ground pool has been converted into a lovely pond with fish, ducks, and turtles. There are lots of swings and some playground equipment for younger kids, but most kids visiting the farm today preferred to pet and feed the animals or just run around the farm. Do keep in mind that it is a farm and not a petting zoo or a park. The animals are allowed to roam so yes, there are animal droppings here and there. And just like on any other working farm, there are lots of things for the farmer to do and lots of projects under way. So if you expect a very tidy, very clean and manicured place, you better go elsewhere. We thought the place very safe, safe enough to let our kids run around and explore on their own while we, the adults, chatted with Farmer Mary. But if your child is very young and tends to put hands (and whatever she grabs in them) in her mouth for a taste, then this is not a safe place for her (as is any other farm). Speaking of Farmer Mary, she was very welcoming and friendly, took time to answer our questions and told us about her animals. By the way, there was a restroom there and a hand-washing station when we visited.

Visited September 2013
8 Thank lilmac2012

Charlotte, NC, USA
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Basically a poorly maintained petting zoo”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Good for 4 to 8 year olds who love animals and want to get up close and personal with them. Plenty of opportunity to hold and feed small animals like bunnies and guinea pigs. Also feed goats, donkeys and emus. Not very safe for littler kids as grounds are not well maintained in terms of toddler safety. Wear old sneakers as you will inevitably step in dung of some type. I disagree with another reviewer that the owner.... Farmer Mary...is rude. I've seen her interact with kids a number of times and she is patient and kind. Just not a warm and fuzzy type. Mary recently doubled the admission price from $5 to $10. I think this was a poor idea and that she should rethink it. We go much less often since the price doubled

Visited September 2013
6 Thank Carol G
Wake Forest, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Misrepresented”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

I thought Mary was a sweet lady over the phone but when my 6yr old granddaughter and i met her she was very inpatient and rude to my granddaughter. not to mention the way she treated my dog, i was looking for a good home for my great dane puppy, Mary called me and seemed to be pretty excited about seeing him and possible keeping him. it was very hard for me to let go, i start to cry. Mary said to me don't worry you could come see him when ever you like and if you cannot let go than i will give him back. so i thought the lord had answered my prayer. but to make a long story short, mary had my great dane for 2 weeks she finally let me visit him, i than realized it was a bad idea. because i was very sad when i left. Mary called me a few days later and said well you know my refrigerator went out and i dont think i can afford to keep your dog, can you come get him, and bring a flea pill because he rolled over in a deer bed????? and was full of fleas. i bought the pill over we waited 20min and started washing him he must have had millions of flea's on him his ears was bloody and raw, and full of debris. he smelled like death. my baby was so happy to see me. she ask me if i needed help getting him in the car, my dog was jumping on top of my car trying to get in. one good thing Mary did for me, she made me realize how much i love my dog Jimbo.

Visited August 2012
12 Thank Luerene L
Raleigh
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Not ready for visitors”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Hello. I just took my two children to Winterpast Farm and was really dissapointed. I feel obligated to write this review since this is a place for families. I was shocked when I pulled up. Farmer Mary means well but her "farm" is nothing more than an acre of land which her home stands on, with animals running wild in that acre. I didn't know if we were walking in mud or poop. The farm really needs some TLC before being open to the public. I paid $30 ($10 each). The fencing and enclosures were old, dirty, and junk was laying around everywhere. I had to move a huge peice of glass from under a swing before my son could attempt to use it. This is not a place for very young kids. There is no place to wash your hands, no bathroom, etc. Bottom line, the whole place needs an overhaul and the "admission" charge is way too much for what you get. The pictures and website are deceiving. Sorry to write this because I know this is Mary's livelihood, but the truth should be told. I thought I did my research. The reviews I read were great but when I saw it all with my own two eyes, this is what I've come away with.

Visited February 2013
23 Thank Raleigh M
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lots of farm fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Very neat experience for my young boys! They got up close and personal with sweet animals and enjoyed feeding them!

Visited June 2012